ADVERTISEMENT

IQ is predictive. But another, possibly more highly predictive trait...

You need to read that thread from Talib on my twitter feed. It gets deep into this stuff.

I'm neck deep in it. Not that thread exactly, but on the topic specifically. Emailed myself the pdf's of a handful of studies last night to read this weekend.

There's a saying that I always told my kids, "10% of life is what's thrown at you, 90% is how you react"

Did you intend this to say "IQ < ability to delay gratification?"

As written, it's not really clear what you're saying.

That's a theory that some smart guy came up with. I think it's an oversimplification, but he makes a point. A genius that cant' delay gratification is immobilized in life. A moron that can will be more successful in about every dimension of life. Where does cognitive, pattern-spotting ability cede to real world ability to discharge a task?

That's a theory that some smart guy came up with. I think it's an oversimplification, but he makes a point. A genius that cant' delay gratification is immobilized in life. A moron that can will be more successful in about every dimension of life. Where does cognitive, pattern-spotting ability cede to real world ability to discharge a task?

Just making sure, because you originally typed "IQ = ability to delay gratification."

I agree with him that it edges out the generic IQ.

I've lived it, have seen truly brilliant friends crumble into shells due to long term lack of impulse control, and believe Toon has a bright future if he can reign in/manage that part of himself.

and believe Toon has a bright future if he can reign in/manage that part of himself.

WHy do you say he's not in the middle of a bright future? Does he wake up happy? Fulfilled? Motivated to do something he enjoys?

WHy do you say he's not in the middle of a bright future? Does he wake up happy? Fulfilled? Motivated to do something he enjoys?

Brighter....as a measure of potential.

He still shows tendencies that he hasn't mastered impulse issues.

Don't get your knickers twisted, I do hope he ends up happy and satisfied.

Interesting link between childhood lead exposure and lack of impulse control.

Fall in violent crime rate in the US just happens to lag the fall in lead content in gasoline by 20 years.

Reactions: CowboyJD
That’s pretty simple really. Many studies (not going to cite them) have shown that is you do the following things in order you are more likely to have financial security.

1. Graduate High School
2. Get married
3. Have children

Most (obviously not all) people who have the self control to do these three things on this order will have self control to do other things in life.

Speaking of someone who shows impulse issues ***shrugs shoulders ***
giphy.gif

Reactions: Medic007
Speaking of someone who shows impulse issues ***shrugs shoulders ***

I acknowledge that trait to myself after I realized it was one I possessed. I proactively seek to treat it and mitigate against scenarios where I may be more likely to act on it.

Are you doing the same? If not, you're spinning your wheels.

Marshmellow test has been debunked recently.

That's interesting to hear.

Its seems like a very practical test to show one's ability to put off pleasure in the present to reap greater rewards in the future.

That's interesting to hear.

Its seems like a very practical test to show one's ability to put off pleasure in the present to reap greater rewards in the future.
It's actually a test of a kids' parents keeping promises

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT