ADVERTISEMENT

Give me a book series to read

Love LeCarre. One genre I love is post ww2/Cold War spy stuff. LeCarre is at the top of that genre. If you like him try Len Deighton. Start with Berlin game, Mexico set, London match and then read spyhook, spy line and spy sinker. He has some stand alones too that are great. Also recommend Robert Ludlum. This is why I thought a good reads group would be fun.

I'll add Willa Carter.
If you like Deighton and LeCarre you might enjoy a book called The Double Game by Dan Fesperman. It isn't a series. It's both an homage to all the great spy books and a (somewhat humorous) spy story itself.

The Paul Christopher series by Charles McCarry is another great spy series. The Tears of Autumn probably being the best and sometimes being called the best spy novel ever written by an American.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowguy
If you like Deighton and LeCarre to might enjoy a book called The Double Game by Dan Fesperman. It isn't a series. It's both an homage to all the great spy books and a (somewhat humorous) spy story itself.

The Paul Christopher series by Charles McCarry is another great spy series. The Tears of Autumn probably being the best and sometimes being called the best spy novel ever written by an American.

Noted. Thanks!

I suspected this. If you liked the genre and setting I think you will like the Joe Pickett series.

The writing style is very different but the stories have many similarities.

Wrapping John Puller series. I'll take this on next.

Joe Pickett novels. Crime, mystery, hunting, ranching. Outstanding

Ps. I really loved every suggestion, that I hadn’t already read.

My mom has been after me to read the inspector Gamache books for years. Finally plowed through them and that’s a series I’d highly recommend.

Bumping this again. I need some new stuff.
Have you read the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn? If you haven't and you decide to try it, start with "American Assassin" and then go in chronological order.

FWIW - the books are a million times better than the movie. The movie was atrocious and pissed off every single Rapp fan on the planet.

Reactions: Rdcldad
@Been Jammin, Have you not read Mistborn or Warbreaker?

The last Stormlight book had characters from Warbreaker in it.

“Wit” has appeared in all of Sanderson’s cosmere novels. Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker and the Stormlight Archives.

No, I haven't. I'm not familiar with Warbreaker (just looked it up. Give me more information from your POV, please). I never started Mistborn, because I am reluctant to get into another multi-book series. Partially because I thought that W.O.W. was right around the corner (ha ha). Partially because I was reading other series and it seems like I always had the next one waiting to be read. Admittedly, I am currently in a lull and it might be a good time to get into something else.

No, I haven't. I'm not familiar with Warbreaker (just looked it up. Give me more information from your POV, please). I never started Mistborn, because I am reluctant to get into another multi-book series. Partially because I thought that W.O.W. was right around the corner (ha ha). Partially because I was reading other series and it seems like I always had the next one waiting to be read. Admittedly, I am currently in a lull and it might be a good time to get into something else.

Man, I need to read Warbreaker again... Thd sword that Szeth is currently carrying, the one that talks, is from it, and so is the mysterious female captain in the siege that Kaladin and company help out in.

The magic in it has to do with animating/reanimating lifeless objects.

I get the feeling some of the characters in it are world travelers (like Wit/Hoid), and might have been around from the beginning (when god died).

Mistborn is complete. Or the original trilogy is anyway. Not sure about the newer stuff, but it’s probably not particularly relevant to the rest of the Cosmere books. The newer ones are set in an 1800’s type setting where guys use guns and steam engines.

The original Mistborn books are really fun. Sanderson really gets to show off how well he writes an action scene in it. You’ll understand what Wit is capable of quite a bit better if you read the first one at least. The whole trilogy will give you a much clearer picture of what Odium is.

Man, I need to read Warbreaker again... Thd sword that Szeth is currently carrying, the one that talks, is from it, and so is the mysterious female captain in the siege that Kaladin and company help out in.

I get the feeling some of the characters in it are world travelers (like Wit/Hoid), and might have been around from the beginning (when god died).

Mistborn is complete. Or the original trilogy is anyway. Not sure about the newer stuff, but it’s probably not particularly relevant to the rest of the Cosmere books. The newer ones are set in an 1800’s type setting where guys use guns and steam engines.

The original Mistborn books are really fun. Sanderson really gets to show off how well he writes an action scene in it. You’ll understand what Wit is capable of quite a bit better if you read the first one at least. The whole trilogy will give you a much clearer picture of what Odium is.

Sounds good. Will probably start with Warbreaker.

The current Mistborn era is connected to the Cosmere with characters popping in from other things and possibly new big threat. Also he does things with the magic systems that you wouldn't have thought of during the 1st era, but also doesn't break the rules he setup in that era. They are also a fun read. He is on the last book of era 2 and there will be a 3rd era.

Reactions: KCMOrange
Have you read the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn? If you haven't and you decide to try it, start with "American Assassin" and then go in chronological order.

FWIW - the books are a million times better than the movie. The movie was atrocious and pissed off every single Rapp fan on the planet.

Yep and am patiently waiting the next book. Kyle Mills has actually done a nice job carrying the books forward

Reactions: OrangePhish

Can you give me an order to read all the books and series?

Can you give me an order to read all the books and series?

In which Sanderson basically says “read them in whatever order you want.”

And I’m ok with that. I’d read Warbreaker before the Stormlight Archive books (Way of Kings), but otherwise I’m not sure where they fit chronologically as I don’t know how Hoid/Wit moves back and forth yet. Depending on how fast he does it they could all be simultaneous except for Warbreaker and the third book in the Stormlight Archives. Mistborn takes place before a scene in the third book of SA, but that doesn’t mean they hadn’t been overlapping.

There is also a graphic novel written by someone else with Sanderson’s approval about another world in the Cosmere. It is based on a novel he wrote but never published, and I’m 99% sure Hoid has been there too based on his scene in Warbreaker and some things he does while story telling in SA books. It’s called White Sand.

Chronological order aside... Elantris is the sticker. It’s a good book. I’d normally recommend it first as a starting point, but I don’t like it nearly as much as the others. Sandrrson’s a much better writer today than he was then. By that I mean his wordsmithing, not his storytelling.

Of all the writers in fantasy that I like he is one of my favorite world builders and story tellers, but still probably the weakest writer. I feel like that made Elantris a difficult read for me.

Mistborn Final Empire on the otherness hand has such a cinematic feel to it that never bothered me a bit and I read all 600 pages in a 24 hour period, and twice since.

Reactions: KCMOrange
In which Sanderson basically says “read them in whatever order you want.”

And I’m ok with that. I’d read Warbreaker before the Stormlight Archive books (Way of Kings), but otherwise I’m not sure where they fit chronologically as I don’t know how Hoid/Wit moves back and forth yet. Depending on how fast he does it they could all be simultaneous except for Warbreaker and the third book in the Stormlight Archives. Mistborn takes place before a scene in the third book of SA, but that doesn’t mean they hadn’t been overlapping.

There is also a graphic novel written by someone else with Sanderson’s approval about another world in the Cosmere. It is based on a novel he wrote but never published, and I’m 99% sure Hoid has been there too based on his scene in Warbreaker and some things he does while story telling in SA books. It’s called White Sand.

Chronological order aside... Elantris is the sticker. It’s a good book. I’d normally recommend it first as a starting point, but I don’t like it nearly as much as the others. Sandrrson’s a much better writer today than he was then. By that I mean his wordsmithing, not his storytelling.

Of all the writers in fantasy that I like he is one of my favorite world builders and story tellers, but still probably the weakest writer. I feel like that made Elantris a difficult read for me.

Mistborn Final Empire on the otherness hand has such a cinematic feel to it that never bothered me a bit and I read all 600 pages in a 24 hour period, and twice since.
This is a rough chronological ordering of current cosmere works:

Dragonsteel will be the beginning, before the Shattering. Mistborn Era 4, the sci-fi trilogy is at the end.[156] Nightblood, the Warbreaker sequel, will be set closer to Warbreaker than Stormlight Archive.

Been reading the lightbringer series waiting for the next red rising book coming next month. It's a 5 book series and all 5 have been released ***edit the 5th is due this fall.
Been enjoying them so far I'm on book 3.
good reads link

Last edited:
Been reading the lightbringer series waiting for the next red rising book coming next month. It's a 5 book series and all 5 have been released ***edit the 5th is due this fall.
Been enjoying them so far I'm on book 3.
good reads link

I've read the first 4 books. Recommended.

Read the Acts of Caine series a while back and the first couple are really good.

Underrated book in the fantasy genre is Blood Song by Anthony Ryan. The second book in the series is almost equally good. The third is so-so

So I just finished Elantris. Enjoyed it, but I thought it was maybe 25% too long. If this is his “worst” book, if looking forward to reading the rest.

So I just finished Elantris. Enjoyed it, but I thought it was maybe 25% too long. If this is his “worst” book, if looking forward to reading the rest.
Yeah, it was the 1st book he got published and you can really see him grow as an author as you get further into his worlds.

Okay I have read the first three mistborn and Elantris. I’m reading the third stormlight book (oathbringer) as we speak and wow are those long books. I understand there are to be ten of these. I honestly think it’s going to get really tedious if this story is drawn out for 7 more books. Really enjoying them though. Good characters and interesting concepts.

Reactions: Been Jammin
Okay I have read the first three mistborn and Elantris. I’m reading the third stormlight book (oathbringer) as we speak and wow are those long books. I understand there are to be ten of these. I honestly think it’s going to get really tedious if this story is drawn out for 7 more books. Really enjoying them though. Good characters and interesting concepts.
They are going to be separated into 2 different eras. So the 1st one is coming to a close with book 5.

Not a series, but I just finished Stephen King's new book, The Institute. Really enjoyed it and would recommend.

The Flashman series by George McDonald Fraser is one of my favorites. They're hilarious, raunchy, racist, politically incorrect, and the guy that wrote them does a fantastic job of weaving in real history with the plot. Think sort of a Victorian blend of James Bond and Forrest Gump. Basically, the main character is a victorian military hero that's actually a coward.

Reactions: Been Jammin
You should try Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Tales series. Its about how England was formed and what the TV show The Last Kingdom is based on.

Not sure if I posted this previously, but base on this rec, I started this series and read the first six books very quickly. Very good! Great combo of history and historical fiction.

Reactions: SouthWestOKPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT