ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Sunday

RNGwaddie

2nd Team
Aug 25, 2005
Iowa State (6-1 overall, 0-0 Big 12) takes on No. 8 Oklahoma State (5-2, 1-0 Big 12), Sunday, in Hilton
Coliseum. The Cyclones are coming off an impressive, 21-12, performance against No. 6 Virginia Tech.
The victory is the program's fi rst over a top-10 opponent (coaches' poll) since Jan. 31, 2010, when the
squad defeated No. 6 Cornell.

Pokes

Dolan lost to Gabe Moreno 6-2.
Collica defeats Goettle 8-2.

Pokes up 10-6 at the break.

Not sure who is doing the commentary, but he's driving me crazy. He seems pretty knowledgable, but wants staling and stalemates called way to quick.

Nice win for Crutchmer, 7-4. Pokes up 17-6.

If I was an ISU fan I would go crazy watching weatherman, he moves a ton and doesn't shoot.

Marsden wins, score and announcers said 4-3, but I think it was 5-3. Pokes win 20-15.

I am hesitant to make any comments on anyone after listening to Mr. Holt but here goes:

Kudos to Eddie for coming back big time at 125. Gary Wayne also got way behind on a throw and came back to make the match respectable. Dean Heil had an excellent win and close to a tech fall at 141 17-3 and going for more when time ran out. Davey Dolan fought and lost only by a regular decision to #13 Gabe Moreno. Anthony Collica dominated a veteran Sr. wrestler in Luke Goetl and was trying for a major when time ended to win 8-2.

Alex had a takedown and three point near fall in the first period. He scored a takedown against two escapes for Moreno #14 in the second and had two takedowns against two escapes in the third for a nice 13-3 major decision.

Kyle Crutchmer wrestled Tanner Weatherman ranked #10 and dominated with a takedown in the first, a takedown in the 2nd and an escape and final takedown in the 3rd for a 7-4 win. Kudos for Kyle!

The Boyd vs. Weatherspoon match decided on one failed move by Boyd nd he could not come back from the four points Weatherspoon scored in the first period although he pushed the action in the 2nd and third periods but could not finish.

Luke Bean kept it close (2-1) in the first but after Gadsen took down and escaped and then ended the match with a lateral drop to his back for the fall.

Score is 17-15 going into heavyweight and feeling good after Austin Marsden scores a takedown in the first period. Turns out this is his only shot or takedown the whole weekend. Austin is much better than Mellon and Smith and he either gave them way too much respect or he has reverted to last year when he made few shots. He can NOT make All-American again if he wrestles like this in March. The good side is that he won the two matches but the bad side is he will have to beat better wrestlers to reach the podium. Everyone can have a bad weekend and I am hoping that its all it is. He is definitely talented enough to place high and I believe he can win it all if he lets go and gets offensive!

Jim Gibbons normally does the commentary but he was working a BTN dual (I think) so today it was Ed Banach. I thought he did a decent job his first time filling in but his commentary was a lot more "fan yelling from the stands" than it was being a broadcast commentator.

Jud, that makes sense. He really didn't do bad and I probably should have altered my expectations since I was listening to an ISU feed. It was a lot better than the midlands or most of the BTN feeds.

And when I say alter my expectations, that is I should have expected a bit of a bias, just like I do when I listen to the pokes.

This post was edited on 1/25 9:58 PM by april racer

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT