ADVERTISEMENT

Coleman Scott

I think you aren’t getting the correct information on this one.

Really good move by our AD and John. Coleman is a guy who is all in on the RTC and NIL setup and has been very successful at a program with little history. Young and energetic and will relate well to the new generation of wrestlers.

Pat Pop to much like the current setup. Extremely strict honor and moral code type of guy that I don’t think would play well here and the changing landscape of college athletics (IMO).
Some of these comments are ridiculous. Colman Scott has been in the top 20 how many times in eight years are we going to consider that very successful 1-2 time maybe let’s wait till John moves on for we start comparing candidates

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Some of these comments are ridiculous. Colman Scott has been in the top 20 how many times in eight years are we going to consider that very successful 1-2 time maybe let’s wait till John moves on for we start comparing candidates

Scott is an extremely well thought of young coach who has elevated that program and done well.

He checks a bunch of boxes as a strong candidate for us or any big time program.

Reactions: JAY45
UNC has been top 20 the last 5 seasons. O'Connor was obviously a star, but they also had a finalist in Clarke in '22, plus several other AAs recently. Feels like a program that has been trending up.

Willie mentioned something on the podcast yesterday -- good news if true. He said Coleman is similar to Rob Koll. Very CEO like, not a micromanager. He delegates responsibility to his assistants, stuff like recruiting & structuring practice. Coleman focuses on the big picture like fundraising. That could be a plus if he ends up head coach.

I know I will regret weighing in, but here goes.
- I wonder if they will bring CS for a couple of years as an assistant to keep the recruiting classes and then transition him to head
- I think CS is a pretty good hire. Not always does talent and pedigree equal success, but he has had decent success at a lesser pedigreed program and I hope it will translate to OSU
- PP is a known quantity, as a good coach, but he won’t leave NCState. Maybe early on, but he has his legacy there

I will be absolutely floored if Coleman doesn't get the HCIW designation. I can't fathom a world where he would come for anything less based on what he's built at UNC and this is a huge win for us by creating a pathway for John to call his his exit, while simultaneously starting the next phase of Cowboy wrestling and avoiding any uncertainly related to a future coach.

I guess I look at Penn State as LIGHT YEARS ahead of us in almost every facet and that this hire signals we are finally ready to play the modern game. I honestly can't think of one negative thing about this potential scenario and is exactly what I was hoping would happen this off-season.

Tell these people. John ain't going no where, no time soon.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
This is the difference between Coleman and Pop as I see it(some of these numbers may be off a little but they're close and give the general idea);

High School:
Coleman Scott (Pennsylvania):
2001 – 5th
2002 – State Champion
2002 – Powerade Champion
2002 – Iron Man Champion
2003 – State champion
2003 – Powerade Champion
2003 – Beast of the East Champion
2004 – State Champion
2004 – State Outstanding Wrestler
2004 – Powerade Champion
2004 – Wade Shalles Pin Award winner
2004 – Dapper Dan Outstanding Wrestler Award
2004 – US Dream Team Outstanding Wrestler Award
2004 – David Shultz National Excellence Award winner
2004 – National High School Wrestler of the Year
Record – 156-12
2004 – #1 Recruit – 125lb

Pat Popolizio (New York):
1995 – State Runner up
1996 – State Champion
1996 – State Outstanding Wrestler
Record – unknown
1996 – #8 Recruit – 171lb

NCAA:
Coleman Scott
Year – Seed – AA (pts) – Team place
2005 – 9th – 8th – 1st
2006 – 6th – 5th – 1st
2007 – 4th – 2nd – 5th
2008 – 3rd – 1st – 3th
Record – 120-24

Pat Popolizio:
Year – Seed – AA (pts) – Team place
1997 - unseeded – zero – 2nd
1998 - unseeded – 1pt – 3rd
2002 – 9th – 1.5pts – 5th
Record – unknown

International:
Coleman Scott
2010 – Pan Am Games – Bronze
2012 – London Olympics – Bronze
2015 – World Cup - Silver
2016 – Pan Am Games – Gold

Pat Popolizio:
crickets

Coaching:
North Carolina (2015-2023) 48 qualifiers, 13 AA’s, 2 NC’s
2016 – 7-1
2017 – 5-0
2018 – 8-2
2019 – 8-2
2020 – covid
2021 – 8-2-1
2022 – 6-3
2023 – 6-3-1

Pat Popolizio:
Binghamton University (2006-2012) – 15 qualifiers, 2 AA’s
NC State (2013-2023) – 30 qualifiers, 7 AA’s

Except for coaching, it's not even close. When judgin a man's credentials to be a Head Coach you've got to look at the whole package and Coleman brings much, much more to the table than Pop.
There is a lot of interesting reading here despite any questions of accuracy. Thanks for taking the time. The only thing I think has to be clarified is Pop has had 24 AA in his 10 seasons at NCSt. Just the Hidleys have 9 AA with Trent having a shot at one more. Thanks to covid we are seeing the first 5x AAs and both Hidleys have a chance at it. The 24 includes 2020 which I believe top 8 seeds were universally recognized as AA that year. NCSt had 2 that year. UNC has had 14 AA during Scott's tenure if you count 2020. In the 10 years prior to Pop's 10 years, NCSt had 3 AA. Safe to say that both of these OSU alumni have had a huge and positive impact on these programs. A week ago, I would have thought either of them or Branch, Pendleton, etc leaving head jobs in good standing to come back as an assistant under any circumstances would have been a pipe dream. I think Coleman will have a great impact on the program in the short term and the long term if that plays out.

Reactions: osu2082
I would say no matter what all the speculation is, it is just good that he came in after Espo left. A very good pick up, that is probably going to bring in some good recruits, and make a positive impact in the wrestling room.

There’s no question it’s a great move with the replacement of Espo, but if he is going to be the HC in a couple of years is something to be discussed and questioned. I don’t want to think that is the case because a program with such rich history should want to open the coaching search aggressively and not just be content with staying in the family tree and promoting from within. But I like the things Coleman had done so far and who knows he may end up being the answer we’ve been looking for.

I like the move and could this move open doors, in Pennsylvania.
I just watched and listened to an interview this year at Nationals. Coleman indicated that Tulsa wasn't like being home but Stillwater or Oklahoma City would be. His wife is from Oklahoma City and her parents live there. He also indicated that he had been at the Pennsylvania state championships this year and knew lots of people there.

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Great info, but this is funny in a thread talking about bringing in a new coach.
Not sure about your question. The talk here is that Coleman would only come here as AC unless he was the Head Coach "in waiting" and a few people have mentioned Popolizio as an option and even as the first choice of some. I was pointing out why I though that Popolizio's credentials don't compare well with Coleman's.

BTW, I did mention this was probably not completely acurate as I just quickly pulled it from what I could fine in the internet but with Coleman's stats removed from NC's web site and part of WrestlingStats not working it was hard.

Last edited:
Not sure about your question. The talk here is that Coleman would only come here as AC unless he was the Head Coach "in waiting" and a few people have mentioned Popolizio as an option and even as the first choice of some. I was pointing out why I though that Popolizio's credentials don't compare well with Coleman's.
He’s saying that his accomplishments on the mat don’t factor into his ability to coach and run a program. Since you put their HS/College/pro stats together.

I guess I just presumed John would remain coach while Sam was there. These changes sure ratchet up the anticipation for the season to begin.

This is the problem with outside fans. If you’re talking about a head coach, once John has moved on, you cannot even compare Coleman Scott achievements to Pat Popolizio. Pat Popolizio has a long-term contract at North Carolina State. Let’s remember Coleman Scott is coming in to be an assistant coach. We’re not looking for a head coach at this time.
I'm not sure what an outside fan is, I've had wrestling season tickets since 1978. As to my number posts on this site; I've been a member since 2005 and I check it out every morning while I'm drinking my coffee. I just don't feel the need to respond to every thread with and an "yea" or "like he said" just to inflate my post counts. I respond when I have something to say. However, it is true that I know no one within the program and only one person who posts here regularly. I have spoken with Kenny Monday (twice), John Smith's mother and sister and had lunch with Mike Sheets Sr. (Mike's father).

I didn't say I thought Coleman was coming in to be head coach, others did. I also mentioned that Popolizio's head coaching credentials are better than Colman's but that is not all there is to consider. Do you think Smith was hired because of his coaching experience? (NCAA championships, World championships, Olympic championships).

The only Wrestling Coach that OSU has ever had that had previous college head coaching experience was Joe Seay; 'nuff said.

I’m sure it’s motivating to wrestle for Olympic medalists, good coaches that weren’t medalists, whatever. Just different sides of the coin. +1 to anticipation, let’s goooo baby! I’d love to be a fly on the wall in the practice room. Coleman, Guerrero, Caldwell, Zo, Smith, Perry, Heil, Harding, damn that is a hell of a staff. Espo leaves some big shoes to fill too. Is Chandler Rogers still helping out? I didn’t hear much about it past the announcement last year. Of course here is where I get most of my info lol

The good news on all of this is there seems to be some shakeup occurring on staff which was/is much needed.

Bringing a guy like Coleman on staff is a huge win. If it turns into him being the next HC (seems likely), he looks the part of a young up and coming HC with a strong resume and one who is all in on what the future of college wrestling and college athletics is going to be about.

I rarely post anymore so I guess I am an "outside poster" but whoever Blair2000 is he or she is plugged in to the program in a major way and you can read that as one of the assistant coaches. He does not want to be named and like everyone else I originally thought it was Esposito
(he was wrestling for Blair in 2000. Around that same time Mark Perry Jr. was wrestling for Blair but doubtful he would be posting but one of his parents could be. He could be the new/old hire Eric Guerrero who has the directness to challenge posters on this board. I believe we all know how John would feel about it and it would not be favorable. I also believe on the
hiring of Coleman Scott which everyone assumes is a done deal, there has been no official announcement on any such hiring. North Carolina says he has resigned. It was posted on this board that "USA Wrestling has announced it which is all well and good but this organization is not connected to Oklahoma State.Blair 2000 whoever it is, in my opinion is "out of the loop" on this hire simply because it. would be ludicrous to think that Coleman Scott would leave North Carolina as head coach to accept a position her as simply an "assistant coach. Either this deal has fallen through(which I do not believe) or contract deals are still being
negotiated. Of course I am just a "poster" and thus can not know the intricacies surrounding this situation.
LETS GO POKES!!!

Yes, according to Seth the Coleman announcement should be tomorrow.

Seth has a podcast on Rokfin, a few highlights...

- he posted his article after Willie's podcast about the Zack/Coleman/Ramos situation.
- someone close to the team asked him to take it down (not a coach).
- The team didn't want it to seem like Coleman pushed Zack out. Zack's decision to join the OTC happened much earlier. Also, some people hadn't been informed of Coleman's planned hiring yet.
- Chris Pendleton was considered also, but Coleman was picked after a tough decision
- Announcement should be Monday. Coleman will likely be named associate head coach with a strong possibility he will be the head coach at some point. Not a guarantee, but very likely.

Heard about Coleman months ago. So Zach would have to have had the new job even longer. Blair2000 wouldn’t be happy if he’s who Oberebo thinks it could be.

I mentioned possibilities including Esposito,Guerrero, the Perry's but there are others including an old name-TOG or that one guy. Doesn't sound like Chris or Gary Wayne in my humble opinion but let's be honest here-I truly do not know. If I was a betting man I would bet on one of those.I am very happy with Coleman but my second first choice was Pendleton. I also should not say this as it sounds picky but I think you could throw out
Cathey Perry as she. spells and writes gooder.

Reactions: tom_v31
This has been in the works for a while. Going back to the National Championships at minimum (March).

It’s completely understandable that they want to do this the right way to preserve reputations & relationships as real human beings are involved.

I rarely post anymore so I guess I am an "outside poster" but whoever Blair2000 is he or she is plugged in to the program in a major way and you can read that as one of the assistant coaches. He does not want to be named and like everyone else I originally thought it was Esposito
(he was wrestling for Blair in 2000. Around that same time Mark Perry Jr. was wrestling for Blair but doubtful he would be posting but one of his parents could be. He could be the new/old hire Eric Guerrero who has the directness to challenge posters on this board. I believe we all know how John would feel about it and it would not be favorable. I also believe on the
hiring of Coleman Scott which everyone assumes is a done deal, there has been no official announcement on any such hiring. North Carolina says he has resigned. It was posted on this board that "USA Wrestling has announced it which is all well and good but this organization is not connected to Oklahoma State.Blair 2000 whoever it is, in my opinion is "out of the loop" on this hire simply because it. would be ludicrous to think that Coleman Scott would leave North Carolina as head coach to accept a position her as simply an "assistant coach. Either this deal has fallen through(which I do not believe) or contract deals are still being
negotiated. Of course I am just a "poster" and thus can not know the intricacies surrounding this situation.
LETS GO POKES!!!
Well said oberebo, and thank you.

Reactions: oberebo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT