ADVERTISEMENT

Coleman Scott

PhantomPete1994

Recruit
Mar 24, 2023
Coleman Scott is replacing Esposito. Wow!

He deleted it probably because it wasn’t “confirmed”. In the article it said he would be the Head Coach in waiting.

Hopefully staff is on board with it. I could see current assistant coaches being salty about Scott getting HC spot. Not because they're salty people, but it is a coveted position for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
Seems like Coleman is coming in to eventually replace JS sometime in the nearer future. My question is if this is the case was Coleman our best option for a future HC job or was it a situation where JS isn't retiring just yet so you cant hiring anyone directly for the head coaching position. It would be difficult to hire someone that is a proven HC at the college level without the immediate hire as a head coach. There seems to be some insurance with bringing Coleman in as assistant where you have a guy ready when the time comes. Hopefully what I'm saying makes some sense. I'm just wondering if he was the best option or the only option under the current situation. It seems like more of a convenience rather than a process. In other words, if we waited for a JS retirement would we of been able to get someone better.

Seems like Coleman is coming in to eventually replace JS sometime in the nearer future. My question is if this is the case was Coleman our best option for a future HC job or was it a situation where JS isn't retiring just yet so you cant hiring anyone directly for the head coaching position. It would be difficult to hire someone that is a proven HC at the college level without the immediate hire as a head coach. There seems to be some insurance with bringing Coleman in as assistant where you have a guy ready when the time comes. Hopefully what I'm saying makes some sense. I'm just wondering if he was the best option or the only option under the current situation. It seems like more of a convenience rather than a process. In other words, if we waited for a JS retirement would we of been able to get someone better.
Correct. This makes no sense except that its a bit of a play from John. Gives him some legs for a number of years.

Because honestly? It needs to be Pat Pop. But john knows he would burn the thing to the ground and start over.

So Coleman is what I’m assuming likely taking a pay cut and leaving a HC position at solid DI program to come be the assistant HC with no promise of near future promotion?
Calling BS. There is no way a successful Head Coach at a solid program (that he built up) steps down to take an assistant job without a guarantee. He will be the next Head Coach when John steps down.

Believe what you want…

So Coleman is what I’m assuming likely taking a pay cut and leaving a HC position at solid DI program to come be the assistant HC with no promise of near future promotion?
I don't know, but it is possible he is not taking a pay cut. According to a post on Intermat, he made $170k as a head coach in 2022 while John Smith made $562k. It is reasonable the Associate HC would make $170k at OSU.

Another observation worth mentioning, he has had 14 all-americans in his 8 seasons at UNC. I don't recall hearing of any great recruiting classes although they did land at least one blue chipper in Austin O'Connor. That tells me he develops wrestlers well. For comparison, UNC had 3 AA in the eight years prior to Coleman arriving and 3 more AA in the eight years prior to that. UNC had 8 AA in the 20 years prior to Coleman's arrival. He has definitely upgraded the program.

The big question is who is Coleman bringing with him? Both Cael & Tom got their first team NC with the double recruit plan by bring guys with them to the new job.

Reactions: tom_v31
Calling BS. There is no way a successful Head Coach at a solid program (that he built up) steps down to take an assistant job without a guarantee. He will be the next Head Coach when John steps down.

Believe what you want…
Who cares why or how having someone that has been successful raising money for RTC and head coaching experience on the coaching staff is awesome . With Guerrero , Coach Smith and Colman Scott all Olympic medalists on the coaching staff. I would put that against anyone in the nation .

I hope John Smith Coaches as long as he wants, any replacement will be a downgrade (With one possible Exception who is NOT leaving Penn State, and even he would find it harder in Oklahoma than in Pennsylvania.)
I do NOT mean that in a bad way To Coleman Scott or anyone else, but Come on, look at his credentials as a Wrestler (His Name alone gets top Recruits) As a Coach he has more NCAA Titles than anyone except Cael Sanderson.

A Lot of people will Argue this, But Has UCLA found a Replacement as successful as John Wooden in Basketball? It is not easy.

There will be no head-coaching waiting when John Smith retires. It will be opened up.

I think you aren’t getting the correct information on this one.

Really good move by our AD and John. Coleman is a guy who is all in on the RTC and NIL setup and has been very successful at a program with little history. Young and energetic and will relate well to the new generation of wrestlers.

Pat Pop to much like the current setup. Extremely strict honor and moral code type of guy that I don’t think would play well here and the changing landscape of college athletics (IMO).

I think you aren’t getting the correct information on this one.

Really good move by our AD and John. Coleman is a guy who is all in on the RTC and NIL setup and has been very successful at a program with little history. Young and energetic and will relate well to the new generation of wrestlers.

Pat Pop to much like the current setup. Extremely strict honor and moral code type of guy that I don’t think would play well here and the changing landscape of college athletics (IMO).
Pop's results say different. Would a single kid on the roster stay with those rules? Snope.

Carl is much the same way. Not as black and white - but there are punishments for guys going out.

I would like to think it’s a little bit of both. Name Coleman Associate Head Coach, giving him a huge leg up, but still open for interviews when the time comes. Would be bad business not to see who is interested and if it isn’t a major leg up, then CS can easily take the reins and have a shot. Whoever we go with next when the time comes shouldn’t be locked in to a lengthy expensive contract. Give them a couple years and see what they can do knowing it’s still THE job to have.

Reactions: KILLEVIDENT
This is the difference between Coleman and Pop as I see it(some of these numbers may be off a little but they're close and give the general idea);

High School:
Coleman Scott (Pennsylvania):
2001 – 5th
2002 – State Champion
2002 – Powerade Champion
2002 – Iron Man Champion
2003 – State champion
2003 – Powerade Champion
2003 – Beast of the East Champion
2004 – State Champion
2004 – State Outstanding Wrestler
2004 – Powerade Champion
2004 – Wade Shalles Pin Award winner
2004 – Dapper Dan Outstanding Wrestler Award
2004 – US Dream Team Outstanding Wrestler Award
2004 – David Shultz National Excellence Award winner
2004 – National High School Wrestler of the Year
Record – 156-12
2004 – #1 Recruit – 125lb

Pat Popolizio (New York):
1995 – State Runner up
1996 – State Champion
1996 – State Outstanding Wrestler
Record – unknown
1996 – #8 Recruit – 171lb

NCAA:
Coleman Scott
Year – Seed – AA (pts) – Team place
2005 – 9th – 8th – 1st
2006 – 6th – 5th – 1st
2007 – 4th – 2nd – 5th
2008 – 3rd – 1st – 3th
Record – 120-24

Pat Popolizio:
1997 - unseeded – zero – 2nd
1998 - unseeded – 1pt – 3rd
2002 – 9th – 1.5pts – 5th
Record – unknown

International:
Coleman Scott
2010 – Pan Am Games – Bronze
2012 – London Olympics – Bronze
2015 – World Cup - Silver
2016 – Pan Am Games – Gold

Pat Popolizio:
crickets

Coaching:
North Carolina (2015-2023) 48 qualifiers, 13 AA’s, 2 NC’s
2016 – 7-1
2017 – 5-0
2018 – 8-2
2019 – 8-2
2020 – covid
2021 – 8-2-1
2022 – 6-3
2023 – 6-3-1

Pat Popolizio:
Binghamton University (2006-2012) – 15 qualifiers, 2 AA’s
NC State (2013-2023) – 30 qualifiers, 7 AA’s

Except for coaching, it's not even close. When judgin a man's credentials to be a Head Coach you've got to look at the whole package and Coleman brings much, much more to the table than Pop.

Reactions: turfpoke
This is the difference between Coleman and Pop as I see it(some of these numbers may be off a little but they're close and give the general idea);

High School:
Coleman Scott (Pennsylvania):
2001 – 5th
2002 – State Champion
2002 – Powerade Champion
2002 – Iron Man Champion
2003 – State champion
2003 – Powerade Champion
2003 – Beast of the East Champion
2004 – State Champion
2004 – State Outstanding Wrestler
2004 – Powerade Champion
2004 – Wade Shalles Pin Award winner
2004 – Dapper Dan Outstanding Wrestler Award
2004 – US Dream Team Outstanding Wrestler Award
2004 – David Shultz National Excellence Award winner
2004 – National High School Wrestler of the Year
Record – 156-12
2004 – #1 Recruit – 125lb

Pat Popolizio (New York):
1995 – State Runner up
1996 – State Champion
1996 – State Outstanding Wrestler
Record – unknown
1996 – #8 Recruit – 171lb

NCAA:
Coleman Scott
2005 – 9th – 8th – 1st
2006 – 6th – 5th – 1st
2007 – 4th – 2nd – 5th
2008 – 3rd – 1st – 3th
Record – 120-24

Pat Popolizio:
1997 - unseeded – zero – 2nd
1998 - unseeded – 1pt – 3rd
2002 – 9th – 1.5pts – 5th
Record – unknown

International:
Coleman Scott
2010 – Pan Am Games – Bronze
2012 – London Olympics – Bronze
2015 – World Cup - Silver
2016 – Pan Am Games – Gold

Pat Popolizio:
crickets

Coaching:
North Carolina (2015-2023) 48 qualifiers, 13 AA’s, 2 NC’s
2016 – 7-1
2017 – 5-0
2018 – 8-2
2019 – 8-2
2020 – covid
2021 – 8-2-1
2022 – 6-3
2023 – 6-3-1

Pat Popolizio:
Binghamton University (2006-2012) – 15 qualifiers, 2 AA’s
NC State (2013-2023) – 30 qualifiers, 7 AA’s

Except for coaching, it's not even close. When judgin a man's credentials to be a Head Coach you've got to look at the whole package and Coleman brings much, much more to the table than Pop.
This is the problem with outside fans. If you’re talking about a head coach, once John has moved on, you cannot even compare Coleman Scott achievements to Pat Popolizio. Pat Popolizio has a long-term contract at North Carolina State. Let’s remember Coleman Scott is coming in to be an assistant coach. We’re not looking for a head coach at this time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT