ADVERTISEMENT

DT media availability

Ugh. Why do people think secrecy is the way to success? I get the ultimate goal is to win, but retaining and getting new people interested in the sport is important too. You can have both, IMO.
I don't think being tight lipped about your team has any effect on growing the sport. Having the coaches go out there raising the level of the sport at the high school level has a far greater impact on the sport imo. As we know, that is one of the foundational aspects of DT's hire. To grow wrestling in OK and surrounding states.

As for the issue of talking about the team, I think DT holds to the, "loose lips sink ships" adage. The less outsiders know, the better off the team is. We'll all know in due time.

I don't think being tight lipped about your team has any effect on growing the sport. Having the coaches go out there raising the level of the sport at the high school level has a far greater impact on the sport imo. As we know, that is one of the foundational aspects of DT's hire. To grow wrestling in OK and surrounding states.

As for the issue of talking about the team, I think DT holds to the, "loose lips sink ships" adage. The less outsiders know, the better off the team is. We'll all know in due time.
I do - access breeds fanatacism in smaller sports. You are right that being a past wrestler certainly does too, of course, but for everyone else? Getting people interested on a collegiate level entails interesting stories and knowing about the team.

As for the loose lips theory - what on earth does it help or hurt if outsiders know that Cael Hughes is going 41 instead of 33? Or who has really stepped it up and raised a level? JS didn't start stinking because he was open, he started stinking because we missed on some kids and he missed the boat on fundraising, RTC, NIL and had some high profile misses because we had to take talented, highly rated kids with spotty personal records that teams like PSU could pass on.

Reactions: AtownPoke
Why would he define his thoughts on a weight/starter before Wrestle offs?

Almost nothing good comes from saying, yeah, it’s Hughes. Hughes probably lets off a little knowing it’s his to lose. At that point, Blankenship and JJ tone it down…but could turn it up to try and take it.

So at best, it’s 2/3 bad with the possibility that one good thing can happen.

Almost nothing good comes from saying, yeah, it’s Hughes. Hughes probably lets off a little knowing it’s his to lose. At that point, Blankenship and JJ tone it down…but could turn it up to try and take it.

Im not saying he should necessarily say who is in the lead, my for instance was just a weight classification. And honestly, even if he says who is in the lead? IMO it lights a fire under the butts of guys who actually care.

Reactions: Pennstate1985

... and with the new contacts rules, knowing CC and Blankenship are not going to be starters means someone outside the team now knows these kids can be recruited to go elsewhere. Honestly, nothing good happens when info gets out of the room too soon.

Reactions: On Tulsa Time
... and with the new contacts rules, knowing CC and Blankenship are not going to be starters means someone outside the team now knows these kids can be recruited to go elsewhere. Honestly, nothing good happens when info gets out of the room too soon.
Oh please, if someone else wanted those guys they’d already be in contact. They ain’t waiting for a comment from the head coach

Oh please, if someone else wanted those guys they’d already be in contact. They ain’t waiting for a comment from the head coach
Here's a real life example. Carter Starocci is moving up in weight. To what weight? Took 6-7 months before it finally leaked out that he was going 184 instead of 197. Why not come out right away and say he is going 184? Because once you know his weight, everyone knows which wrestlers will likely be on the bench instead of vying for a starter role. If that info leaks out in March/April, you have to be concerned with a transfer of a talented guy. In October, not so much. These things seem minor and silly, but why give anyone an opportunity to wedge a guy smarting from losing a starter spot.

In a lot of cases, you're likely correct in that, "what's the harm". There are situations where silence is the better option.

Here's a real life example. Carter Starocci is moving up in weight. To what weight? Took 6-7 months before it finally leaked out that he was going 184 instead of 197. Why not come out right away and say he is going 184? Because once you know his weight, everyone knows which wrestlers will likely be on the bench instead of vying for a starter role. If that info leaks out in March/April, you have to be concerned with a transfer of a talented guy. In October, not so much. These things seem minor and silly, but why give anyone an opportunity to wedge a guy smarting from losing a starter spot.

In a lot of cases, you're likely correct in that, "what's the harm". There are situations where silence is the better option.
You don't think the wrestlers in the room already knew? If I was a coach in this day and age I (or an intermediary) would have already been in contact with the guys at 84 and 97 (Mirasola?) if I thought I had a chance to poach and I wanted them. And if the 84 starter that was going to end up the backup was amenable to a conversation, bam. I'll say this too: if they aren't being honest with (or slowplaying telling) the wrestlers on the team they might be displaced by a guy moving weights, that's BS too. I don't think any of this is real "news" to the people that matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT