ADVERTISEMENT

Global Warming Sea Level Impact

OrangeTuono

Starter
Gold Member
Nov 27, 2023
So we all "know" that mankind is causing global warming driving us to a climatic cataclism. We've know this quite a while, so what has been the impact on sea levels?

Reactions: OUSOONER67
So we all "know" that mankind is causing global warming driving us to a climatic cataclism. We've know this quite a while, so what has been the impact on sea levels?

I readily admit that the whole global warming thing to me is 100% grade A horse hit. Global Circulation Models (GCM's) can't with certainty predict changes. Then factor in all the other micro and macro changes in the ocean, sun spots etc etc and there is no freakin way to predict what the climate will be like in 5 years, let alone 100.

It always amazes me that a president will propose spending for a program that won't reach full fruition until they have been out of office for some number of years. It is the same with the hobgoblins regarding global warming (cough cough). They make predictions that are 20, 50 or even 100 years off. How do they know what will happen between now and then.

All that said, isn't ice ~10% water by volume? So how does so much ice melting, especially ice in the ocean actually increase sea levels. To me it should decrease the volume of water in the ocean because ~90% of the water the ice is displacing now will create voids when the ice melts. It has been warmer then it is now and it has been colder. Time for these idiots to move on.

Interesting stuffs. Really wish our "scientists" would get back to that archaic scientific method of clearly stated hypotheses, supporting and refuting information, then retrospective assessment after the data becomes available.

Melting of polar ice sheets and mountain glaciers has been understood as a main cause of sea level rise associated with contemporary climate warming. It has been proposed that an important anthropogenic contribution is sea level rise due to groundwater depletion resulting from irrigation. A climate model estimate for the period 1993–2010 gives total groundwater depletion of 2,150 GTon, equivalent to global sea level rise of 6.24 mm. However, direct observational evidence supporting this estimate has been lacking. In this study, we show that the model estimate of water redistribution from aquifers to the oceans would result in a drift of Earth's rotational pole, about 78.48 cm toward 64.16°E. In combination with other well-understood sources of water redistribution, such as melting of polar ice sheets and mountain glaciers, good agreement with PM observations serves as an independent confirmation of the groundwater depletion model estimate.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT