ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hodge Trophy

Poel_Jeer

Redshirt
Nov 9, 2015
I think Dieringer is a shoe in this year, but some say Gwiz has a shot. IMO, even if both finish out the year undefeated, I think it should go to Dieringer. Do I have blinders on, of course.

Last edited:
I think Dieringer is a shoe in this year, but some say Gwiz has a shot. IMO, even if both finish out the year undefeated, I think it should go to Dieringer. Do I have blinders on, of course.
I saw more than one post on another board that "Dierenger's hopes for the Dan Hodge trophy went by the way side with his close win over the Missouri wrestler". I do not for a moment, believe that and many of Gwiz's wins are close. I believe it is Dierenger's award to lose and I do not think that will happen.

Reactions: LANDONAMBERSOCCER
I saw more than one post on another board that "Dierenger's hopes for the Dan Hodge trophy went by the way side with his close win over the Missouri wrestler". I do not for a moment, believe that and many of Gwiz's wins are close. I believe it is Dierenger's award to lose and I do not think that will happen.
Poel, believe me this is not a criticism but as an old English prof of mine at OK State said in his class, spellings and derivations of words are not incorrect but are mainly perceptions based on either a regional difference or a different interpretation .Shoe-in is a term we all use but the more proper spelling is shoo-in as in urge or shoo in a horse in a race or a certain winner in a political race. Constant usage of "shoe-in" however makes it just about as correct according to my old professor. To make the point ad nauseum, what do you call a line stretched over a body of water with hooks dangling down? If you answered either trot line or troutline you would be correct. The word derives from "trotting down the line to pull off fish or replace bait but since it has to do with fish many people have inadvertently changed the spelling to troutline although you certainly do not catch trout in this manner.
But I digress..........

Last edited:
How about Outstanding Wrestler at Nationals? I think it has been ages since we had one. Would be nice for AD to break the drought.

Reactions: oberebo
From a pure overall in season resume, Nolf and Retherford have better resumes and an argument can be made that Gwiz does to.

What AD has going for him is he is going for a 3 peat, should have that incredible winning streak and will be espn's unquestionable star heading into nationals.

Reactions: oberebo
From a pure overall in season resume, Nolf and Retherford have better resumes and an argument can be made that Gwiz does to.

What AD has going for him is he is going for a 3 peat, should have that incredible winning streak and will be espn's unquestionable star heading into nationals.
When Ringer finishes up his career with 3 National championships and one third place finish and has only four losses in his career he will be hard to beat for OW.

Reactions: osu2082
It is kind of amazing we won four in a row, had the stars we did and not one took home outstanding wrestler.

Reactions: smalls103
What was even worse, during our 2006 championships in OKC at the Ford Center hosted by UO, Coach of the year went to Jack Spatez. It was definitely a no brainer it should of been John for winning four in a row and coming in as the no.2 overall team.

2006 was an epic finals matchup between Churella and Hendricks, with Johnny getting a last second takedown to win 9-8 for his second title

2006 was an epic finals matchup between Churella and Hendricks, with Johnny getting a last second takedown to win 9-8 for his second title

And then we got to spend the next 6 months watching the other fan bases dissect screen shots from the match like it was the Zapruder film.

Reactions: osu2082 and tfpoke
So, if I found the right info, Steve Mocco is our only Hodge winner in 2005, last OW at NCAA was Pat Smith in 1994, and last Gorriaran winner was Jerry Kelly in 1981(Ted Ellis won in 1959 and 1961).

Other OSU OW's (according to Wikipedia) are:

Alan Kelley -1933
Ross Flood - 1935
Stanley Hensen - 1937
Joe McDaniels - 1938
Al Whitehurst - 1941
David Arndt - 1942
Charles Hetrick - 1949
Yojiro Uetake - 1965 & 1966
Dwayne Keller - 1968
Darrell Keller - 1971
Mike Sheets - 1983
John Smith - 1987
Chris Barnes - 1990

Greg Jones for Chris.

Can't believe I forgot that, I was there and have a funny memory about Greg Jones.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT