ADVERTISEMENT

Cowboys vs Mizzou

I can't believe my eyes. Did Smith not care about the Dual??? What was Daton doing?? The only thing that mattered was the pin??

Reactions: okcpokefan12
Guess we were going to lose on criteria regardless??

Why go down? Makes no sense. We don't want a TF, correct?
Bc most pins in college come from transition wrestling, when you are moving from neutral to top or bottom to top. Most DI kids can stall... except the OSU 125 today.

Mizzou bench was calling for stalling against their own wrestler so he would lose by tech and allow them to win the dual. Embarrassing.

We are no longer a top 2 threat nationally.we are more 5-10.

Also Harris is Senior and no worse than Surber and showed success at nationals.OSU wresting has lost its dominance.PERIOD

If that 125 pounder is the best backup we have we need to join UCO’s conference.

I’m ready for Harris back at heavy. Surber is not the answer and he hasn’t been for a month. I can’t believe that we don’t have anyone better than Plott. He is a one trick pony who has zero balance while giving up his legs. Plott wins his match, we win the duel.

Reactions: OAMC99
If our HWT and 125 would have laid there the entire match we would have won the dual. When you are down some points then you have to wrestle smart as a team.

Bc most pins in college come from transition wrestling, when you are moving from neutral to top or bottom to top. Most DI kids can stall... except the OSU 125 today.
But what was the result here? Take top more time to work for pin, let him up if need then less point differential thus more time to work for pin. If can't do the math get a volunteer to keep track for you. :(

Reactions: jon_osu
Plott and Surber cost us that win. No reason plott should of lost to that kid. That was a 6pt swing. And I can’t even explain Surber. I’m starting to think he just isn’t made to be a HWT. I don’t like to point the blame but what’s gone on these last 2 weeks is beyond frustrating. G, CY and Wittlake I thought looked good. Geer and Daton were themselves and Sheets got away with one doing the bare minimum.

Reactions: DPJ and OAMC99
I’m ready for Harris back at heavy. Surber is not the answer and he hasn’t been for a month. I can’t believe that we don’t have anyone better than Plott. He is a one trick pony who has zero balance while giving up his legs. Plott wins his match, we win the duel.
Agree on Plott.

Plott and Surber cost us that win. No reason plott should of lost to that kid. That was a 6pt swing. And I can’t even explain Surber. I’m starting to think he just isn’t made to be a HWT. I don’t like to point the blame but what’s gone on these last 2 weeks is beyond frustrating. G, CY and Wittlake I thought looked good. Geer and Daton were themselves and Sheets got away with one doing the bare minimum.
Pretty good summary.

Surber almost/mightve pinned him but that ref wasn't even going to look at it.

If our HWT and 125 would have laid there the entire match we would have won the dual. When you are down some points then you have to wrestle smart as a team.
The 125 attempted to, but he wasn't skilled enough or strong enough to stall.

But what was the result here? Take top more time to work for pin, let him up if need then less point differential thus more time to work for pin. If can't do the math get a volunteer to keep track for you. :(
Haha. Crank em over!

Surber, yikes!

Coaching has sucked today.
This dual and last week have caused me plenty of misery. We have wrestlers that find a way to lose and some how we lost this dual. Surber and Plott cost us 2 duals in the last 9 days. How will we ever win Nationals with wrestlers who choke left and right. Coach Smith sent that 1 kid out as a sacrificial lamb. The worst though is Dustin Plott who is suppose to be 1 of our stars and in big matches he finds a way to lose. With Surber you can lose but you can't get pinned. I have nothing good to say except G got the pin, and we are pitiful which includes the job our coaches have done in the last 2 weeks.

Reactions: OAMC99 and Okie_Pat
This dual and last week have caused me plenty of misery. We have wrestlers that find a way to lose and some how we lost this dual. Surber and Plott cost us 2 duals in the last 9 days. How will we ever win Nationals with wrestlers who choke left and right. Coach Smith sent that 1 kid out as a sacrificial lamb. The worst though is Dustin Plott who is suppose to be 1 of our stars and in big matches he finds a way to lose. With Surber you can lose but you can't get pinned. I have nothing good to say except G got the pin, and we are pitiful which includes the job our coaches have done in the last 2 weeks.
Would you like to buy 2 tics to IA in Dallas? I'll sell em at face value/cost.

We are no longer a top 2 threat nationally.we are more 5-10.

Also Harris is Senior and no worse than Surber and showed success at nationals.OSU wresting has lost its dominance.PERIOD

If that 125 pounder is the best backup we have we need to join UCO’s conference.
Harris has to start moving forward. How can he be any worse than Surber??? Like you said - he's a senior who did well in nationals last year.

Criteria not in our favor. Everyone knew that. A fix pin does nothing toward winning the dual. The faster some of you figure out that not everything is going to go in our favor the better off you will be.

Tough day for some. But can't score against a good staller. It is really obvious the difference in Geers match, where MO kid did nothing but hold Geers hands, and Yokabitis who was just totally overpowered. Yoko got called for stalling, geers opponent didn't. Have to figure out how to get past that.

For all the negative nellies (We aReNt WatCHing AnY MorE), thats fine-just don't bother posting either.

Harris has to start moving forward. How can he be any worse than Surber??? Like you said - he's a senior who did well in nationals last year.
Apparently they had a ranking match on Friday before the dual and according to coach smith it was very close. At this point I think you have to give Harris his shot even if Surber is beating him in the room.

John was a good coach when his name broughtgood wrestlers to OSU that didn’t need to be coached. His name doesn’t do it anymore and I don’t see the coaching

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Criteria not in our favor. Everyone knew that. A fix pin does nothing toward winning the dual. The faster some of you figure out that not everything is going to go in our favor the better off you will be.

Tough day for some. But can't score against a good staller. It is really obvious the difference in Geers match, where MO kid did nothing but hold Geers hands, and Yokabitis who was just totally overpowered. Yoko got called for stalling, geers opponent didn't. Have to figure out how to get past that.

For all the negative nellies (We aReNt WatCHing AnY MorE), thats fine-just don't bother posting either.
I agree I think people are overreacting. We were down two starters today. One of which is AJ Ferrari who a guaranteed win and then we were rolling with our 3rd/4th string 125 lber. If Witcraft is out there today then he doesn’t get pinned and we win.

Reactions: turfpoke
I agree I think people are overreacting. We were down two starters today. One of which is AJ Ferrari who a guaranteed win and then we were rolling with our 3rd/4th string 125 lber. If Witcraft is out there today then he doesn’t get pinned and we win.
This is all true but we still should have easily won this dual. No one likes losing. For OSU wrestling it's unacceptable. And extremely frustrating!

I don't want to go with Harris. He might wrestle smarter than Surber but he has no future. Surber at least has potential down the road. I also can not believe Plott at the edge of the mat with a ref that wants Missouri to win turns to his left out of bounds instead of going to his right where he could have gotten to the center of the mat. It appears to me we have fallen into a black hole and nothing makes sense anymore

After several years of this kind of wrestling it is not over reacting.

Reactions: lincolnhs
We need a few of the guys who’ve been in the room a few years to make significant level jumps if we’re going to win another national title. I’m looking at everyone but Fix and AJ who were contenders the day they stepped on campus. Simply need more improvement or to sign more elite guys. Sounds pretty simple…huh.

This is all true but we still should have easily won this dual. No one likes losing. For OSU wrestling it's unacceptable. And extremely frustrating!
I don't think you know what you are watching. Here's something to think about: Joe Smith was a position away from beating Nolf the first time they wrestled. G was a position or two away from Lee the first time they wrestled (I know G pinned him; but, he caught Lee -- who was winning at the time -- in transition). Perry beat Ruth in hs. Etc

This is just one dual loss, so it's not the end of the world. Plus we were down a couple of starters today. But why not let people vent their frustrations?

One thing that seems pretty clear from the past couple of weeks is that there are some disgruntled fans out there that don't seem to post much anymore. I've said this before, but maybe if this fan base was more vocal about its dissatisfaction then we wouldn't be in the middle of a 15 year title drought.

I said it 3-4 weeks ago.A team not named Iowa or PSU will win a national title before we do.

We have had several top recruiting classes lately but I wonder if those guys were a little overrated? 3 dual losses so far this year on a weak schedule.Not to mention the beat down in Arlington.

I don't want to go with Harris. He might wrestle smarter than Surber but he has no future. Surber at least has potential down the road. I also can not believe Plott at the edge of the mat with a ref that wants Missouri to win turns to his left out of bounds instead of going to his right where he could have gotten to the center of the mat. It appears to me we have fallen into a black hole and nothing makes sense anymore
Where exactly are you seeing "potential" from Surber? He's awful currently. In order to win the national championship you need All-American contenders at every weight EARLY. We can't wait for him to be "pretty good" by his junior season. We have to recruit over him right now. He's not the answer. Now or in the future. His ceiling appears to be National qualifier. If we're not contending this year I'd like to win more duals. I've seen nothing from him that makes me think "he's taking his lumps now but will be really good in the future." What am I missing?

Reactions: Okie_Pat
I said it 3-4 weeks ago.A team not named Iowa or PSU will win a national title before we do.

We have had several top recruiting classes lately but I wonder if those guys were a little overrated? 3 dual losses so far this year on a weak schedule.Not to mention the beat down in Arlington.
Outside of Fix and AJ we have one guy ranked in the top 8 at any weight….and that’s Mastro at #8. Not going to compete for a ship like this.

We need a few of the guys who’ve been in the room a few years to make significant level jumps if we’re going to win another national title. I’m looking at everyone but Fix and AJ who were contenders the day they stepped on campus. Simply need more improvement or to sign more elite guys. Sounds pretty simple…huh.
Why would we all of a sudden make those kinds of level jumps?? I realize you were just hoping!! Me too!

But it ain't happening as long as this system is in place. And this system is John Smith's system. John would not and should not be fired but he most certainly, in my opinion, needs to retire.

The sport is passing him by and he has no interest in doing anything different to match that change.

I feel bad for the wrestlers, especially AJ and Daton. Again, my opinion is that they (we) won't ever experience a team championship under Coach Smith.

I would love to be wrong. In fact ecstatic!!

Our whole program is stale, boring, stagnant....Big change is needed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT