ADVERTISEMENT

GotG thread

The last few years we had exceeded expectation

I agree and thought Rogers would match up well, but boy was I wrong. I was thinking they would match up well with upper body stuff, but it didn't even go there. Brooks took him down and killed him on the mat. Rogers has had issues underneath before.
The event was great and I was proud to be there and kudos to Tom Branch or whoever thought of doing this. Obviously from my point of view I wish we had won but as everyone said it is early in the season. I would also like to give high praise to the Hawkeye fans who provided 42,000 of the 42,300 spectators. The hawkeye fans were gracious both before and after the event and besides a little bit of friendly ribbing, which is to be expected, they were great hosts. The weather was perfect and it was a great start to the wrestling season. We will improve from that start and I still believe that this is a year we can win it all. I have been opposed to bringing anyone out of redshirt but I think we do need to bring Joe out at 157. I am not going to rag on Marsteller and whatever are his demons but I think Joe is the better choice with a lot more upside. I also believe as do many that Nolan Boyd needs to be back in the lineup at 184. It must be a matchup problem but there is no way that Boyd would be tech falled with no response. I would like to praise Jordan Rogers for his devotion to the Lord and his overall demeanor but it is beginning to be apparent that for whatever reason he is not the man at 184.
The event was great for wrestling and this is the kind of thinking that will allow wrestling to grow in the future.

And OK St didn't?Too funny!!
I think the point trying to be made is OSU often trains through these things early in the year and in recent years drop duals due to that. Ncaas are the end goal and in the current environment duals while entertaining really don't mean a thing. That being said I wish we had won.

The event was great and I was proud to be there and kudos to Tom Branch or whoever thought of doing this. Obviously from my point of view I wish we had won but as everyone said it is early in the season. I would also like to give high praise to the Hawkeye fans who provided 42,000 of the 42,300 spectators. The hawkeye fans were gracious both before and after the event and besides a little bit of friendly ribbing, which is to be expected, they were great hosts. The weather was perfect and it was a great start to the wrestling season. We will improve from that start and I still believe that this is a year we can win it all. I have been opposed to bringing anyone out of redshirt but I think we do need to bring Joe out at 157. I am not going to rag on Marsteller and whatever are his demons but I think Joe is the better choice with a lot more upside. I also believe as do many that Nolan Boyd needs to be back in the lineup at 184. It must be a matchup problem but there is no way that Boyd would be tech falled with no response. I would like to praise Jordan Rogers for his devotion to the Lord and his overall demeanor but it is beginning to be apparent that for whatever reason he is not the man at 184.
The event was great for wrestling and this is the kind of thinking that will allow wrestling to grow in the future.
Jordan needs to spend about an hour a day starting on bottom with AD. Seems like I remember him having trouble before from the bottom position.

I don't think our team looked that out of shape. It was just glaring in a couple of spots.

I don't follow the team much until the duals starts. Has Jordan being look good or something? I'll be honest that is about as disappointed as I ever remember being with an OSU wrestler. Kid looked like he wanted no part of that.

Also, Iowa is going to hard to beat (especially at home) with these new rules.

Boyd hasn't jumped any levels, but he may have been the answer to a win there. No reason for JR to catch a tech and I am not sure what happened? I was looking for some crazy neutral from him...obviously I am still looking.

The simple truth here; their studs scored points and ours didn't. As echoed previously, color me "not worried" about our March preparation.

Nice guy comments

Klimara.......keep going, you'll get there
Harding.......nice effort
Heil.......Good
Collica.......it's early, nice effort
Marsteller.......need some work, a win is a win
Dieringer........domination
Crutchmer.......CLUTCH
Rogers.......I know your better than that
Boyd.......GREAT effort, you were there man
Marsden.........Good job

DB comments

Klimara......thought you would have kept it closer
Harding.......where's Brock
Heil.......you should have tech'd that guy, c'mon
Collica.......didn't show up today,
Marsteller........still there on the ground
Dieringer.......again, should have tech'd him
Crutchmer........I don't like how you wait till the end to win, makes me nervous
Rogers......didn't want to wrestle
Boyd.......you know, I have no douche bag comment for this one, wait, you coulda gone harder
Marsden.....he's a freshman, and he's not ranked, it shouldn't take John yelling at you to pick it up

OK, all joking aside, before anyone attacks me, I don't really feel that way. Well, not totally. I know it's early in the season, I know "its all practice till NCAA's", but to me, duals mean something. I'm not saying they don't to others, but I really thought we had that one in the bag. Some good performances, some not so good. Kudos to Boyd, what a fight, does anyone know what he weighed in at? It seems to me that Collica was giving his legs up too easily. I agree with many, I wouldn't burn any redshirts until after scuffle, see how they do, but I imagine if Marsteller doesn't pick it up, Smith is in.

That has to be frustrating for Chance to just eek out a win when he knows he could have pinned him with a full tank. He ll figure it out. He is a gamer. Im glad he s out there competing and figuring out what it takes to win at this level. Hes going to put up team points in March.

Now Rogers is another story. Lets face it. He was up against bigger and stronger. He got thrown around the mat like a rag doll. Jordan will win some nice matches this year , pin some guys and look great against most but against top 10 guys he will struggle mightily.

Silver lining with Chance? It can't get worse conditioning-wise right?

Someone in the room will help him with cutting. They have such a great chance, no pun intended, to win it all this year, John won't let this be an issue. Like Air_Thurman said, it's all improvement from here.

J Rogers had only 3 wins against ranked opponents before this year. Boyd had 7. Pick your poison, Boyd beat Brooks last year. I understand John saying that he thought Boyd was the only one he thought could beat Burak, but, I would have kept Boyd at 84, and tried Schafer or Bean at 97, at least Bean has wrestled Burak, he lost, but hey, keep it to a decision. Boyd has proven that he can hang with Brooks. We knew we were iffy on those weights anyways, so why not let him try. I know, Rogers has been beating Boyd, but they have been wrestling each other for 3 years in the room, Rogers has had plenty of time to figure it out. I say put Boyd back in at 84 and see how Rogers does in open tournaments and readjust after scuffle. Hindsight in 20/20, but Kudos for Boyd doing as well as he did against a #4 ranked Burak, 13 pounds lighter.

Dug this up from last year.

125: No. 5 Thomas Gilman (IOWA) MD No. 11 Eddie Klimara (OSU), 15-5
133: No. 5 Cory Clark (IOWA) dec. Gary Wayne Harding (OSU), 10-5
141: No. 8 Josh Dziewa (IOWA) fall No. 20 Dean Heil (OSU), 6:30
149: No. 5 Brandon Sorenson (IOWA) dec. No. 2 Josh Kindig (OSU), 6-1
157: No. 16 Mike Kelly (IOWA) dec. No. 18 Anthony Collica (OSU), 9-6
165: No. 1 Alex Dieringer (OSU) MD Patrick Rhoads (IOWA), 20-8
174: No. 2 Mike Evans (IOWA) TF5 Jordan Rogers (OSU), 16-1
184: No. 15 Nolan Boyd (OSU) dec. No. 7 Sammy Brooks (IOWA), 9-6
197: No. 6 Nathan Burak (IOWA) dec. Luke Bean (OSU), 7-3
285: No. 1 Bobby Telford (IOWA) dec. No. 4 Austin Marsden (OSU), 4-3

Someone in the room will help him with cutting. They have such a great chance, no pun intended, to win it all this year, John won't let this be an issue. Like Air_Thurman said, it's all improvement from here.
Not as optimistic as you about Chance and cutting to 157. This is his second year and he has not shown that he can do it. You are right that "John will not let this be an issue" as he has the option to pull Joe out of redshirt.

I just watched Crutchmer's duck to headlock, in slow mo.......that was awesome, I really think he comes around this year. He's got so much potential if he'll continue to open up offense.

I just watched Crutchmer's duck to headlock, in slow mo.......that was awesome, I really think he comes around this year. He's got so much potential if he'll continue to open up offense.
That really was an impressive move. I don't know if he set it up, or it Meyer just "fell" into it...either was it was a thing of beauty.

J Rogers had only 3 wins against ranked opponents before this year. Boyd had 7. Pick your poison, Boyd beat Brooks last year. I understand John saying that he thought Boyd was the only one he thought could beat Burak, but, I would have kept Boyd at 84, and tried Schafer or Bean at 97, at least Bean has wrestled Burak, he lost, but hey, keep it to a decision. Boyd has proven that he can hang with Brooks. We knew we were iffy on those weights anyways, so why not let him try. I know, Rogers has been beating Boyd, but they have been wrestling each other for 3 years in the room, Rogers has had plenty of time to figure it out. I say put Boyd back in at 84 and see how Rogers does in open tournaments and readjust after scuffle. Hindsight in 20/20, but Kudos for Boyd doing as well as he did against a #4 ranked Burak, 13 pounds lighter.
I really think Lindenwood and the Southern Scuffle will tell us a lot. Rogers was recruited as a beast and he is putting a whipping on Boyd when they go head to head, but it is about who will beat the other teams wrestler.

I really think Lindenwood and the Southern Scuffle will tell us a lot. Rogers was recruited as a beast and he is putting a whipping on Boyd when they go head to head, but it is about who will beat the other teams wrestler.

Some guys can just do that in the room but once the bright lights are on...Boyd worries me more. He's a scrapper

Some guys can just do that in the room but once the bright lights are on...Boyd worries me more. He's a scrapper
I think Boyd should stay at 197, he looked really good at Iowa against the #3 guy. Put on 13 pounds by March and watch out! Rogers and Luke Bean fight it out at 184. 184 is loaded and Nolan could do more damage at 197. Am I crazy?

I think Boyd should stay at 197, he looked really good at Iowa against the #3 guy. Put on 13 pounds by March and watch out! Rogers and Luke Bean fight it out at 184. 184 is loaded and Nolan could do more damage at 197. Am I crazy?
I agree with you if Boyd is an upgrade over Schafer. 184 is so loaded that I'm not sure either score much at nationals.

Speaking of lineups, they were discussing OSU on FRL. They brought up the idea of going smith/cm/ad/Crutchmer 57-84, what are y'all's thoughts? Coukd Crutchmer score points in March at 84? That weight is loaded and that is where we need to make some improvement.

I think it would boil down to what you feel Chance at 165 and Crutch at 184 could realistically get you in March.

With Crutch at 174 a national title is in play so you hate to walk away from that potential.

Holy crap, I just looked, really looked at 184, there is a lot of talent there.

Agreed, Boyd just doesn't stop. If he could put that kind of muscle on before NCAA's, you might have something.

Am I crazy?

Yes, but we might need some crazy right now! :)

I said in an earlier post that Boyd did surprisingly well against Burak. It surely is intriguing to think about. See how rogers does at 184 this weekend, he might come back with a vengeance.
I don't think Crutchmer would do very well at 184, at least this year, IMHO.

Speaking of lineups, they were discussing OSU on FRL. They brought up the idea of going smith/cm/ad/Crutchmer 57-84, what are y'all's thoughts? Coukd Crutchmer score points in March at 84? That weight is loaded and that is where we need to make some improvement.[/QUO
Speaking of lineups, they were discussing OSU on FRL. They brought up the idea of going smith/cm/ad/Crutchmer 57-84, what are y'all's thoughts? Coukd Crutchmer score points in March at 84? That weight is loaded and that is where we need to make some improvement.
Crutchmer would score more points in March, but 165
Holy crap, I just looked, really looked at 184, there is a lot of talent there.

Agreed, Boyd just doesn't stop. If he could put that kind of muscle on before NCAA's, you might have something.

Yes, but we might need some crazy right now! :)

I said in an earlier post that Boyd did surprisingly well against Burak. It surely is intriguing to think about. See how rogers does at 184 this weekend, he might come back with a vengeance.
I don't think Crutchmer would do very well at 184, at least this year, IMHO.
Poel, I typed first that I know I am crazy, but on this matter am I. I know a few of my OSU friends and Iowa/PSU friends (I use the word "friends" very loosely) would probably say "yes". After all if I hang around with them I must be!

Mike, on keeping Boyd at 197, crazy, not at much as you'd think in my opinion. What I like about it is that fact that he has such a big gas tank, at that size, I think being able to push the pace like he does is phenomenal. Just imagine if he could do that 13 pounds heavier. He would be stronger, and could out last a lot of people. Also he looks like a tall guy, so putting on the weight one would think it wouldn't be too hard. With the stalling calls that are supposed to be upped this year, he could get people into trouble quick. Either way you look at it, Boyd at either weight is points in March, maybe more at 97, but then look at the backups. can Rogers or Bean make a difference at 84, or can Schafer or Weigel make a go at 97?

Mike, on keeping Boyd at 197, crazy, not at much as you'd think in my opinion. What I like about it is that fact that he has such a big gas tank, at that size, I think being able to push the pace like he does is phenomenal. Just imagine if he could do that 13 pounds heavier. He would be stronger, and could out last a lot of people. Also he looks like a tall guy, so putting on the weight one would think it wouldn't be too hard. With the stalling calls that are supposed to be upped this year, he could get people into trouble quick. Either way you look at it, Boyd at either weight is points in March, maybe more at 97, but then look at the backups. can Rogers or Bean make a difference at 84, or can Schafer or Weigel make a go at 97?
I disagree with Togneto about keeping Boyd at 197. Perhaps if he had started this summer and put on weight and muscle at this weight I would agree. I believe Nolan is the better choice at 184. Jordan Rogers has been in the program over a year and while he has beaten Nolan in the last two ranking matches he has shown that for whatever reason he can not translate this to a meaningful match when wearing the Orange. He is a great guy by all accounts but Boyd will beat people he can not. I also believe that Crutchmer should stay at 174. He is nota big 174 pounder and would be outsized at 184 which is a deeper weight than 174.
As far as "Friends" of Tognetti I count myself as such and friends do not always agree. He could be right about this but I doubt it. As far as his Iowa and Penn State "Friends" go, those of you who have followed his journey on their boards (I have not) realize he has NO friends on either of those rival boards.

Jordan Rogers might be a little small for 184, but that is a tough weight but he is very explosive. I think those were difficult circumstances in Iowa City and Brooks worked over his mind and body. With it being open wresting season let's see what he can do at Lindenwood and the Scuffle. If Boyd has a chance to score points at Nationals he needs to go at that weight whatever it is as I do not think our other 197 pounders are ready to score points at Madison Square Garden this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT