ADVERTISEMENT

Google Fiber coming to OKC

Anyone have this? Heard nothing but good things.

The press release says "exploring" and "potential" but from everything I've heard it is definitely coming to OKC.

No guarantees Fiber is coming. But it means Google is serious about evaluating the OKC market. A lot of it depends on how much the city is willing to work with Google to minimize red tape and move things forward in a timely manner.

If it gets the green light it may also mean the surrounding suburbs would have a good shot at getting it. It certainly would be a feather in OKCs cap.

As we are seeing in PDX - Google will require significant modernization to regulations covering things like franchise taxes, access to shared infrastructure (poles for instance) to actually pull the trigger. Good things IMO, as most of the regulation was written when we had one telephone company and typically one cable tv provider in a given market...

Not Google. But a rural electric company in Northeast OK (NEO) has got into Fiber and is stringing it on all of their distribution poles and straight into customers houses. Its a full fiber connection to your house not a fiber to copper connection. Can get up to one Gig. I live way out in country and will go from terrible internet to speeds up to 1 Gig.

That is good news for OKC. Hope they AND Tulsa get it! A DC is right around the corner in Pryor, so that has to help, no?

I have Metronet here and absolutely LOVE the fiber speed, consistency, and reliability. Have had zero complaints and the pricing is pretty good. I "only" have 200 down 25 up right now, but that is plenty enough for 2 servers, a workstation, a laptop, a gaming pc and 6 wireless devices :)

No guarantees Fiber is coming. But it means Google is serious about evaluating the OKC market. A lot of it depends on how much the city is willing to work with Google to minimize red tape and move things forward in a timely manner.

If it gets the green light it may also mean the surrounding suburbs would have a good shot at getting it. It certainly would be a feather in OKCs cap.

Obviously you would know more than most. On OKC's end there won't be much red tape. The city is very much committed to getting this done. I think I read no city has been put on the exploration list and hasn't gotten it yet.

If this happens it is a huge deal for OKC when you look at the other cities this has gone too.

Last edited:
Obviously you would know more than most. On OKC's end there won't be much red tape. The city is very much committed to get this done. I think I read no city has been put on the exploration list and hasn't gotten it yet.

If this happens it is a huge deal for OKC when you look at the other cities this has gone too.
Even if it doesn't happen, you would hope that the other providers in the market pull their heads out and update infrastructure, service, and provide better speed/options.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
The DC in Pryor has been finished for awhile. They have been adding onto it lately. They added a 4 or 5 story building recently. I kniw there was a rumor about them moving a large number of employees in. I assume for something besides the Data Center. They were supposedly looking for a large piece of land to make a small community by the DC.

Don't get too excited, yet. It's been absolutely, positively, definitely coming to Austin for a few years. Only a few neighborhoods have it. It's a lot harder to install than it would appear.

Existing infrastructure is largely unmapped so they destroy quite a bit of water, gas, sewer and electrical lines along the way which have to be repaired as they go. People are pissed about the private property that has to be torn up and if a water main is hit, for example, the whole neighborhood comes unglued and decides they don't want the fiber after all, but they can't stop it.

Sooooo, it'll be great someday, but it's liable to be a painful process.

Don't get too excited, yet. It's been absolutely, positively, definitely coming to Austin for a few years. Only a few neighborhoods have it. It's a lot harder to install than it would appear.

Existing infrastructure is largely unmapped so they destroy quite a bit of water, gas, sewer and electrical lines along the way which have to be repaired as they go. People are pissed about the private property that has to be torn up and if a water main is hit, for example, the whole neighborhood comes unglued and decides they don't want the fiber after all, but they can't stop it.

Sooooo, it'll be great someday, but it's liable to be a painful process.

There are also other companies working as best they can to impair and slow the permitting and construction process, including legal scrutiny to ensure things don't move too quickly.....while they push their own plans to lock down customers ahead of Google's deployments.

The DC in Pryor has been finished for awhile. They have been adding onto it lately. They added a 4 or 5 story building recently. I kniw there was a rumor about them moving a large number of employees in. I assume for something besides the Data Center. They were supposedly looking for a large piece of land to make a small community by the DC.

The DC complex will continue to scale as needed, independent of Google Fiber markets.

Gig is coming to OKC regardless if Google ever comes. And I will be willing to bet a large sum that Google will not be the first to offer gig in OKC.

Gig is coming to OKC regardless if Google ever comes. And I will be willing to bet a large sum that Google will not be the first to offer gig in OKC.

This is probably true given the years and decades other companies have had infrastructure built.

But this surge of gig nationwide has been spurred forward by Google, and to this point nobody has come close to Google's pricing for line rate gig, not to mention 'free' internet beyond the install fee.

It should've been available several years ago. Companies continue to bleed their customers for every nickel and dime they can while still providing antiquated equipment, poor service, and even poorer reliability.

The infrastructure has been there to provide much, much more.

In two days I will have gigabit Internet for $50/mo. Longmont municipal broadband managed by the city electric utility.

Every customer I've talked to so far loves it. The alternatives here are CenturyLink, Comcast, and SkyBeam wireless. The customer support for each of those three companies is incredibly awful.

Reactions: EvilPOKES
I'm in KC and have had Google Fiber for the past year. It's a great service, and am happy to be away from Time Warner and DirecTV as well. If anyone wants to full scoop on it, I'll write up a longer review tomorrow... If not, I'll save the keystrokes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT