ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting vid on X

It’s interesting that we didn’t notice a few Wrestlers.

But, this has been talked about publicly for several years. It’s even been said PSU doesn’t have injuries because they only play “wall ball” instead of grueling practice sessions.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
It’s interesting that we didn’t notice a few Wrestlers.

But, this has been talked about publicly for several years. It’s even been said PSU doesn’t have injuries because they only play “wall ball” instead of grueling practice sessions.
Love to see the guys having fun. But, they've had some REALLY hard practices since Coach Taylors arrival.

Love to see the guys having fun. But, they've had some REALLY hard practices since Coach Taylors arrival.
As long as they understand the point of those hard practices which I'm sure was explained to them, then great. I think it is a terrific sign that DT is a serious coach. He is separating the wheat from the chaff and getting to know who has the fire in the belly. He'll probably continue them during the season too at strategic times to keep their levels up. Cael usually does it in January, and you can tell because the whole team seems to come out flat for a meet.

Another great sign is that you guys only lost 2-3 wrestlers to the portal even after the culture shock and new training regimen.

Are you able to expand on that a little? I remember the story of Quentin Wright. Two time champ and three time finalist. The team couldn't leave practice one night until every guy got out from bottom. Q had to get out from under Matt Brown, a real hammer on top. Took Q 45 minutes to get out. I can not imagine doing that for 45 minutes in front of my teammates.

Reactions: bwel9339
Are you able to expand on that a little? I remember the story of Quentin Wright. Two time champ and three time finalist. The team couldn't leave practice one night until every guy got out from bottom. Q had to get out from under Matt Brown, a real hammer on top. Took Q 45 minutes to get out. I can not imagine doing that for 45 minutes in front of my teammates.
Just told by someone close to the program that several of the practices have been no joke. No details on what that entails but I was told what some of the guys were weighing after some of these practices and I was like holy crap!

Just told by someone close to the program that several of the practices have been no joke. No details on what that entails but I was told what some of the guys were weighing after some of these practices and I was like holy crap!
That's great. Sounds like guys are buying into what Taylor is selling. It will become true that the hardest days wrestling will be in your room, and not in matches and tournaments. Can't wait to see your guys at the Scuffle. Hope your team goes.

Caels teams always peak in March....ALWAYS! You can damn well bet Taylor knows the approach it takes to pull that off. To me, that's the biggest gain OSU will get from hiring David. Well...second to what his ability will eventually prove out to be recruiting wise.
Yes! This year John talked about the practice schedule after B12. I couldn't believe it. Its like a marathon, there's nothing you can do in the two weeks prior that will help you, only things that might hurt you. Look at Cleveland Steven Schmidt, 40-0 #1 seed, tore his ACL in practice between conf & NCAA, cost us a team title. How does that happen?

Yes! This year John talked about the practice schedule after B12. I couldn't believe it. Its like a marathon, there's nothing you can do in the two weeks prior that will help you, only things that might hurt you. Look at Cleveland Steven Schmidt, 40-0 #1 seed, tore his ACL in practice between conf & NCAA, cost us a team title. How does that happen?
The hay is in the barn well before Valentine’s Day.

Took this from a post on the PSU board. They were talking about how crazy elite guys really are.

The egocentrism and inhuman competitiveness that makes a few people genuinely great athletes, often makes them less than great human beings.
Here's an excerpt from a fascinating profile of John Smith that I read years ago:

"I make a commitment that no other wrestler does. There are probably a few wrestlers out there who think they make a commitment. But I really make a commitment.
Anything that gets in my way, I pretty much eliminate. I don’t have too many close friends. I don’t have too many close relationships. I just can’t afford to have them to go where I want to go, to do what I want to do. I really focus on myself. I really figure out and find a way how I can win, how I can beat everybody. I’ll do whatever it takes.
Put it this way: I’ve never had a girlfriend I’ve been good to, you know. Because I’d blow them off when it was time to go to work. I’d say, ‘Don’t come around. I don’t want to (see you).’ It’s been hard on some of those girls. They don’t understand it. But it’s like, ‘Hey, I’m in love with this more than I am with you.’
I’ve probably hurt a lot of people because of this. But you gotta do what you gotta do if this is what you want.”

John Smith in the Los Angeles Times. July 19, 1992

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT