ADVERTISEMENT

HS Recruiting News

Real Logic is what John is doing isn’t working.
I just read Flo's 20 and under preview and lots of Cowboys in it. Spratley is at 57 and picked to take 2nd. Hughes is at 61 and listed as a contender. Kael Voinovich is at 65 and is listed as someone to watch. At 70 kg there is Jordan Williams and Cutter Sheets both named as someone to watch but not expected to do well. Breyden Thompson is at 86kg and picked to finish 2nd, we can not afford to lose him. Lastly we have Carroll at HWT who is picked to take first. I hope our guys do good. I really hope that Williams shows something in this big tournament because being a big recruit and not looking very good in his redshirt year was concerning.

Reactions: osudog
I just read Flo's 20 and under preview and lots of Cowboys in it. Spratley is at 57 and picked to take 2nd. Hughes is at 61 and listed as a contender. Kael Voinovich is at 65 and is listed as someone to watch. At 70 kg there is Jordan Williams and Cutter Sheets both named as someone to watch but not expected to do well. Breyden Thompson is at 86kg and picked to finish 2nd, we can not afford to lose him. Lastly we have Carroll at HWT who is picked to take first. I hope our guys do good. I really hope that Williams shows something in this big tournament because being a big recruit and not looking very good in his redshirt year was concerning.
I really hope williams works out that kid is explosive And athletic.

Real Logic is what John is doing isn’t working.
understand that. Bitching about it on a chat board is kind of like pissing in the wind. Isn't going to help. If you feel slighted, or feel like a change is necessary, it would be much more productive , talk to the people who can make a change. I can't. And I don't believe there is anyone that frequents this board that can.

What I do know is that RECRUITS check these boards. And right now, the "fans" are making a much worse impression than the program, IMO.

Harley, how does Kael wrestling is US affect the possibility of following in VV's footstep and wrestling for the other country (can't think of which it is right now)

understand that. Bitching about it on a chat board is kind of like pissing in the wind. Isn't going to help. If you feel slighted, or feel like a change is necessary, it would be much more productive , talk to the people who can make a change. I can't. And I don't believe there is anyone that frequents this board that can.

What I do know is that RECRUITS check these boards. And right now, the "fans" are making a much worse impression than the program, IMO.
My teenagers are on their phones laughing their ass off at the idea their peers are checking these stupid Gen X boards.

This is a place for middle aged men to grumble, always has been and will be til we die off.

Reactions: JAY45 and osu2082
My teenagers are on their phones laughing their ass off at the idea their peers are checking these stupid Gen X boards.

This is a place for middle aged men to grumble, always has been and will be til we die off.
are your teenagers being recruited by schools that have rivals boards?

What you just said equates to this place actually making some noise then. If it is a squeaky wheel and causing problems, somebody better figure out to look at it.

The problem with most is, there isn't knowledge on who to talk to, so we do it here. If you just use logic, you would see that had John addressed the fanbase in some form or fashion with dialogue to support that things are being done and will be done, these conversations wouldn't be as prevalent.

As much as we'd love for JS to address this past season its not going to happen. There was nothing he could say that would make it sink less. And he knows that, I'm sure that's why the interview never happened. BUT as far as the future holds JS name alone is enough to rise the support and donations for our RTC and NIL but him alone is really the only face that can come out physically and verbally support it trying to rise funds. Perhaps he is doing this behind closed doors, who knows, but as fans of the program we need that type of affirmation to know there is a vison and movement.

Ok, but being a John apologist or sticking your head in the sand isn't going to help either.

Immediately after NCAAs ended, several OU wrestling fans emailed Leonard & Castiglione to express their disappointment. At that time, I asked someone if an email to Weiberg would make a difference. Not an explosive rant, just expressing concern about the current state of OSU wrestling and its direction. I was told it would very likely be ignored. Maybe if I was a mega booster things would be different.

I think it's probably unlikely recruits read this board, but I'm sure some parents do. Some wrestling dads on the other boards are incredibly obvious. But what gets said on here is nothing in comparison to actual results. Recruits and their families know about development/improvement, training methods, RTCs/partners, NIL, etc. And if they don't, then opposing coaches will tell them.

Amen

Ok, but being a John apologist or sticking your head in the sand isn't going to help either.

Immediately after NCAAs ended, several OU wrestling fans emailed Leonard & Castiglione to express their disappointment. At that time, I asked someone if an email to Weiberg would make a difference. Not an explosive rant, just expressing concern about the current state of OSU wrestling and its direction. I was told it would very likely be ignored. Maybe if I was a mega booster things would be different.

I think it's probably unlikely recruits read this board, but I'm sure some parents do. Some wrestling dads on the other boards are incredibly obvious. But what gets said on here is nothing in comparison to actual results. Recruits and their families know about development/improvement, training methods, RTCs/partners, NIL, etc. And if they don't, then opposing coaches will tell them.
one person writing the AD, unless you are a mega donor, probably wouldn't stir the pot any. Numerous messages from many small donors and fans might. Not being an apologist or sticking my head in the sand-i have raised my concerns. Just need more to do so in a manner where the people who can do something about it will see the concerns.

And yes, recruits do read the boards

one person writing the AD, unless you are a mega donor, probably wouldn't stir the pot any. Numerous messages from many small donors and fans might. Not being an apologist or sticking my head in the sand-i have raised my concerns. Just need more to do so in a manner where the people who can do something about it will see the concerns.

Yes, recruits and parents read these boards. It is part of why I wish we had more participation over here.

Even on this board, we are behind the better programs.

I like the idea of calling John Smith. I am not sure how well I can voice my concerns because I'll be too enamored to think quickly I am sure? But, I am going to do what you said.

Reactions: 1AA

Just my biased experience but as someone that works in administration I'd say yes, a handful of repeated emails from peons like you would help move needles. People talk.

We also have to accept the possibility that John IS doing things and just doesn't want to tell people. Right now Cowboy Wrestling is a bit of an underdog and with that comes the benefit of folks not paying as much attention to you. If there's an advantage in that, I say use it.

Also recruits still go to Iowa even though their board is toxic AF. We don't have to be nicey-nice about everything. I'm not even saying that folks shouldn't complain here. But if you DO want your complaints to get heard by anybody besides the regular visitors here, copy everything you post and send it to the Athletic Department. John's probably going to do what he's going to do, but his bosses and administrative support staff have some sway over the big picture things.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
Official Troy Spratley commit on OSU Instagram. That's someone y'all are excited about?

Man I apologize then I sure hope my being honest and not lying about our program and leadership has not ran any recruits off . Shit I didn’t realize this boards rants in 2021 -2022 is what caused our 18th place finish this year . Glad I learned this lesson before we finish 20th next. . Details noted

Sad fact many youth wrestlers now don’t care about John or OSU pre 2010 . Many would rather watch the top guys than OSU . My own two sons would rather watch PSU or Iowa duals on Tv than drive a hour to watch OSU dual in person.

• Sad
Reactions: Wrassler17
Official Troy Spratley commit on OSU Instagram. That's someone y'all are excited about?
This is a nice add for sure. Step in right direction for sure and Sammy was nice add also

Yeah, I don't understand the concern about who reads this board. People are mostly discussing issues about the program, the coaching & the administration. There's virtually no bashing of OSU wrestlers or even opposing wrestlers. Certainly far less than many other boards. To me it indicates passion and high expectations for the program.

I also agree the Troy Spratley pickup is good news and another sign that there's been a shift in philosophy. He had a clear path to start at Minny and no reported issues there. So this appears to be a classic portal transfer, something we haven't done a lot unless there was a coaching/admin change at the other school. I think the Spratley and Alvarez moves will look very smart a year from now.

NAGAO to PSU. I mean really just give them the next two titles early

Harley, how does Kael wrestling is US affect the possibility of following in VV's footstep and wrestling for the other country (can't think of which it is right now)
Victor wrestles for Serbia as a junior freestyle wrestler. I think Cael could wrestle for Serbia even if he wrestles in our junior National tournament. But Kael does not seem at the same level as Victor so far, and will not be close to making the US team or likely Serbia's team at this point or in the future unless he jumps a couple of levels.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
Yeah, I don't understand the concern about who reads this board. People are mostly discussing issues about the program, the coaching & the administration. There's virtually no bashing of OSU wrestlers or even opposing wrestlers. Certainly far less than many other boards. To me it indicates passion and high expectations for the program.
if you were a recruit, and a large portion of posts over the course of a month were in regards to getting rid of the coach, would that give you pause? See the OU situation now, and Willies post about wrestlers entering portal due to coach uncertainty. Not quite the same situation, but very similar. Just my opinion, may be right or wrong.

if you were a recruit, and a large portion of posts over the course of a month were in regards to getting rid of the coach, would that give you pause? See the OU situation now, and Willies post about wrestlers entering portal due to coach uncertainty. Not quite the same situation, but very similar. Just my opinion, may be right or wrong.
I doubt it creates any coach uncertainty? It might I guess?

What it does do is make the questions our staff has to answer about plans to create more NCs, AAs and team titles a little more frequent and tougher?

Which, really, they probably already see the situation anyway.

Reactions: bwel9339
There's no way the coaches and staff don't see the issues and aren't working on it. They may not tell us, and their approach may not work out, but it's pretty foolish IMO to imagine that they're just sitting around thinking everything is perfect.

I'm on the fence about calling for coaches to be fired. If you are looking for a job and go to Glassdoor and see a bunch of people railing against the management, it paints a certain picture and maybe you don't want to work there. On the other hand, coaches in every sport get a lot of flack and you have to think that most athletes understand that. And when a team has all-time low finishes, wouldn't you want a fanbase to show passion and be upset about it? Really dunno about it. I think you can voice displeasure respectfully but at some point you're just beating a dead horse if you keep doing it. Then again, that dead horse beating may be effective when directed appropriately, and then the question is what is appropriate - this forum? Administration? Newspapers? Hard to say.

As a fan I'd love to hear a concrete plan. "Well we're working the portal, changing up our workout routines, getting kids into the NIL collective, hiring a firm to help us pour through tape and run analytics", blahblahblah. But I also recognize that the lack of a public plan doesn't mean the lack of a plan, and the addition of two transfers in the last week shows me that there IS some movement whether or not we fans know all the details.

Last edited:
If I were a recruit my main concern would probably be about a team that had 2 AAs and scored 28.5 points at Nationals. And finished out of the top 10 3x in the last 5 seasons. Some disgruntled fans would be low on the list for me.

Also, while there has obviously been some who've called for a coaching change, I think most of the discussions have been about wanting to hear from John. Blowing off the presser was ridiculous IMO. Telling us his vision for the program doesn't seem like a big ask to me. Especially if he's looking for support.

If I were a recruit my main concern would probably be about a team that had 2 AAs and scored 28.5 points at Nationals. And finished out of the top 10 3x in the last 5 seasons. Some disgruntled fans would be low on the list for me.

Also, while there has obviously been some who've called for a coaching change, I think most of the discussions have been about wanting to hear from John. Blowing off the presser was ridiculous IMO. Telling us his vision for the program doesn't seem like a big ask to me. Especially if he's looking for support.
I don't believe we as fans are much of the problem but poor performances by our wrestling program is the problem, with the last 2 years being terrible. If this continues, we may end up like Oklahoma. Hardly any fan base with hardly any expectations for Cowboy wrestling. Also, if the coaches and administration never look at this forum that is poor leadership.

Ouch.Big NIL offered elsewhere?
He has big potential, but I felt like he lost a lot of close matches. He should have won this year.

Reactions: bwel9339
Ouch.Big NIL offered elsewhere?
He has big potential, but I felt like he lost a lot of close matches. He should have won this year.

Wants to go be developed and compete for championships if I were to guess.

There are some other reasons but some of the above is in the ballpark.

Wrong, kids read everything today
Wants to go be developed and compete for championships if I were to guess.

There are some other reasons but some of the above is in the ballpark.
jordan williams #1 reason

Wrong, kids read everything today

jordan williams #1 reason
Which makes it even more puzzling why our head wrestling coach isn’t front the center articulating his vision for the program and plan to fix the current situation. The problem isn’t criticisms on a message board. The problem is a coach failing to state his plan for getting us back to an elite level….given the fact he knows kids are reading the boards

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT