ADVERTISEMENT

Give me a book series to read

Cowguy

Heisman Winner
May 29, 2001
I am running out of things to read.

Just plowed through all the Travis McGee books (going to miss him). I like to read series that develop characters over time and books. Going back to a series that old should show that I am scraping the bottom of the barrel. I like fiction, non fiction, crime, mystery, espionage, fantasy, military, action and adventure. (I also like long walks on the beach ...)

I actually wondered if anyone would be willing to share their Goodreads info to form a group and share titles?

I'm Cowguy in Edmond, ok.

Don’t have Goodreads, but I’m a fan of Ken Follett. He largely writes historical fiction. I especially like the Fall of Giants series.

Read a bunch years ago. Need to get back into his later stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.

have you read danial silva’s gabriel allon series?

great page turners

One of my absolute favorite series and a perfect example of what I like to read. The evolvement and development of the characters in the series makes it so great. Plus Silva comes up with terrific plots. Gabriel is getting old though. Wonder if they'll create a character he can mentor to be the new him, as he moves into more of a behind the scenes role.

I haven't. Tell me more.

I have read two of his series...both of which I recommend.

The Stormlight Archives is 3 long novels with more to come. Fantasy genre. Really interesting and developed characters. Very well thought out world and combination of magic-like interactions and physics that differ from our world. Entertaining reading. There is also a short story that ties into the novels, which I have not read.

The Reckoners series is completed and consists of 3 novels and 2 short stories (short stories are optional). It is his attempt at putting together a Young Adult series, but I didn't feel that it was something that only young adults would enjoy. It takes place in the not too distant future of our world. The gist is that certain individuals develop super powers and that powers tend to corrupt their minds and make them evil. They enslave the humans and kill them on a whim. Each of them also has a weakness (like Superman has with Kryptonite), but they go to great lengths to keep their weakness a secret. The Reckoners are a group of regular humans working together to figure out the weakness of the most evil powered individuals and to kill them to prevent the suffering of the regular humans. The characters are very well developed and the books are quick reads.

I would also recommend the Agent Pendergast series by Preston Childs. I'm not sure how many there are, but Pendergast is an FBI agent whose family comes from multi-generational significant wealth in, and around, New Orleans. He is weird, creepy, and nonconventional. He is a believer in voodoo, the occult and other mystical trains of thought, and makes use of them to solve cases.

I have read two of his series...both of which I recommend.

The Stormlight Archives is 3 long novels with more to come. Fantasy genre. Really interesting and developed characters. Very well thought out world and combination of magic-like interactions and physics that differ from our world. Entertaining reading. There is also a short story that ties into the novels, which I have not read.

The Reckoners series is completed and consists of 3 novels and 2 short stories (short stories are optional). It is his attempt at putting together a Young Adult series, but I didn't feel that it was something that only young adults would enjoy. It takes place in the not too distant future of our world. The gist is that certain individuals develop super powers and that powers tend to corrupt their minds and make them evil. They enslave the humans and kill them on a whim. Each of them also has a weakness (like Superman has with Kryptonite), but they go to great lengths to keep their weakness a secret. The Reckoners are a group of regular humans working together to figure out the weakness of the most evil powered individuals and to kill them to prevent the suffering of the regular humans. The characters are very well developed and the books are quick reads.

I would also recommend the Agent Pendergast series by Preston Childs. I'm not sure how many there are, but Pendergast is an FBI agent whose family comes from multi-generational significant wealth in, and around, New Orleans. He is weird, creepy, and nonconventional. He is a believer in voodoo, the occult and other mystical trains of thought, and makes use of them to solve cases.
Sanderson also has several other series or single books that are connected to the Stormlight Archive because they are all in the same universe what he calls the Cosmere. There are a lot of references and characters that are from other books that appear in Stormlight, especially book 3.

Ken Follett is an excellent suggestion. Pillars of the Earth is probably on of the most respected modern books. His spy novels are also stellar.

Brandon Sanderson is awesome if you like fantasy. Plus he writes fast.

Reactions: Been Jammin

Just plowed through all the Travis McGee books (going to miss him). I like to read series that develop characters over time and books. Going back to a series that old should show that I am scraping the bottom of the barrel. I like fiction, non fiction, crime, mystery, espionage, fantasy, military, action and adventure. (I also like long walks on the beach ...)

I actually wondered if anyone would be willing to share their Goodreads info to form a group and share titles?

A History of the English Speaking People by Winston Churchill. Four volume set

Reactions: Cowguy

Also I'm Lane on in Stillwater, OK on goodreads. I would enjoy a group like that

Can't see how to add anyone from the app.

Click more. Click friends and then use the search bar for email or user name.

On the website click on the friends button after the page loads, on the right is a small search bar that says find friends by name or email.

The Long and Faraway Gone - Lou Berney

Really good book on its own but extra good for any OKC people. Lou is an OKC native and still lives here. He has a new one coming out this fall that is getting rave reviews.

The Long and Faraway Gone - Lou Berney

Really good book on its own but extra good for any OKC people. Lou is an OKC native and still lives here. He has a new one coming out this fall that is getting rave reviews.

Thanks to both of you. I have been looking for something new to read. Since I was born and raised in OKC, this one piqued my interest. Looks really good. Planning to start it tonight.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Thanks to both of you. I have been looking for something new to read. Since I was born and raised in OKC, this one piqued my interest. Looks really good. Planning to start it tonight.

He is a really talented guy. If you are into crime noir he's got a couple more that are really good (Gutshot Straight and Whiplash River). They don't have anything to do with OKC but are really good, pretty quick, light reads.

I really enjoyed ...

A Sword into Darkness by Thomas A. Mays.
Set this House in Order by Matt Ruff
The Mind Dimensions Series by Dima Zales
Artemis by Andy Weir (author of The Martian)

Reactions: Cowguy
Two things, both old.

Any Willa Cather book. That was crap I would've hated in high school Lit class but loved as an adult. My sainted grandmother gave my sister a Cather book as a teenager, and I borrowed that one. Anyone that grew up with any kind of connection to plains agriculture would dig those books. You get a real feel for what life and thoughts were like for people that grew up around the turn of the 20th century. 'One of Us' is about a kid from rural Nebraska that went off to fight WWI. Not sure why this is still interesting, but the writing quality is just off the charts.

Also, just bought and read my first John LeCarre' book, which is his latest. Now I have about 10 to go back and read. Super masterful writing and the king of the spy genre.

Two things, both old.

Any Willa Cather book. That was crap I would've hated in high school Lit class but loved as an adult. My sainted grandmother gave my sister a Cather book as a teenager, and I borrowed that one. Anyone that grew up with any kind of connection to plains agriculture would dig those books. You get a real feel for what life and thoughts were like for people that grew up around the turn of the 20th century. 'One of Us' is about a kid from rural Nebraska that went off to fight WWI. Not sure why this is still interesting, but the writing quality is just off the charts.

Also, just bought and read my first John LeCarre' book, which is his latest. Now I have about 10 to go back and read. Super masterful writing and the king of the spy genre.

Love LeCarre. One genre I love is post ww2/Cold War spy stuff. LeCarre is at the top of that genre. If you like him try Len Deighton. Start with Berlin game, Mexico set, London match and then read spyhook, spy line and spy sinker. He has some stand alones too that are great. Also recommend Robert Ludlum. This is why I thought a good reads group would be fun.

I'll add Willa Carter.

He is a really talented guy. If you are into crime noir he's got a couple more that are really good (Gutshot Straight and Whiplash River). They don't have anything to do with OKC but are really good, pretty quick, light reads.

Started The Long and Faraway Gone last night. Really well written. Riveting story. Especially for a guy who is the same age as the protagonist (Wyatt) and grew up in the same city.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Love LeCarre. One genre I love is post ww2/Cold War spy stuff. LeCarre is at the top of that genre. If you like him try Len Deighton. Start with Berlin game, Mexico set, London match and then read spyhook, spy line and spy sinker. He has some stand alones too that are great. Also recommend Robert Ludlum. This is why I thought a good reads group would be fun.

I'll add Willa Carter.
Willa Carter is a short order cook and recovering meth addict in a seen-better-days cafe in Wewoka, Willa Cather is the award willing novelist from the early 20th century.

Longmire

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT