ADVERTISEMENT

Did Dan finally do it?

Self-immolator has died, and was Air Force active duty and pro-Hamas. Ah yes....Biden's military. Frightening.

Here was a self-immolator actually on the right side of things.

Thích Quảng Đức:​

Self-immolation-Difference-between-revisions-Wikipedia.jpg

We visited this intersection a few years ago. Quite haunting, and the radio tower in the background is still there. His memorial is behind this scene.

Reactions: OUSOONER67
No. Although the War Remnants Museum is pretty dang cool. I went to it in ‘98 when it was the ‘American War Crimes Museum’. They really cleaned it up and changed the name the second time I visited years later.

My memory is fuzzy but it seems like that car wasnt in HCMC. Seems like it was north around Hue or someplace but can’t recall exactly. It’s a shrine.

Visiting such a place seems very Jane Fonda-ish. Just sayin’.

jane-fonda-in-hanoi-3.JPG
Not really. I mean, the war's been over for 49 years and we are now Vietnam's largest trading partner. The free markets are alive and well in South Vietnam, and they welcome visitors from the U.S. without having any political motivation, other than to get out their side of the story. I'm certainly not limiting my world experiences and deprive myself of seeing an incredible place due to something Hanoi Jane did 50+ years ago.

Reactions: Breastman
No. Although the War Remnants Museum is pretty dang cool. I went to it in ‘98 when it was the ‘American War Crimes Museum’. They really cleaned it up and changed the name the second time I visited years later.

My memory is fuzzy but it seems like that car wasnt in HCMC. Seems like it was north around Hue or someplace but can’t recall exactly. It’s a shrine.
Unfortunately we did not get to Hue on our first visit. We did Hanoi, Saigon, and a Halong Bay cruise. And I ain't waiting in line two hours to see Ho Chi Minh's pickled corpse.

Reactions: Breastman
Not really. I mean, the war's been over for 49 years and we are now Vietnam's largest trading partner. The free markets are alive and well in South Vietnam, and they welcome visitors from the U.S. without having any political motivation, other than to get out their side of the story. I'm certainly not limiting my world experiences and deprive myself of seeing an incredible place due to something Hanoi Jane did 50+ years ago.
Suit yourself. I’ll never set foot in that shithole. And I have no interest in their side of the story. I’ve heard from our vets the only side I need to hear.

Last edited:
Suit yourself. I’ll never set foot in that shithole. And I have no interest in their side of the story. I’ve heard from our vets the only side I need to hear.
Actually, up until many started dying off, a huge number of Vietnam veterans visited Vietnam for purposes of reconciliation and understanding, and they were and are heartily welcomed there. You may not choose to gain an understanding of the whole ugly situation from 1954 to the present, but I have read dozens of books and have watched dozens of documentaries and other portrayals of the conflict from many sides. I have seen the recreations of the booby traps they used on our soldiers the tunnel systems, and many more things over there you probably couldn't handle seeing.

And FYI, when I had a cousin proudly proclaim he was one of the "activists" who spit in returning vets' faces and called them "baby killers", I spit back in his face and asked him how he liked it. Don't impugn me as some pro-communist peacenik. It was not the fault of the soldiers who were basically kidnapped by LBJ and later Nixon to experience this hopeless ordeal.

Actually, up until many started dying off, a huge number of Vietnam veterans visited Vietnam for purposes of reconciliation and understanding, and they were and are heartily welcomed there. You may not choose to gain an understanding of the whole ugly situation from 1954 to the present, but I have read dozens of books and have watched dozens of documentaries and other portrayals of the conflict from many sides. I have seen the recreations of the booby traps they used on our soldiers the tunnel systems, and many more things over there you probably couldn't handle seeing.

And FYI, when I had a cousin proudly proclaim he was one of the "activists" who spit in returning vets' faces and called them "baby killers", I spit back in his face and asked him how he liked it. Don't impugn me as some pro-communist peacenik. It was not the fault of the soldiers who were basically kidnapped by LBJ and later Nixon to experience this hopeless ordeal.
I merely told you to “suit yourself.”

Reactions: iasooner2000

My father would never go back , he spent 7 tours there. He went to the Vietnam memorial with my mom in their motorhome a couple years before he passed. He spent a solid week in the motorhome and my mom was in my aunts house. He was miserable.

My neighbor was just here and he was a medic in 1st Calvary and received a bronze star. His fiancé is in the Philippines now. Different stroke for different folks I guess.

Hopeless ordeal? We won the war. The Viet Kong was virtually destroyed after the Tet offensive. We left in 1973. In 1975 it wasn't pajama wearing Clydes marching into Saigon. It was the NVA in tanks coming right down clear highways heading south. President Ford could have rolled them all up with b-52's carpet bombing the whole lot.

We could have kept South Vietnam going indefinitely with the occasional bombing of massed formations and Military aid. Unfortunatly we cut them off. But the war was winnable and WAS won. Nixon's resignation and the democratic congress lost the war that was already won.

Reactions: soonerinlOUisiana
Hopeless ordeal? We won the war. The Viet Kong was virtually destroyed after the Tet offensive. We left in 1973. In 1975 it wasn't pajama wearing Clydes marching into Saigon. It was the NVA in tanks coming right down clear highways heading south. President Ford could have rolled them all up with b-52's carpet bombing the whole lot.

We could have kept South Vietnam going indefinitely with the occasional bombing of massed formations and Military aid. Unfortunatly we cut them off. But the war was winnable and WAS won. Nixon's resignation and the democratic congress lost the war that was already won.

Was it 1965 when 400 US doggies after landing took 48 hours to kill 1200 Kong? Me and my fierce warrior buddies could have wrapped Vietnam in two weeks without president's interference.

Eight US women died in the Vietnam war. The nurse who was killed while lying over a male patient under mortar fire likely has yet to be forgiven. The doggie who's life she saved said afterward he'd never forgive her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT