ADVERTISEMENT

How liberal policies have killed black communities: Clarence Thomas

2012Bearcat

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
Oct 30, 2010

My grandfather would always talk about: How do you help people without turning them into wards of the state, turning them into people who don’t help themselves? He would have this line, “You help people help themselves.” And there was a difference between helping or helping to help themselves. Now we could do it individually because we did it all the time. It was not only our Christian obligation; it was the way we lived. That’s the way our community lived. You have fish and somebody else has beans, they bring you beans, you give them fish, or vice versa. But what happens with people who can’t help themselves? And my grandfather’s line was, “There are people who won’t help themselves and the people who can’t help themselves.” And he wanted to help people who couldn’t help themselves versus those who wouldn’t. And how do you make that distinction? Well, you live there. It’s a part of your community; it’s family, it’s your neighbor. You know that this person refuses to work, versus that person who’s disabled or that person had just had another kid and can’t go to work right now. But you don’t know that from a distance.

Couldn't possibly agree with this anymore.

A reminder: I used to sit on a porch swing in south Lawton with the original Whitney Houston. We often greeted her father at 5:30 when he came home from work. Fathers all up and down the block came home from work. Then LBJ's War on Poverty came.....

• Sad
Reactions: iasooner2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT