Dave, a wine question...

trapped_in_tx

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2001
Longmont, CO
@davidallen

1-10, where do you think this rates?

I am woefully unaware of Cali Pinot Noir.

71-FFA8-A6-EE2-E-4-F89-90-B8-7-CD82-C3-D4-C80.jpg

Reactions: davidallen
@davidallen

1-10, where do you think this rates?

I am woefully unaware of Cali Pinot Noir.

71-FFA8-A6-EE2-E-4-F89-90-B8-7-CD82-C3-D4-C80.jpg
Solid 6 out of 10, for the money probably one of the better choices (that and a La Crema). They can be a little over sulfited - so if you end up with a headache an hour or so later then that could be the cause. I find the Mirassou to be a bit plumy. Prefer a brighter, more acidic, taste.

If it were me I would spend another $5-10 and get me a Ponzi or Argyle. If you have to go with Cali Pinot then look for something out of Santa Barbara - like a Meiomi.

Thanks. It got included in the package Easter dinner we bought so I didn’t choose it. :)

I’m used to Italian wines - Chianti and Sangiovese - and a smattering of west coast Cabernets. The flavor of this one was quite different - since I don’t dabble in Pinot Noir often I wasn’t sure what to think of it and wanted to be sure they didn’t stick me with a crappy bottle.

Thanks. It got included in the package Easter dinner we bought so I didn’t choose it. :)

I’m used to Italian wines - Chianti and Sangiovese - and a smattering of west coast Cabernets. The flavor of this one was quite different - since I don’t dabble in Pinot Noir often I wasn’t sure what to think of it and wanted to be sure they didn’t stick me with a crappy bottle.
That bottle pictured should be around $10 - on sale as low as $7. It is a volume play, and you will find it in a lot mid-scale restaurants at $16 or so.

A Sangiovese and a Pinot have a lot in common on the grape side. Both are really hard to grow, thin skins mean lighter on the tannin and more fruit forward which I like. Sangiovese done right is more delicate than a Pinot which takes on more of the earthy notes - the terroir as the French say. You can get some of that earthiness from a Sangiovese but it is more tea like to me than the earthen nose of a good Oregon Pinot. Crazy sounding I know, but if you work on it a little you really can get to know the character of wine from the smell.

In the end, I subscribe to the Justin Wilson school of wine. Asked what kind of wine he liked, he said something to the effect of "what wine you got?"

That bottle pictured should be around $10 - on sale as low as $7. It is a volume play, and you will find it in a lot mid-scale restaurants at $16 or so.

A Sangiovese and a Pinot have a lot in common on the grape side. Both are really hard to grow, thin skins mean lighter on the tannin and more fruit forward which I like. Sangiovese done right is more delicate than a Pinot which takes on more of the earthy notes - the terroir as the French say. You can get some of that earthiness from a Sangiovese but it is more tea like to me than the earthen nose of a good Oregon Pinot. Crazy sounding I know, but if you work on it a little you really can get to know the character of wine from the smell.

In the end, I subscribe to the Justin Wilson school of wine. Asked what kind of wine he liked, he said something to the effect of "what wine you got?"

Are you a scotch drinker, David?

You boys should drinking Zinfandel or malbec step up to the plate boys

Speaking of any of you using Vivino app? I freaking love that app and I love that it is normal people rating the wines and not these wine snobs.

I find Pinot to be pretty varied. When it is peppery, I really enjoy it but mostly it's more fruity/medium body and it is good but I usually would go with a sangiovese(maybe because I spent a few weeks in Italy and drank the crap out of Chianti).

I tend to fall into the Cab, Syrah, Petite Syrah, Garnache, Tempranillo, Nebbiolo, or if I feel like spending mo money, Brunello di Montalcino.

So on night two of the inexpensive Mirassou Pinot, I have to say it’s better, but that’s not saying a lot.

I picked up bottles of the Argyle and Meiomi to try.

I tend to like wines that are spicier and bolder than this Pinot, but I most like the ones that still retain a nice fruitiness to balance them. This Mirassou seems too fruity to me.

And agree with you @davidallen about the pluminess and the sulfites.

So on night two of the inexpensive Mirassou Pinot, I have to say it’s better, but that’s not saying a lot.

I picked up bottles of the Argyle and Meiomi to try.

I tend to like wines that are spicier and bolder than this Pinot, but I most like the ones that still retain a nice fruitiness to balance them. This Mirassou seems too fruity to me.

And agree with you @davidallen about the pluminess and the sulfites.
Have you tried Malbec? Get something out of the Mendoza (so?) region.

"these wine snobs"?
Meant those. Also wasn’t a shot at anyone on here. I like you guys. I like that price and such is taken into the equation also. I will say I have tried some Tempranillo lately and love that stuff also. I just love the heck of red wines for the most part. Had a nice cab/merlot blend from Galilee Israel this Easter. It was real good.

have you tried any of the Scott and Cellar wines?

Slowly moving that way. Have enjoyed a couple of nice ones before we stopped going out. You got some in that flask of yours?

always. I just wondered because you seem to have an advanced palate. Good start for a scotch drinker.

Broadening the topic a bit - if anyone really loves great Zinfandel's, then I highly, highly recommend Ridge Vineyards out of CA. They make more traditional, European-style wines with a heavy focus on a wonderful range of Zinfandel and other perhaps unappreciated varietals across their various properties (usually $35-$40/bottle price range). We are part of their wine club and get quarterly shipments of various new releases and their quality is impeccable and the price point is attractive.

They also make a high-end Cabernet (the Monte Bello) which is always highly sought after....and a very nice Estate Cabernet as well.

They only make one white wine, a Chardonnay which is my all-time favorite of that varietal. Strongly recommend.

Last edited:
Meant those. Also wasn’t a shot at anyone on here. I like you guys. I like that price and such is taken into the equation also. I will say I have tried some Tempranillo lately and love that stuff also. I just love the heck of red wines for the most part. Had a nice cab/merlot blend from Galilee Israel this Easter. It was real good.

My wife sells it. By sell I mean drink.

I had someone wanting me to join them in selling it but was scared I would be my only client.
You should read about it. It’s often smaller vineyards. It’s tested for certain food additives like sugar, mega-purple, etc. When a wine tastes and tests good, the whole vintage is purchased. It’s also nice to a nice variety and have it shipped to your front door.

By the way, if your red wine is making your teeth purple, it likely has mega-purple. If it’s giving you a headache the next day, it may not be that you drank too much. It may be all the added sugars.

You should read about it. It’s often smaller vineyards. It’s tested for certain food additives like sugar, mega-purple, etc. When a wine tastes and tests good, the whole vintage is purchased. It’s also nice to a nice variety and have it shipped to your front door.

By the way, if your red wine is making your teeth purple, it likely has mega-purple. If it’s giving you a headache the next day, it may not be that you drank too much. It may be all the added sugars.
Yea it is a really cool brand. I really looked into selling it and researched the company. I have enjoyed several of their wines they have sold. It is very clean and the guy who was trying to bring me on will only drink their stuff. I would have done it as a side business but we were about to have our son and I feared not being able to do a lot of the wine tasting parties that would required to promote the product.

Reactions: squeak
You boys should drinking Zinfandel or malbec step up to the plate boys
I was on board with your complexity of wine until you left off Boone's Farm.;)

To be honest, I have enjoyed some Malbec from Argentina.

Zerba Cellars in southern Washington and northern Oregon has some fantastic wine. I believe the primary vineyards are in Oregon.

Yea it is a really cool brand. I really looked into selling it and researched the company. I have enjoyed several of their wines they have sold. It is very clean and the guy who was trying to bring me on will only drink their stuff. I would have done it as a side business but we were about to have our son and I feared not being able to do a lot of the wine tasting parties that would required to promote the product.
She doesn’t do anything. Did a couple tastings at the start. She grossed about $4k last year. Not sure it covered her wine consumption costs :) You can always just sign up as a customer.

We recently stopped our wine club memberships at Peju and St. Supery because we (my wife) like Scout & Cellar so much.

I find Pinot to be pretty varied. When it is peppery, I really enjoy it but mostly it's more fruity/medium body and it is good but I usually would go with a sangiovese(maybe because I spent a few weeks in Italy and drank the crap out of Chianti).

I tend to fall into the Cab, Syrah, Petite Syrah, Garnache, Tempranillo, Nebbiolo, or if I feel like spending mo money, Brunello di Montalcino.
Good stuff. Like Justin says - "what kinda wine you got?"

I am good to give them a go... Tempranillo can be a bit tannic for me, but there is a time and a place for it - with the right food it can be really nice.

Zerba Cellars in southern Washington and northern Oregon has some fantastic wine. I believe the primary vineyards are in Oregon.
Zerba is a nice up and comer... they operate out of Dundee (heart of Pinot country) and Walla Walla (more Cab growing out in the dry, warm climate) - gives them a wide range of fruit to work with.

Funny wine story.

I went to Australia a few years ago for work. While there, one Saturday I did a wine tour in Hunter Valley. One of the vineyards was Lambloch Estate. It’s 2010 the Loch was voted Australia’s best Shiraz. Usually an $800 Penfold’s wins. So, I picked up a bottle for about $100. Took the thing home. Kept it in my wine fridge for 7 years. It will age for 50.

As I mentioned, my wife does Scout & Cellar so she gets all sorts of bottles all the time. She puts the them in the fridge and just pulls them out as she likes. I try to keep the good bottles on the top two shelves. Doesn’t always work out for me.

Anyway, one random Tuesday at 10:30 at night she goes and opens a bottle. She comes in the room with a glass and says “this one is called the Loch.” I was speechless. My most prized bottle, one I hoped to open when my daughter got married or some other special occasion, was done.

It’s been almost a year and I’m still pissed about it.

Funny wine story.

I went to Australia a few years ago for work. While there, one Saturday I did a wine tour in Hunter Valley. One of the vineyards was Lambloch Estate. It’s 2010 the Loch was voted Australia’s best Shiraz. Usually an $800 Penfold’s wins. So, I picked up a bottle for about $100. Took the thing home. Kept it in my wine fridge for 7 years. It will age for 50.

As I mentioned, my wife does Scout & Cellar so she gets all sorts of bottles all the time. She puts the them in the fridge and just pulls them out as she likes. I try to keep the good bottles on the top two shelves. Doesn’t always work out for me.

Anyway, one random Tuesday at 10:30 at night she goes and opens a bottle. She comes in the room with a glass and says “this one is called the Loch.” I was speechless. My most prized bottle, one I hoped to open when my daughter got married or some other special occasion, was done.

You prefaced that as a funny story and finished by saying you are still pissed about it. :)

FWIW, I’d be pissed too.

Funny wine story.

My wife just tonight: “I almost opened a $150 bottle by accident”.

I’m honestly going to have to give her a small wine fridge (it would be our 3rd) for approved drinkables.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT