ADVERTISEMENT

Dapper Dan March 15 USA Team

mike tognetti

All-American
Jan 27, 2012
A couple of OSU recruits on USA team, Nick Piccininni 126 and Joe Smith 160. How come #1 at 132 Kaid Brock not going?

This post was edited on 3/9 11:23 AM by mike tognetti
http://www.wrestlingclassic.com/
This post was edited on 3/9 11:24 AM by mike tognetti

It is an invite situation, so possibly he turned them down. Possibly they wanted to have more different states represented. I'm not sure, but I would have loved to see Brock in it. It's also ironic that since they picked the USA team that Lewallen has defeated Jeffries twice and now there are two OK ranked higher, I'm not sure Moore is ready to go anyway, but I did see he was registers for flonats. It would have been great to see Piccinnini, Brock, Lewallen and Smith!! Oh by the way, pretty nice class coming in.

As well as Simmons and Smith.

I just realized those are 2 days away from each other.

This post was edited on 3/9 1:37 PM by april racer

DJ was selected when he was ranked #2 and Boo was around the #8 or so spot, prior to their first meeting. As for Brock, he was ranked at 126# at the time the team was selected. What you have to understand is that the selection is based primarily on rankings and everyone ahead of Brock and Smith back in late January, early February had first choice. If they declined, which they did, then the selection goes down the rankings.

Brock is a monster . Can't wait to see him in orange

Meluv, I'm pretty sure Brock was number 1 at 126 after he beat Poccinnini at WNO.

Originally posted by april racer:
Meluv, I'm pretty sure Brock was number 1 at 126 after he beat Poccinnini at WNO.
You are correct and I meant to write 132#. At the time of the selection, Pletcher was #1, which is irrelevant since it's a senior only all-star dual. Brock is tough, no doubt and his match Jaydin Clayton next week is going to be fun to watch.

USA and Illinois ran away with the duals. All our wrestlers won (Marsden, Piccininni and Smith). Jeffries beat the #1 rank guy Krivus and he controlled the whole match. Just like how Lewallen beat Jeffries at state.
This post was edited on 3/15 7:03 PM by mike tognetti

Originally posted by mike tognetti:
USA and Illinois ran away with the duals. All our wrestlers won (Marsden, Piccininni and Smith). Jeffries beat the #1 rank guy Krivus and he controlled the whole match. Just like how Lewallen beat Jeffries at state.
Mike based off limited info and just looking at the rankings the Smith win looks to be a very nice win and minor upset of the #2 guy at his weight nationally. Am I seeing that correct?

The same way Sam Krivus defeated Boo Lewallen 8-0 at 2014 FloNationals.

That was a year ago, and Lewallen was hurt at that tournament. As for the match Smith/Shields,the rankings was with Joe at 170 (5)and Shields 160 (2). Joe competed at 152 last year and moved up to 170 this year. I think mostly to help the team and also not have to worry about his weight. As for a upset, I think Shields TF Joe in freestyle last summer which moved Shields up the rankings and Joe down. Didn't see the match but if Shields laced him and scored 10,000 points on that one move, you can't gauge a wrestler on a loss on one move. Looking at Joe, a sure 157 maybe 149, but I think that is a big cut for Joe. Joe sure has grown since his Jr year and I love his mean streak. OSU recruited Shields, I hear projected 174/184 pounder. Have seen Joe in the room wrestling some of our better talent and he is college ready. Not saying AA right now but he can compete coming in. Really high on our incoming class, a lot of firepower and tough young men.

This post was edited on 3/16 6:28 AM by mike tognetti

This post was edited on 3/16 6:40 AM by mike tognetti

I just watched the match again, Joe looks bigger than Shields. I think he has outgrown 149. Controlled the whole match and always moving forward. The only offense from Shields was from Joe not finishing on his and Shields making it into a scramble.

MT-- shields is an undersized HS 160. He does not cut weight and likely will be 157 in college. Stood next to smith after the event last night and he is significantly bigger than Shields.

Hey Mike, Boo is a good kid, I will never take anything away from him. let's ask yourself a question, would you like to be known as a state champion or a national champion? I really didn't understand your point, because I really don't know what one has to do with the other.. OSU has a great recruiting class coming most are Oklahoma kids..

All I know is Boo beat Jeffries the last two time they meet, and I would like to be a National Champion before a State Champion. But If I was a National Champion and didn't win state that year I would think that the competition in state was tougher than that National Tournament that I won. I would feel bad both ways because I would of wanted to win both! If you are offended about me saying Boo is better than Jeffries I'm sorry but that is how I feel. This is a OSU board and if Jeffries was a OSU recruit I would be pumping up him. Because he is a Oklahoma wrestler is also why I post on this thread about him winning.

Your facts are wrong but a I will not waste my time.. I am not offended I didn't understand you point in bringing up Jeffries win on the OSU board isn't he a Sooner?

Yes he is and also a Oklahoma wrestler. My facts are wrong about Boo beating him the last 2 times, it has been the last 4 times.

All I know is Boo beat Jeffries the last two time they meet, and I would like to be a National Champion before a State Champion. But If I was a National Champion and didn't win state that year I would think that the competition in state was tougher than that National Tournament that I won. I would feel bad both ways because I would of wanted to win both! If you are offended about me saying Boo is better than Jeffries I'm sorry but that is how I feel. This is a OSU board and if Jeffries was a OSU recruit I would be pumping up him. Because he is a Oklahoma wrestler is also why I post on this thread about him winning.

Yes he is and also a Oklahoma wrestler. My facts are wrong about Boo beating him the last 2 times, it has been the last 4 times.
Maybe it's not a fact that you stated is wrong as much as your opinion about which event is tougher, OK 6A state or 2014 Ironman. At Ironman, 5 out of the 8 placers are/were nationally ranked. You also can't say that since DJ won the tournament, Boo would've too because of their h2h matches or common opponents, that would be a weak argument. Besides, common opponent between the 2, i'm sure DJ would lead in that field (points earned vs points given) There are at least 2 wrestlers that DJ beat that Boo lost too. In all fairness, DJ did lose to Krivus the first time around. At Flo Nationals, Boo did place one spot higher than DJ because of the h2h match for 5th place.

Boo has DJ's number, there's no debating that fact. That makes Boo the better h2h wrestler but not necessarily the better overall wrestler. Who is the better wrestler h2h, Boo. Who is the better overall wrestler, check body of work.

Here, Boo has beaten Jeffries 4 times, I don't remember any of them him controlling the match; Cause if he could control him he wouldn't allow him to score. Like Jeffries did Krivus. In the last four meetings he has only lost to Boo less than ten points total I had to look that up.. If that is controlling then I guess he did; Who has a better national record? In college isn't it National? BTW, Jeffries faced six out of the top 11 guys this year and only lost to one; Not bad...Any way they are Both great wrestlers... I wish both young men the best of luck

if you actually saw the matches you would see that boo did more than just control the matches. the two matches from last year were completely different from the two matches this year. the first time they met boo beat him 9-4... he controlled the whole match. about a month later he wrestled him at flo nationals and it was a little closer 3-2. this year two weight classes up the first time they met at regionals boo controlled the whole match with two td's and a 2pt turn. ( if riding time was in high school he would have had a point with well over min riding) boo gave up a last second td because he had it won and stopped attacking.. at state boo controlled the match with his mat awareness and mat riding ability and came away with a 9-5 victory. state was the first time davion really got to boo for a score but after that boo still dominated that match. your comment about giving up a point isn't necessarily true. alex diringer gave up a td to a kid from wyoming but he still controlled and dominated the match. he also beat sulzar from virginia at allstars by a low scoring match but most of us would say he controlled the match. boo controlled each match with davion and didn't come close to getting beat; even in the 3-2 match. davion is a good wrestler and has faced better comp as of recent but i believe boo is the better wrestler. he is far better this year than last year and proved it by dominating on the mat where davion was suppose to be better. i don't think davion had more than 10 seconds of riding time either time they wrestled but he did ride out kirvus.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT