ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

I am pretty sure VV started taking some losses either his junior or senior year? May have had his best years in either his freshman or sophomore years. I could be wrong and if I am, call me out on it. But if I am right, his development may have something to do with him. With that said, I do believe John needs to trust in his younger staff with recruiting and training also. I do believe a lot of people come here and stop getting better, but VV may be a bad example of that. I think Fix is the best example of it. He is stale.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
I am pretty sure VV started taking some losses either his junior or senior year? May have had his best years in either his freshman or sophomore years. I could be wrong and if I am, call me out on it. But if I am right, his development may have something to do with him. With that said, I do believe John needs to trust in his younger staff with recruiting and training also. I do believe a lot of people come here and stop getting better, but VV may be a bad example of that. I think Fix is the best example of it. He is stale.
A much better assessment

Christian Carroll is a beast. I can not wait to see him and Feldman go at it! I really believe that Carroll is going to show us a lot with what direction the program goes into. I have faith and feel Carroll is going to get better and it is going to help get the team better!!!!!!

Well said.

But to be clear my statement was more so about why he decided to leave. Wasn’t meant to be an opinion on if his lack of success was self v coach inflicted.

Vv was lookin for more of a PSU method of practice style and before conference tourney backing off the grind style and let them be fresh for what really matters. Vv is a good Kid hope he has success .

Reactions: Dar.of.Emur
It still seems like level of interest in his brother was a contributing factor in his decision as well. Likely not THE factor, perhaps one that tipped the scales on the main factor. It looks like there are plenty of good options at Kael’s weight.

Hate to lose VV for a lot of reasons. At the end of the day, it doesn’t feel insurmountable for OSU.

Reactions: gyppoke and osu2082
It still seems like level of interest in his brother was a contributing factor in his decision as well. Likely not THE factor, perhaps one that tipped the scales on the main factor. It looks like there are plenty of good options at Kael’s weight.

Hate to lose VV for a lot of reasons. At the end of the day, it doesn’t feel insurmountable for OSU.

It was a big one for the family.

VV could have been great or he could have been perennial top #20. He had a great first match where he came back from a huge deficit but nearly every other match was tie-up, tie-up, tie-up.
Rumor is that VV is leaving due to development concerns with how the current practice/scheme is setup.
Rumor started on this board? Lol
Christian Carroll is a beast. I can not wait to see him and Feldman go at it! I really believe that Carroll is going to show us a lot with what direction the program goes into. I have faith and feel Carroll is going to get better and it is going to help get the team better!!!!!!
Me too! Lets goooo haha. It'll be great to have a great heavyweight again!

Will Feldcamp is in the portal, someone on another forum suggested he is coming to ostate, 184 returning all American, is that a need?

Reactions: driad
Will Feldcamp is in the portal, someone on another forum suggested he is coming to ostate, 184 returning all American, is that a need?
I would say 197 is a need. Give guys a couple of years to be AAs and then get proven guys.

Witlake is an undersized 184 who has struggled and dealt with several injuries including surgery after NCAA’s.

If we can land an AA contender then that would be an upgrade at the weight.

Found this interview yesterday trying to see any of Carroll's matches from the Open (no surprise, Flo only shared individual matches from their darlings which doesn't include OSU). Interesting commentary on OSU's approach. Said part of why he picked OSU is that we DON'T make a habit of bringing in transfers with bigtime NIL money.

I realize this goes against the dominant view here of John Bad NIL Good, but I found it interesting and thought I'd share.
I found all 6 of Christian Carroll’s US OPEN matches on Flo….plus the video you provided. You just have to go to Videos and put “Christian Carroll” in the search bar…

I would say 197 is a need. Give guys a couple of years to be AAs and then get proven guys.
Not sure I see 197 as a need either. Surber has 3 years left with the Covid year. He enters this year probably a fringe AA consideration. We have Robb coming in at 197/Heavy. Heeg could also be considered to bulk to 197 I bet.

At 184 you have Haas and Thompson and possible Heeg. Not including if Wittlake stays up there for this year.

We will take a hammer at any weight, but our only true needs IMO right now is 157. Otherwise the 2024 class could probably add 157-174 +/- 141

Wittlake is not a 184 pounder. He put on a ton of weight in the off season during his rehab and hit the weights hard. He has a big upper body frame but his legs are where he lacks the power required to move the average 184 guy around. He also lost a lot of speed/quickness bumping up and the ability to get any penetration with his shot. He even struggled against certain guys with getting off bottom. His matches were very slow and spent most of the time tied up wrestling like a heavyweight. He needs to go 174 if he's going to have any success in his last year. I don't like the idea of RS Plott, but if you can have a healthy Plott for 2 more years with the incoming freshmen we have with Thompson and Carroll in the upper weights then on paper we would have some quality guys to score some points. Either way I don't know if it will make much of a difference with Wittlake as his trajectory has seem to be on the decline since his freshman year after all the injuries etc.

I doubt anyone can beat a healthy Wittlake in the room at 184 pretty sure we didn’t get the best version of him at nationals due to health (was in the hospital that night) healthy at 174 or 184 AA threat. Comes down to what him and Plott decide , both when healthy are top 4 AA candidates at both weights. The only thing stopping both have been injuries , just my opinion.

both when healthy are top 4 AA candidates at both weights.
Plott, yes. Honestly think he could contend for a title this year against Starocci. Foca who pinned him is back though too. Unsure who all else has a 5th/6th year.

Wittlake, maybe an AA at 174 (IF healthy, which is a big IF). At 184, I wouldn't expect a ton different. Also not sure any of the AA from last year are done. So top 4, highly unlikely. Possible AA, sure but I wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: osu2082 and gyppoke
If Mesenbrink had gone to Mizzou, there was a chance Cam Steed might have hit the portal. With him going to PSU, you have to wonder if Joe Sealey is getting some calls now. He would fit great at either 157 or 165.

Reactions: DPJ
If Mesenbrink had gone to Mizzou, there was a chance Cam Steed might have hit the portal. With him going to PSU, you have to wonder if Joe Sealey is getting some calls now. He would fit great at either 157 or 165 for us.
Did Mesenbrink have to burn a year at Cal Poly or does it count as RS? If he has 3 years at PSU, Sealey slots in perfectly after a RS. If Mitch has 4 years left, you’d have to think Sealey would at least question it. He has the skill to start anywhere right away. Not a huge ask by PSU standards to redshirt, but to do that and sit a year might be a stretch.

Did Mesenbrink have to burn a year at Cal Poly or does it count as RS? If he has 3 years at PSU, Sealey slots in perfectly after a RS. If Mitch has 4 years left, you’d have to think Sealey would at least question it. He has the skill to start anywhere right away. Not a huge ask by PSU standards to redshirt, but to do that and sit a year might be a stretch.
Mesenbrink should have 4 years plus an Olympic RS available. Sealey is class of 2024 though, so even 3 years wouldn't line up. Would need a greyshirt in there as well.

Noticeable stats for Feldcamp last year.
7th place NCAA
Record: 29-6
Wins by Fall: 14!
Loss by Fall: 3
Top 20 opponents: 3-3
win= #9 #12 #15
loss= #1 #5 #11

Of note: lost in SV to Montalvo early in the year.

Noticeable stats for olejnik last year. While I had it up.
8th place NCAA
Record: 31-5
Wins by Fall: 7
Loss by bonus: 1
Top 20 opponents: 4-4
win= #10 #14 #15 #16
loss= #3 #6 (2) #8

Plott, yes. Honestly think he could contend for a title this year against Starocci. Foca who pinned him is back though too. Unsure who all else has a 5th/6th year.

Wittlake, maybe an AA at 174 (IF healthy, which is a big IF). At 184, I wouldn't expect a ton different. Also not sure any of the AA from last year are done. So top 4, highly unlikely. Possible AA, sure but I wouldn't bet on it.
Really don’t think Wittlake is gonna be using his covid year.

Madrigal, Henson, and Cruz in the portal for OU, Spratley probably eliminates the Cruz possibility, but I wouldn’t hate it.

Really don’t think Wittlake is gonna be using his covid year.
Makes you wonder if he had chosen to get the ACL surgery to fix his knee he might of healed up better and fully recovered. I never thought his knee was the issue this past season, but it sounds like from some poster it was?

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
Chance lamer in the portal starter at Michigan at 149 would be good for 157 if jordan Williams stays at 149

Reactions: DPJ
Chance lamer in the portal starter at Michigan at 149 would be good for 157 if jordan Williams stays at 149
3 years eligibility too. Would be a great snag. Wonder why he is leaving Michigan. They have a stud in Mantanona coming in, but surely he would’nt have knocked him off the start.

Reactions: Ok_Longhorn
Wonder if they're going after Voinovich?
With Mantanona coming in I wouldnt expect them to be looking for anyone there outside of maybe a grad transfer if they wanna RS him. Could be wrong.

Honestly, idk where VV is going to end up. He doesn’t have a RS available. As far as blue blood programs go, no one is in need of a 49er. I believe Iowa has the only AA that won’t return. But they have Chittum coming in there. That means VV ends up at a lower tier Big10 school or somewhere random.

Feldkamp is from MI and his dad wrestled there. They could make a play for him and put Rylan Rogers at 197. Hopefully not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT