ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

My daughter was born on Christmas Eve so lots to catch up on here. First and foremost you cant blame Lee or give him shit for simply relaying what he is told. He isn’t the one calling the shots or running the program. If anything Lee has been a great addition to this board along with providing insight with his podcast. You don’t have to take every word he says to heart, believe or agree with what he says but once again he’s been a nice ambassador to the program. So Lee keep it up.

Secondly, with regards to the rumors of bringing a couple of senior level guys to the RTC. We don’t want just anyone. You need to find the right guys who will have an immediate impact on recruitment, development with a strong public face and active with competition. Those select individuals have to want to come to Stillwater to live, possible move their families. It’s not as easy as 1,2,3.

My daughter was born on Christmas Eve so lots to catch up on here. First and foremost you cant blame Lee or give him shit for simply relaying what he is told. He isn’t the one calling the shots or running the program. If anything Lee has been a great addition to this board along with providing insight with his podcast. You don’t have to take every word he says to heart, believe or agree with what he says but once again he’s been a nice ambassador to the program. So Lee keep it up.

Secondly, with regards to the rumors of bringing a couple of senior level guys to the RTC. We don’t want just anyone. You need to find the right guys who will have an immediate impact on recruitment, development with a strong public face and active with competition. Those select individuals have to want to come to Stillwater to live, possible move their families. It’s not as easy as 1,2,3.
Congratulations!

People can post whatever they want. They can agree or disagree with anyone or anything. That includes Lee, me, you, everyone. Free board and free country. I think most would prefer that things remain somewhat civil though.

Congrats on your daughter BTW.

Reactions: JAY45 and Okie_Pat
People can post whatever they want. They can agree or disagree with anyone or anything. That includes Lee, me, you, everyone. Free board and free country. I think most would prefer that things remain somewhat civil though.

Congrats on your daughter BTW.
100%
We clearly all have a common passion for the program and sport. We are all frustrated with the lack of direction of the RTC and with the success of the program. I would like to think this is one of the more civil wrestling boards out there. Haven’t been on many others lately though.

And thank you! Everything went well and everyone is healthy and happy!

There is a much greater chance we win a NC in wrestling than in baseball for a variety of reasons.
Jax Forrest beat Lilledahl in the Powerade finals 3 to 1 and likely will move to number 1 at 120. He gave some credit to training in Stillwater with Daton Fix and our coaches in the last few weeks. His high school coach was Josh Kindig but now he wrestles at that Bishop McCort who tried to be able to wrestle for Pennsylvania State Tournament but I believe they were denied. Getting Forrest who is a freshman who won a silver at Cadet Worlds this last summer would be big.

Last edited:
Jax Forrest beat Lilledahl in the Powerade finals 3 to 1 and likely will move to number 1 at 120. He gave some credit to training in Stillwater with Daton Fix and our coaches in the last few weeks. His high school coach was Josh Kindig but now he wrestles at that Bishop McCort who tried to be able to wrestle for Pennsylvania State Tournament but I believe they were denied. Getting Forrest who is a freshman who won a silver at Cadet Worlds this last summer would be big.
His teammate, Bo Bassett, is a hammer too. Just TF'd the number 4 ranked guy at 113, (Gill-NC State commit). He also beat Beric Jordan (#2 at 113-2024 Ok. State commit) 9-0 a few weeks ago at Ironman.

He and Jax are both Frosh. Let's start the NIL fundraising now. We have 3 years.

Bixby vs Gilroy tonight on DC's YouTube channel. Could see a possible Jersey Robb vs Cody Merrill matchup (I'm not sure if Merrill has wrestled yet this season). And Jace Roller might be back from injury too.

Bixby will also be at the Doc B this weekend (Flo is streaming). Ray Blake is putting together a tough national schedule for them - Ironman, NWHOF duals & Doc B.

Bixby vs Gilroy tonight on DC's YouTube channel. Could see a possible Jersey Robb vs Cody Merrill matchup (I'm not sure if Merrill has wrestled yet this season). And Jace Roller might be back from injury too.

Bixby will also be at the Doc B this weekend (Flo is streaming). Ray Blake is putting together a tough national schedule for them - Ironman, NWHOF duals & Doc B.

Jace wrestled in their last dual so hopefully he is good to go tonight.

One of Seth's articles mentioned Mitchell Mesenbrink is entering the portal. He was #12 PFP on Flo's 2022 Big Board.

Big freestyle guy, he just wrestled 74 KG at the Bill Farrell. He would be a perfect fit for us at 165.

Last edited:
Askren trained though. Don't think we stand a chance with those guys.
Oh I'm counting on Ben bad mouthing us. There's an interview with Mesenbrink on Rokfin. He plans to train at AWA this spring along with spending time at various RTCs and the OTC.

Makes too much sense not to make a serious push. Askren can't direct him to Mizzou because O'Toole is there. Have Alex call and tell him how Stillwater treats Wisconsin guys. And have the coaches tell him about the latest CWC plans.

Oh I'm counting on Ben bad mouthing us. There's an interview with Mesenbrink on Rokfin. He plans to train at AWA this spring along with spending time at various RTCs and the OTC.

Makes too much sense not to make a serious push. Askren can't direct him to Mizzou because O'Toole is there. Have Alex call and tell him how Stillwater treats Wisconsin guys. And have the coaches tell him about the latest CWC plans.

O'Toole would go up if they get Mesenbrink. And yes, a hard push should be made to get Mesenbrink.

BTW, if people haven't seen yet, Alex was added to Michigan's staff as recruiting and video coordinator. Mineo tweeted it the other day.

Even if Alex wasn't on staff, I don't think Sean Bormet would appreciate him calling recruits/transfers on our behalf. The comment was really just to point out Wisconsin guys can be very successful at OSU (including freestyle).

I think it's UNI, Iowa State, or Mizzou.

Not to say that our staff shouldn't make a push and try to get the kid when they're able to contact him. They absolutely should. We need depth in the middle weights in a big way, and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. So make the calls and try to get in front of him to make a pitch.

I'm just saying that I don't think it will happen and that we probably shouldn't get our hopes up as fans. I hope I'm wrong. Would be awesome to get him.

I think it's UNI, Iowa State, or Mizzou.

Not to say that our staff shouldn't make a push and try to get the kid when they're able to contact him. They absolutely should. We need depth in the middle weights in a big way, and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. So make the calls and try to get in front of him to make a pitch.

I'm just saying that I don't think it will happen and that we probably shouldn't get our hopes up as fans. I hope I'm wrong. Would be awesome to get him.
We could certainly be longshots. But if we lose out to UNI or ISU, that's a bad sign IMO. PSU or Ohio St, sure. Mizzou, ok. Wisconsin, fine.

Mesenbrink is more than depth. He would start out of the gate and likely be an impact guy in his 1st or 2nd year. We're looking at a big hole at 165 next year (who starts?). Thompson said in an interview he'll be 174-197. Lockett is a soph.

We lost AJ, Anthony, Montalvo & Boone and replaced them with only Carroll & Heeg. Should be plenty of scholly $ available. We have $1M in RTC assets. We developed a Wisconsin kid into a Hodge winner at the same weight class. Mesenbrink is a Junior world silver medalist, he has big freestyle goals. We developed a college wrestler into a Senior world silver medalist. The sales pitch writes itself.

Reactions: bwel9339 and DPJ
We could certainly be longshots. But if we lose out to UNI or ISU, that's a bad sign IMO. PSU or Ohio St, sure. Mizzou, ok. Wisconsin, fine.

Mesenbrink is more than depth. He would start out of the gate and likely be an impact guy in his 1st or 2nd year. We're looking at a big hole at 165 next year (who starts?). Thompson said in an interview he'll be 174-197. Lockett is a soph.

We lost AJ, Anthony, Montalvo & Boone and replaced them with only Carroll & Heeg. Should be plenty of scholly $ available. We have $1M in RTC assets. We developed a Wisconsin kid into a Hodge winner at the same weight class. Mesenbrink is a Junior world silver medalist, he has big freestyle goals. We developed a college wrestler into a Senior world silver medalist. The sales pitch writes itself.

It's not a bad sign. It's relationships and connections, and that guy's relationships and connections point away from OSU and towards UNI, ISU, and Mizzou. The guy he committed to CBU with, MJ Gaitan, is at Iowa State and his parents are from Ames. UNI and Mizzou have tight relationships with the Askrens. It would mean nothing about OSU if he chooses any of those schools.

Reactions: JAY45
It's not a bad sign. It's relationships and connections, and that guy's relationships and connections point away from OSU and towards UNI, ISU, and Mizzou. The guy he committed to CBU with, MJ Gaitan, is at Iowa State and his parents are from Ames. UNI and Mizzou have tight relationships with the Askrens. It would mean nothing about OSU if he chooses any of those schools.
I didn't know the parents were from Iowa.

Carr still has another year left at ISU, so Mesenbrink would have to go 157. That's a possibility I guess. But then freestyle could also be an issue. They have both wrestled 74 KG. So either someone moves or they compete against each other for a World Team spot. And that wouldn't be an option for the Olympics.

I didn't know the parents were from Iowa.

Carr still has another year left at ISU, so Mesenbrink would have to go 157. That's a possibility I guess. But then freestyle could also be an issue. They have both wrestled 74 KG. So either someone moves or they compete against each other for a World Team spot. And that wouldn't be an option for the Olympics.

Messenbrink also has an Olympic Redshirt.

Again, would love to get him so hopefully they're working whatever angle they can. Hopefully he's tight with Thompson and Carroll from their trip to juniors and they're in his ear. I would be very happy to be wrong.

Again, would love to get him so hopefully they're working whatever angle they can. Hopefully he's tight with Thompson and Carroll from their trip to juniors and they're in his ear. I would be very happy to be wrong.
What is the tight relationship between UNI and Askren? Is it more than Keckeisen?

I saw in the DOC Buchanen That Thompson won by major, fall and then Brayden lost by disqualification. Could not find a replay so I don't know what happened.

Last edited:
I saw in the DOC Buchanen That Thompson won by major, fall and then Brayden lost by disqualification. Could not find a replay so I don't know what happened.
Just looked through the brackets and he's dq'd in his next match also. Wonder what happened to get kicked out of the tournament?

Just looked through the brackets and he's dq'd in his next match also. Wonder what happened to get kicked out of the tournament?
Another top Illinois guy DQ'd out also, Vincent Robinson (the guy Cael Hughes beat in the Ironman semi).

The other strange thing is that Brayden's team is competing at the Cheesehead in WI, but he's at the Doc B in Cali. Someone will probably tweet what went down.

Another top Illinois guy DQ'd out also, Vincent Robinson (the guy Cael Hughes beat in the Ironman semi).

The other strange thing is that Brayden's team is competing at the Cheesehead in WI, but he's at the Doc B in Cali. Someone will probably tweet what went down.
Jersey Robb and Jace Roller are in the semi's at Doc. Jersey won by pin and major, and Roller won by 3 pins and then 3 to 1 over Paul Kelly who had a close match with Cael Hughes who wrestled up a weight class at the HOF duals.

Reactions: DPJ
Jersey Robb and Jace Roller are in the semi's at Doc. Jersey won by pin and major, and Roller won by 3 pins and then 3 to 1 over Paul Kelly who had a close match with Cael Hughes who wrestled up a weight class at the HOF duals.

Really glad to see Jace wrestling well. He was just cleared a few weeks again and is still working into shape and sharpness.

Really glad to see Jace wrestling well. He was just cleared a few weeks again and is still working into shape and sharpness.
How well is Giddings-Buttram from Bixby wrestling this year? His family told me he visited Princeton & really liked it. I'm getting the feeling he won't be at OSU even though that;s what he would like.

How well is Giddings-Buttram from Bixby wrestling this year? His family told me he visited Princeton & really liked it. I'm getting the feeling he won't be at OSU even though that;s what he would like.

He is doing well. He has hit a bit of a growth spurt so adjusting to that.

He is a kid who I think will jump levels over the next 12 months as he adjusts. Just not sure where he projects and what our needs will be.

Stillwater & Edmond No in a tight race at Geary. In the semis, Cael Hughes beat Hunter Hollingsworth & Kael Voinovich beat Kody Routledge. McComas isn't wrestling.

Back from an ACL repair. He had to take an injury timeout in the Gilroy dual when the knee got twisted. Seems to be ok though and wrestling pretty well right now.
Jace got beat 3 to 1 in overtime by a Mantanona brother number 1 see. Weird there are 2 star Mantanona brothers wrestling in this tournament I just checked and both are committed to Michigan. The thought hit me that something that has hurt us over the last 10 years is that our former wrestling greats sons have been good wrestlers but not real good wrestlers. I think that Joe had the most talent and if he wouldn't have got side tracked he might have been a National Champ at 165

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT