ADVERTISEMENT

Finals

Don't think Joe sees 157 again. Most likely he and Chandler both bump up.

Would be nice if G or Boo could grow into 157.
If Joe can't make 57 then we will lose another high quality wrestler from our lineup next year( probably Jacobe). As indicated we will also lose a very good wrestler in the 1st 4 weight classes. I don't know how our wrestlers will grow but it would surprise me if Boo or Kaden can wrestle strong at 57 because Boo was small at 49 and maybe could have made 41 but Heil was there and Kaden wrestled 41 this year. Boy if we could have got Carr this year that would have been BIG but we likely did not have the money after we got Whitlake( great recruit) and Montalvo( good recruit). So it appears Jonce will wrestle 57. We needs a top 57 next year we should have a lot more money ( lose White, Weigel, Jacobe, Blaylock and Rogers). It is not a good problem to have when we wrestle guys at other weight classes that aren't near as good as the wrestler who is stuck in the wrestling room and can't make the lineup

Picc may be the odd man out. I think Fix stated that the plan is 25 for him in a Flo interview.

25-Fix
33-Kaid
41-Boo
49-Gfeller
57-Smith

Reactions: Mrgrapple
Pic, Fix, Brock, Gfellar, Boo, Joe Smith,C. Rodgers, Wiegel and White=8 AA's with 2-3 possible champs, good enough to win most years.

Who are you seeing as possible champs? Not arguing, just curious.

Wasn't able to watch the finals. I saw some posts that Kaid and Dean wrestled well. I know their scores were close but can someone elaborate on the 133 & 141 matches? Were there a lot of good attacks, scrambles, etc?

Wasn't able to watch the finals. I saw some posts that Kaid and Dean wrestled well. I know their scores were close but can someone elaborate on the 133 & 141 matches? Were there a lot of good attacks, scrambles, etc?

They were both the aggressors in their matches. Dean was somewhat close to getting a turn at the end that would have won the match. Dean didn’t wrestle his typical try to keep it close match. He really went at Meredith.

I thought Kaid looked great. It was fun match. Gross is just a freak for that weight class.

End of the day, we are going to have the potential to throw out a lineup with nine or ten really good wrestlers. On top of that, just about every guy will have to earn their spot and wrestle like hell to keep it.

Having a lot of good wrestlers is never a bad thing.

Who are you seeing as possible champs? Not arguing, just curious.
Fix A real Blue Chipper, Brock could get 2nd this year, lost by a few points to the likely NCAA Champ Today,Joe Smith If healthy as good as anyone, Gfellar wins Southern Scuffle (I know a little weaker than usual this year) as a true Freshman pinning a probable All American. Looking at it through the eyes of an admitted fan, but everyone of these and Pic should have as a goal NCAA Champ next year, need a perfect storm, but possible.

Boo looked great this weekend! In the finals he thoroughly thumped a kid who was an all American last year. I thought he should have been most outstanding wrestler, but I guess I just don’t understand the selection criteria.

If there is any way Joe can get to 157 I would bet John convinces him to start working asap to help the team.
With Joe at 57 we would only have 1 questionable quality weight class and that would be 84. However Moore showed a few sign that he is figuring out division 1 wrestling and maybe is working harder and listening to Coach Smith. However knee injuries really have hurt us this year hopefully none next year. An observation Jacobe seemed to struggle taking quick in balance shots with his knee injury but really seemed to gain confidence getting in close and using his strength to great advantage which I did not see near as much before the knee injury. He heals up, keeps working and uses that strength more hopefully he improves greatly

Great tournament and if Preston and Jacobe heal completely they will only add to our score at Nationals. The light finally went on for Keegan Moore and he was the surprise wrestler in the tournament IMO. He looked great every match he wrestled. Lets finish strong at Nationals and worry about next year in a few months.
LETS GO POKES!!!

Reactions: tfpoke and osu2082
We will have a great line up except maybe 184 but even with that line up hopefully we are a more Bonus type team cause that’s the only way to beat PSU is to match them with bonus points then beat them in semi and finale matches in head to heads at the Ncaa’s

They were both the aggressors in their matches. Dean was somewhat close to getting a turn at the end that would have won the match. Dean didn’t wrestle his typical try to keep it close match. He really went at Meredith.

I thought Kaid looked great. It was fun match. Gross is just a freak for that weight class.

kaid got to gross legs got out from bottom and wrestled with a nothing to lose freedom that will make him dangerous, capable and gives him more than a punchers chance of beating gross in cleveland.

heil got caught flat footed taken down and couldn’t escape at the end of a period that hurt the dynamic of his match. meredith has nothing horsepower wise for heil as heil blew right through his defense. meredith won with funk but if they lined championship matches or posted futures odds my cash would be on heil in two weeks.

We will have a great line up except maybe 184 but even with that line up hopefully we are a more Bonus type team cause that’s the only way to beat PSU is to match them with bonus points then beat them in semi and finale matches in head to heads at the Ncaa’s

I'm not ready to crown Moore but if he continues to develop and wrestle like he did this weekend 184 might not be a problem at all going forward.

not that anyone needs my advice but it would be great for heil to drill with a kendall cross type funkmeister the next two weeks...

Reactions: oberebo
I think the lineup next year will look like this, or similar.

125 fix or Nick
133 nick or Fix
141 kaid
149 boo
157 joe
165 chandler
174 smith
184 Moore
197 Weigel
Hvy Derek.

Joe has to make 57 next year. There isn't a choice, unless you think Rogers can cut to 57. Ringer made it and he's every bit as big as joe. He's had a year to heal and get square at the weight. Hope he has.

Here's one for you. Had someone tell me that they think Nick could end up at 41 next year. Has the height. He seems really narrow to me ... who knows.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
The Rotert v Smith match was just bizarre. Smith released Rotert in the second tie breaker with 1 second left on Rotert's side of riding time. He could have easily held for another two seconds without a stall warning. Then when it was over the ref raised the wrong wrestlers hand. The whole match was a little embarrassing for the conference. Smith seemed to be the better rider, but just was not thinking.
Had Preston been fully recovered and in shape he would have beaten both of those guys.

I think you guys are selling Jacobe Smith short. If he can get repaired over the off season not sure anybody is going to bump up and beat him off the team.

The Rotert v Smith match was just bizarre. Smith released Rotert in the second tie breaker with 1 second left on Rotert's side of riding time. He could have easily held for another two seconds without a stall warning. Then when it was over the ref raised the wrong wrestlers hand. The whole match was a little embarrassing for the conference. Smith seemed to be the better rider, but just was not thinking.
Had Preston been fully recovered and in shape he would have beaten both of those guys.

I think you guys are selling Jacobe Smith short. If he can get repaired over the off season not sure anybody is going to bump up and beat him off the team.
Smith was a douche bag after his match with Weigel on Saturday night. He didn't make an offensive shot the whole match against Rotert. Sweet karma showed up when he lost on riding time.... That ref had a few Steve Harvey moments.

125 fix or Nick
133 nick or Fix
141 kaid
149 boo
157 joe
165 chandler
174 smith
184 Moore
197 Weigel
Hvy Derek.

Joe has to make 57 next year. There isn't a choice, unless you think Rogers can cut to 57. Ringer made it and he's every bit as big as joe. He's had a year to heal and get square at the weight. Hope he has.

Here's one for you. Had someone tell me that they think Nick could end up at 41 next year. Has the height. He seems really narrow to me ... who knows.

Joe making 157 (in a healthy manner) could be the different between a really solid team and a true NC contender. Coach knows this but knows his son as well. I don't think Joe can make 157 anymore.

Nick up at 141 would be a shock and would signal a major change as many close to the program have said Picc can be a career 125.

Last edited:
Reactions: Air_Thurman
Keegan was impressive to watch all weekend on Flo. Worth watching replays a few times. Where did that gas tank come from? That would be fun to watch for a whole season. Wouldn't that be something if he AAs?

Keegan was impressive to watch all weekend on Flo. Worth watching replays a few times. Where did that gas tank come from? That would be fun to watch for a whole season. Wouldn't that be something if he AAs?
Good to hear. Maybe he’s buckled down a bit more here at the end? Whatever it is, I’m happy for him.

I talked to him Saturday night after his loss and he was pretty shook up. Felt like he should have won and wanted to finish strong this year because he wasted time this year. Was ready to get back to wrestling on Sunday. Nice kid.

125 fix or Nick
133 nick or Fix
141 kaid
149 boo
157 joe
165 chandler
174 smith
184 Moore
197 Weigel
Hvy Derek.

What about Gfellar? Kid has looked great and was ranked the number 1 redshirt freshman by Flo.

125 fix or Nick
133 nick or Fix
141 kaid
149 boo
157 joe
165 chandler
174 smith
184 Moore
197 Weigel
Hvy Derek.

Everyone's body type is different. Just cause Ringer made it, doesn't mean joe should make it as well. Truth is, joe has a difficulty making 157. No different from marstellar trying to make that weight. Wouldn't surprise me if Gfeller grows into 157. Place joe at 165 and bump everyone up. Only question is can jacobe smith make 184? Chandler has the body to become a 174 pounder and has wrestled at that weight. Just my opinion of a best case scenario lineup

125 Nick
133 Fix
141 kaid
149 boo
157 Gfeller
165 joe smith
174 chandler
184 jacobe smith
197 Weigel
Hvy Derek.

I don't see Joe making 157 either and I wonder how effective he would be if he did. Not a fan of the big weight cutting approach, I'd rather see guys wrestle with energy. Look at Derek this year vs last year. And a few years back, Dean lost ranking matches at 133 to both GWH and Brian Crutchmer before bumping up to 141.

What if Joe jumped up to 174?

Think Todd Chesbro back in the late ‘80’s. Went up two weights, went from low AA to National Runner-up.

This is fun!

I still think Fix wrestles at 25. Brock, Picc, Boo and Gfeller at 33-49 unless 57 is an option for Gfeller?

It is apparent that we have a dangerous roster and we damn sure better have an outstanding S&C coach to help figure this out...gonna be fun!

Reactions: osuind
Keegan could turn out like that one guy we had back in 02-03. Had a terrible freshman season always looked tired during matches, struggled on bottom and could hardly wrestle the full 7 minutes. And he flipped a switch during NCAAs and won it all. He only finished his career with 3 titles 4 AAs and 4team titles though

Keegan could turn out like that one guy we had back in 02-03. Had a terrible freshman season always looked tired during matches, struggled on bottom and could hardly wrestle the full 7 minutes. And he flipped a switch during NCAAs and won it all. He only finished his career with 3 titles 4 AAs and 4team titles though

I'm looking for more of Jake Rosholt type freshman year finish.

This is fun!

I still think Fix wrestles at 25. Brock, Picc, Boo and Gfeller at 33-49 unless 57 is an option for Gfeller?

It is apparent that we have a dangerous roster and we damn sure better have an outstanding S&C coach to help figure this out...gonna be fun!

Gary Calcagno might very well be the best wrestling S&C in the country. Not only do the current wrestlers brag about him, even guys like JO continue to sing his praises. Flo interviewed him during the Italy trip and he talked about the program he put Derek White on during the off season.

Everyone's body type is different. Just cause Ringer made it, doesn't mean joe should make it as well. Truth is, joe has a difficulty making 157. No different from marstellar trying to make that weight. Wouldn't surprise me if Gfeller grows into 157. Place joe at 165 and bump everyone up. Only question is can jacobe smith make 184? Chandler has the body to become a 174 pounder and has wrestled at that weight. Just my opinion of a best case scenario lineup

125 Nick
133 Fix
141 kaid
149 boo
157 Gfeller
165 joe smith
174 chandler
184 jacobe smith
197 Weigel
Hvy Derek.

125: Picc/Fix
133: Fix/Picc
141: Brock
149: Lewallen/Gfeller
157: Gfeller/Blaylock/Martinez
165: Smith
174: Rogers
184: Smith/Moore
197: Weigel/Marsden
285: White

That's pretty much the way I see it too. Its hard to tell if Brock or Rogers have the size (and think both appear to have stopped growing) for the bump up, but both seem to struggle in the 3rd, so if they can maintain there first period pace up a weight class, might be better. However, if Joe actually grew another inch or so this year, perhaps jump to 174 and Chandler can stay put. I would think and hope the coaches are looking at where guys are on their growth curves, style of wrestling etc. so all are focused on whatever adjustments needed for weight class changes. Many times guys are more successful when they move up, but its an individual body size/style, growth, wrestling style thing.

Also, one of the things learn the last few years is it really helps to have good backup options when unlucky with injuries.

Reactions: Wrassler17
What did Gross do other than beat an OSU guy to have you label him a little punk?
What did Gross do other than beat an OSU guy to have you label him a little punk?
Goose, he did nothing to be labeled that. He was just the better wrestlerin a great match that went back and forth. Possibly, the poster was alluding to his prior experience at Iowa but I do not know that and not pertinent to the present time.

Reactions: Rdcldad
Goose, he did nothing to be labeled that. He was just the better wrestlerin a great match that went back and forth. Possibly, the poster was alluding to his prior experience at Iowa but I do not know that and not pertinent to the present time.

Thanks. Good seeing you guys. Congrats on another title. Have fun in Cleveland. Not going but took the days off to watch.

Reactions: Rdcldad
i read gross tweets from time to time
kid wrestled up to take on merideth

i respect him and will pull for him
outside kaid of course

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT