ADVERTISEMENT

GOT Finale

This was just so unsatisfying on so many levels. The montage of the travels at the end was just pointless. The council to choose a ruler was dumb. The fact no one objected to bran was dumb. The fact they’d listen to Tyrian was dumb. The fact they let the north stay free was dumb. Won’t Bran’s 3 eyed raven duties get impinged by his king duties? Good grief so so unsatisfying.

Glad it’s over. If this is the direction the books take, I’ll stop right here.

Reactions: Been Jammin
This was just so unsatisfying on so many levels. The montage of the travels at the end was just pointless. The council to choose a ruler was dumb. The fact no one objected to bran was dumb. The fact they’d listen to Tyrian was dumb. The fact they let the north stay free was dumb. Won’t Bran’s 3 eyed raven duties get impinged by his king duties? Good grief so so unsatisfying.

Glad it’s over. If this is the direction the books take, I’ll stop right here.
Yep that’s the best word I can think of. Unsatisfying. Make this huge deal about John Snow being the true heir to the throne and it only used to irritate Dany? Tyrion making it sound like only John can unseat her. Yet anyone could have just stabbed her. And grey worm gets the say in what happens to John then sails away the next day? They should have saved the night king stuff for last.

Has any epic TV series ever had a finale that was any good?
I know it’s hated on a lot, but I loved LOST finale. Still bawl my eyes out to Jack talking to his dad. What drives me crazy is when people hate it bc they think they were dead the whole time. THEY WERE ALIVE ON THE ISLAND!!!
That said, I enjoyed this finale. It ended the way it should even though it took a terrible route to get there. Once again, they rushed everything from Danys death (which was incredibly powerful) to the ending. Should have been two episodes.

He got to reunited with ghost and his buddy Tormund. I'm sure he'll find himself another hot wilding. Could have been worst. Couldn't let him do the deed and then become King.
I like his ending, but it should have been his choice. He should have announced to the lords and ladies his true parentage, but he is renouncing his titles and going north where he belongs. It’s ridiculous that the Unsullied have a say but if they do, what would they be ok w him going North?? Like, couldn’t Bran just wait for them to sail away and then just pardon Jon haha

I did have a few qestions:

How come the North gets to be independent but no one else wanted to? Seems like it should have been seven independent Kingdoms or nothing.

Did they rebuild King's Landing in a month or were parts 100% destroyed and other parts completely untouched? That seemed to apply to half the red kept.

I guess the whole dragon melts the iron throne but Jon is fine thing was because he's a Trag?

So when does the Arya explores the west beyond Westros sequel begin?

Ever had to take a really huge $hit... like all day you felt it peeking and you had stuff to do and then you make time and get all warmed up and finally go sit on the throne and for all your grumting you just get some smelly gas and a little mini turdlette, and you are just... welll SOAB.

And then to top it off its the messiest wipe you ever had and you have to go back every 30 mins or so to make sure you clean cause it keeps itching your butt.

Yeah, that's the way it was.

And the true heir killing a fake queen. Since when is that bad. Isn’t that how almost all of them become king anyway.

Are you kidding me. I am boycotting their Star Wars bullshit also. I don’t know how many time I yelled gay at the tv tonight. It was like I was watching Gundy coach in a bedlam game. So Jon saves the realm from destruction and they repay him by banning him. Lame as fook. Then Bron just shows up at the end and gets everything. These guys are a joke. Ten focking years ten focking years.

Reactions: MegaPoke
I fell like Durant just picked the warriors all over again.

I am not reading the books if this is the ending. These guys cost GRRM a ton of money

Whatever happens in the books, if we ever get them, will be earned. I have no doubt that a lot of this stuff will end this way in the books but there will be a lot of leg work to get us there.

My biggest complaint is that Jon’s true background ended up being utterly pointless. Is the TV show any different if Jon was just Ned’s bastard?

Has any epic TV series ever had a finale that was any good?

Breaking Bad and Sopranos both off the top of my head.

Some hated the Sopranos ending (last 2 seconds of dozens of hours) but it was epic water cooler talk every Monday morning for almost a decade from the opening of the bottle to the last drop.

Whatever happens in the books, if we ever get them, will be earned. I have no doubt that a lot of this stuff will end this way in the books but there will be a lot of leg work to get us there.

My biggest complaint is that Jon’s true background ended up being utterly pointless. Is the TV show any different if Jon was just Ned’s bastard?

It played a major role in driving Dani over the edge and creating the conflict for him. If he's just Ned's bastard him and Dani live happily together ever after. Its also the entire reason for Robert's rebellion.

He got to reunited with ghost and his buddy Tormund. I'm sure he'll find himself another hot wilding. Could have been worst. Couldn't let him do the deed and then become King.

I thought the Jon Snow ending was the only salvagable thing of this season. No matter his daddy that boy was all Stark and had The North in him like Tormund said. Jon wanted simpler times and people, he wasn't exactly Mensa material either. He liked the cold and Night's Watch. He never wanted the crown or political bullshit. He didn't get done dirty, he's the most at peace.

Plus, once you go Wildling you never go back. He's gonna be all up in some hot spring hidden cave sex with some Wildling broads in no time.

Last edited:
Agree with almost all of the criticism in this thread. Here are a few trivial things that really bothered me as I was watching.

-Opening scene. Jon and Grey Worm have beef. Davos steps in and tells Jon "you need to talk to the queen". Jon and Davos leave to go talk to the queen. GW stays behind to slit some throats. Next scene. Jon is walking up the steps to talk to the queen and there's GW standing next to her. What de fuk? Are there two of him? Can he teleport like Nightcrawler? Did Jon stop in a pub for drink before heading over to have this extremely important chat with the queen? Just awful, unforgivably poor writing.

-Tyrion goes to the Red Keep by himself. Is he a bloodhound or something? Not only does he know to look for his siblings in the basement, but he ends up going right to the place where they are buried in rubble, and conveniently, they are buried shallow enough that he can easily uncover them and have a good cry. I don't know, maybe he could have stumbled across a partially crushed, surviving Lanister soldier who said, "I saw them go that way". Something, anything to help him know where to go other than his mysterious spider sense.

-Jon, after already having one conversation with Dani, approaches her again by the Iron Throne. Why is she there with no guards? I mean, she has clearly just murdered 10s of thousands of people. She might have some enemies. She doesn't have Drogon with her. Why would she go anywhere without a couple of Unsullied tailing her? Have Jon stab her, then take on a couple of guards. Would have made for a much more compelling scene and a nice bit of action in the finale.

-Grey Worm takes the Unsullied to Naath. But, what about the surviving Dothraki? Do they get a castle? Are they going back to Essos? Are they going to roam around Westeros raping and pillaging? HBO showed a bunch of them in the episode, so it isn't like there are only a handful of them left (which there should be after their stupid charge into the army of the dead). Either finish the season letting the viewer know that there are hardly any of them left, or give us some closure as to what happens to their fairly large group.

-I'm OK with Jon ending up at the Wall. I agree that it should be his choice, rather than exile (and it is stupid that GW gets a say in Jon's fate). But, when Jon says, "Is there even a Night's Watch left?" The next line should have been "Only a tiny percentage of the land north of the wall has ever been seen by man. There might be a whole city of White Walkers that we don't know about". Give the viewer a reason for rebuilding the Wall and remanning it with a combination of Wildlings, Rapists, Thieves....and Jon to lead them. I mean, they basically took the main character, and ended with him going somewhere to waste his time until he eventually dies.

And now some positives:

-Loved the scene with Brienne finishing Jaime's story in the White Book

-Liked seeing Podrick as a member of the King's guard

-Loved the scene where it looks like Dani has dragon wings, then Drogon takes flight behind her.

-Enjoyed seeing Edmure make a fool of himself and Sansa telling him to sit down.

-Thought the final Drogon scene was cool. Him trying to wake Dani, getting pissed, melting the throne, letting Jon live, picking her up and flying away.

-Didn't hate the scene with the small council and most of the dialogue written for that scene.

It played a major role in driving Dani over the edge and creating the conflict for him. If he's just Ned's bastard him and Dani live happily together ever after. Its also the entire reason for Robert's rebellion.
I agree that was the point but really missed the mark on the series. Made a huge deal when they found out. I think most of this stems from rushing all these characters endings.

Whole season has been a giant meh for me. Waited two years for a giant disappointment. Bran as king is awful and gave us so little about the three-eyed raven bs. JS got shat on again and again. So many stories with loose ends. So many stories with awful "tied up ends". Set myself up for disappointment and was not disappointed in that...

Agree with almost all of the criticism in this thread. Here are a few trivial things that really bothered me as I was watching.

-Opening scene. Jon and Grey Worm have beef. Davos steps in and tells Jon "you need to talk to the queen". Jon and Davos leave to go talk to the queen. GW stays behind to slit some throats. Next scene. Jon is walking up the steps to talk to the queen and there's GW standing next to her. What de fuk? Are there two of him? Can he teleport like Nightcrawler? Did Jon stop in a pub for drink before heading over to have this extremely important chat with the queen? Just awful, unforgivably poor writing.

I gave up on being bothered by Game of Thrones teleportation and watching people become able to travel hundreds or thousands of miles on foot/horseback/ship in a matter of a day a long time ago. I wouldn't have made it through the show.

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
I gave up on being bothered by Game of Thrones teleportation and watching people become able to travel hundreds or thousands of miles on foot/horseback/ship in a matter of a day a long time ago. I wouldn't have made it through the show.

Yeah, but this wasn't the same thing. Jon leaves GW. Everything suggests that he is going straight to Dani. He gets to Dani and there's GW. At least in the other cases you could say, "OK, I guess a few days have passed" to explain the seeming teleportation. This was just a case of really bad writing. Give us something to distract Jon before he gets to Dani. Use someone other than GW in the opening scene. Don't have GW next to Dani when Jon gets to her. Easy fix.

Reactions: SSS!!!
Alright, I’ve slept on it (kind of, was on call last night). Everything pre Danys death I actually really enjoyed. Pacing was good, imagery was great, the final scene was very powerful actually. Everything after that, was complete dogsh!t and embarrassing honestly. I could go scene by scene, almost line by line why it was bad but that would take too long.

-Tyrion goes to the Red Keep by himself. Is he a bloodhound or something? Not only does he know to look for his siblings in the basement, but he ends up going right to the place where they are buried in rubble, and conveniently, they are buried shallow enough that he can easily uncover them and have a good cry. I don't know, maybe he could have stumbled across a partially crushed, surviving Lanister soldier who said, "I saw them go that way". Something, anything to help him know where to go other than his mysterious spider sense.

-Jon, after already having one conversation with Dani, approaches her again by the Iron Throne. Why is she there with no guards? I mean, she has clearly just murdered 10s of thousands of people. She might have some enemies. She doesn't have Drogon with her. Why would she go anywhere without a couple of Unsullied tailing her? Have Jon stab her, then take on a couple of guards. Would have made for a much more compelling scene and a nice bit of action in the finale.

-Grey Worm takes the Unsullied to Naath. But, what about the surviving Dothraki? Do they get a castle? Are they going back to Essos? Are they going to roam around Westeros raping and pillaging? HBO showed a bunch of them in the episode, so it isn't like there are only a handful of them left (which there should be after their stupid charge into the army of the dead). Either finish the season letting the viewer know that there are hardly any of them left, or give us some closure as to what happens to their fairly large group.

-I'm OK with Jon ending up at the Wall. I agree that it should be his choice, rather than exile (and it is stupid that GW gets a say in Jon's fate). But, when Jon says, "Is there even a Night's Watch left?" The next line should have been "Only a tiny percentage of the land north of the wall has ever been seen by man. There might be a whole city of White Walkers that we don't know about". Give the viewer a reason for rebuilding the Wall and remanning it with a combination of Wildlings, Rapists, Thieves....and Jon to lead them. I mean, they basically took the main character, and ended with him going somewhere to waste his time until he eventually dies.

1. Agree even by this season standards that was a huge editing issue. I feel like there was probably something between those two scenes in the original script that got cut.

2. Remember Tyrion had set up the escape by the same path he got away for Jamie. He had Davos leave the boat there. He was simply follow the escape route they would have taken so him looking there made sense. The rest was just this season lets move this along writing.

3. The Dragon was guarding the entrance. I took that whole thing to be a Jon is a Trag moment so the Dragon trust him and won't harm him..

4. Dani's army seemed to grow instead of shrink. More sloppy writing. I guess the Dothraki go back to Erros but the bigger plot hole to me is no reaction to Dani's death. They should have gone nuts, slaughtered Jon and probably burned the whole city.

5. Everyone seems to be questioning Grey Worm's role. I think that's because the scene was so badly set up. Grey Worm had a say because he was holding Jon and the city. They either had to make peace with the Unsullied or fight a civil war for control of the city. Grey Worm had a lot of leverage. To me the first plot hole was Grey Worm even taking Jon prisoner and holding him for weeks or months. Realistically Grey Worm would have executed Jon on the spot once they figured out what happen and captured him.

Last edited:
1. Agree even by this season standards that was a huge editing issue. I feel like there was probably something between those two scenes in the original script that got cut.

2. Remember Tyrion had set up the escape by the same path he got away for Jamie. He had Davos leave the boat there. He was simply follow the escape route they would have taken so him looking there made sense. The rest was just this season lets move this along writing.

3. The Dragon was guarding the entrance. I took that whole thing to be a Jon is a Trag moment so the Dragon trust him and won't harm him..

4. Dani army seemed to grow instead of shrink. More sloppy writing. I guess the Dothraki go back to Erros but the bigger plot whole to me is no reaction to Dani's death. They should have gone nuts, slaughtered Jon and probably burned the whole city.

5. Everyone seems to be questioning Grey Worm's role. I think that because the scene was so badly set up. Grey Worm had a say because he was holding Jon and the city. They either had to make peace with the Unsullied or fight a civil war for control of the city. Grey Worm had a lot of leverage. To me the first plot hole was Grey Worm even taking Jon prisoner and holding him for weeks or months. Realistically Grey Worm would have executed Jon on the spot once they figured out what happen and captured him.
I was thinking they would put Jon on trial and he would say he wanted trial by combat and fight grey worm. Jon would win and go live in the north. Of course I have been wrong most of the time anyway.

I get that. But, Tyrion has no way of knowing if they even tried to escape. Cersei's body could be literally anywhere. My point is that it was just too easy for Tyrion to find a needle in a haystack.

It has been very well established that there are secret passageways/entrances all throughout the Red Keep. Dani has a lot of enemies. Arya is a ninja. Dani would not go anywhere without guards close to her.

On your 4. and 5... You made very good points on both.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT