ADVERTISEMENT

Coleman interview

AtownPoke

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2006
Altus
We’ve all heard about how hard he was taking it, but I do hate to see how betrayed he feels from the community. It’ll probably be a very tough listen.

I hope Coleman gets the answers he is looking for. His reaction here is one of an innocent person. Him planning to file a lawsuit (which would open things up to discovery) speaks volumes.

OSU people do truly love CS. The fact that he may carry this and ostracize himself from the OSU family is extremely unfortunate. I’d always heard this info came from the UNC side during the process so I honestly hope that’s true if he’s able to get answers.

OSU people do truly love CS. The fact that he may carry this and ostracize himself from the OSU family is extremely unfortunate. I’d always heard this info came from the UNC side during the process so I honestly hope that’s true if he’s able to get answers.
I've seen the "financial misdoing" talk on Intermat and Facebook. Not much here. The "Community" he's referring to is the online wrestling message board community as a whole, I think.

Reactions: AtownPoke
I've seen the "financial misdoing" talk on Intermat and Facebook. Not much here. The "Community" he's referring to is the online wrestling message board community as a whole, I think.
I hope but it only got on the boards because of talk in the wrestling community at large. This wasn’t something made up on the boards. It was stuff being passed along by people with connections and then it made it to the boards. And as I said earlier, it was always said to have come from UNCs side during the process and then even more so through their boosters and such since then. No telling how these things start.

Reactions: vhsalum
Teasers obviously often take things out of context. This was a very well done one since it left everyone wondering what he's talking about on all of those clips.

The guy who called him is definitely something everyone wants to figure out. Tom Ryan is a good guess definitely.

Reactions: bwel9339
Does he believe it hurt his chances at the HC job?
If I were CS I'd want to think so, but if I'm a dispassionate person looking at it from the outside, DT was the better choice all along. If I were advising CS and knew that he'd been wronged, I'd focus on UNC and accept the fact that DT was someone the Admin wanted over him. Had nothing to do with the rumors, and impossible to prove anyway.

I understand dirty dealings goes on in business decisions all the time but the statement below simply does not pass the smell test to me:

Oklahoma State decides to go another direction for their HC hire after one of their own made significant life changes (quit a very good job and moved his family) expecting to get it. Rather than just be upfront with obvious reasons why (chance to hire a game changer), they decide to harm his reputation and kick him when he's down to justify why they did it

EDIT: This is NOT a real quote, it's what some are alleging happened (and maybe what is going on in Coleman's mind) and I'm saying it makes 0 sense.

Last edited:
I understand dirty dealings goes on in business decisions all the time but the statement below simply does not pass the smell test to me:

"Oklahoma State decides to go another direction for their HC hire after one of their own made significant life changes (quit a very good job and moved his family) expecting to get it. Rather than just be upfront with obvious reasons why (chance to hire a game changer), they decide to harm his reputation and kick him when he's down to justify why they did it"
who wrote that?

"Oklahoma State decides to go another direction for their HC hire after one of their own made significant life changes (quit a very good job and moved his family) expecting to get it. Rather than just be upfront with obvious reasons why (chance to hire a game changer), they decide to harm his reputation and kick him when he's down to justify why they did it"
Where did that statement come from? Or are you just surmising?

College sports is a business. People can not take the business aspect of it personal. Oklahoma State made a business decision to change the stale culture that this team has become. And they brought in the best person to do it. It was time for change!

College sports is a business. People can not take the business aspect of it personal. Oklahoma State made a business decision to change the stale culture that this team has become. And they brought in the best person to do it. It was time for change!
I’m not sure that’s Coleman’s issue. It’s sounds like he was hit with these questions in the interview and he fully believes that he was smeared.

It really is a bad bad situation. CS is one of the good guys and even if it didn’t derive from OSU people, we’re going to collateral damage. A guy like CS having his love for wrestling crushed is nothing for anyone to be happy about.

I would add that changing the direction of a team and culture by hiring from outside is the harder choice for an Administration, and they are to be commended for it and not vilified in any way. I know they had financial help in making the final decision but it makes perfect sense if you strip away fan loyalty.

I would add that changing the direction of a team and culture by hiring from outside is the harder choice for an Administration, and they are to be commended for it and not vilified in any way. I know they had financial help in making the final decision but it makes perfect sense if you strip away fan loyalty.
I’ve said this from the beginning even though it brings me no pleasure. CS has a high floor but DTs ceiling is out of this world.

I’ve said this from the beginning even though it brings me no pleasure. CS has a high floor but DTs ceiling is out of this world.
Agree, and I said that many times on the Iowa forum right after nationals with regard to DT, but if you look past his lack of direct college coaching experience, you see a guy with 15-20 of experience at the very highest levels of the sport, an entrepreneur, and an owner of a high end club. I never saw him as having a ton of weaknesses other than possibly negotiating with boosters and admin over needs, but if you have a vision that people can believe in, someone will fund it.

Ohio RTC sounds like he just needs something to do right now and he's more doing it because him Logan and J Jaggers have a relationship deeper than wrestling. I hope he rediscovers his love for wrestling there but he sounded adamant he is done with wrestling right now but I hope it's just an emotional response still.

Ohio RTC sounds like he just needs something to do right now and he's more doing it because him Logan and J Jaggers have a relationship deeper than wrestling. I hope he rediscovers his love for wrestling there but he sounded adamant he is done with wrestling right now but I hope it's just an emotional response still.
I believe that the rumors were not from OK State but originated in North Carolina and that is why Coleman ended up here in the first place. In other words Coleman wanted to leave North Carolina and reached out to John due to rumors about something that happened in North Carolina. The teaser from X is the problem as people are hearing bits and pieces from the interview and making wrong assumptions. At least that is my take of the situation.

I believe that the rumors were not from OK State but originated in North Carolina and that is why Coleman ended up here in the first place. In other words Coleman wanted to leave North Carolina and reached out to John due to rumors about something that happened in North Carolina. The teaser from X is the problem as people are hearing bits and pieces from the interview and making wrong assumptions. At least that is my take of the situation.
It’s out now if you want to listen

It 100% did not originate from Oklahoma State. There was no way the school would do that to him. I didn't consider he would be leaving UNC because the rumors were already swirling there.

It 100% did not originate from Oklahoma State. There was no way the school would do that to him. I didn't consider he would be leaving UNC because the rumors were already swirling there.

These are things that I know as facts. I, myself, was told by way of an uO booster and I blew it off as such. It came back around to me that there were some issues by way of an OSU person...they also believed it wasn't a huge deal. Whereas the uO guy was talking like hundreds of thousands of dollars.

These are things that I don't know to be fact, but believe them to be. CS was a pupil of JS and reached out to him often for multiple things...like a son would a father. JS knew of the issues and wasn't concerned about them. CW knew about the issues and wasn't really concerned about them. JS thought CS would do a good job with the Program and got him to leave NC...partly because it may have been coming into a toxic situation for CS and partly because JS was ready to retire.

I'm sorry I've read all this but what rumors are we talking about. Someone catch me up to speed. Clift notes please.

I'm sorry I've read all this but what rumors are we talking about. Someone catch me up to speed. Clift notes please.
UNC guys claimed that there were some inconsistencies with some of NIL money while he was there.

There were issues at UNC for Coleman and he was one of a few people offered the same opportunity at OSU. While one could consider his position as an on the job interview, there was no guarantee offerred to any that they would be the next head coach. Coleman did an outstanding job last year and it likely took the perfect storm for him not to get the job.

John had to retire, DT had to lose in olympic trials, a donor had to come forth with a lot of money and then CW had to convince DT we were committed. The odds of each of those individually were pretty small and together, infinitely less likely. Any of those things don't happen and it is very possible Coleman is the head coach. I feel bad for Coleman and has family, but the administration made the best choice for the future of Cowboy Wrestling. I hope Coleman is emensely successful throughout his career as he has been a great Cowboy.

I'm stunned everyone thinks Coleman Scott would have gotten the job if David Taylor wasn't available. A lot of blind loyalty going on here. Look at it this way - no coach with Coleman Scott's record at UNC would ever be considered for the OSU HC job. Ever. Scott's record at UNC was decent to pretty good at best. He was 75-49! Their best finish was what, 16th?!?

Yes he's a Cowboy legend and a great guy but you cannot replace John Smith with someone of that production level. Even last year everyone says he did a great job and obviously he helped but last year's OSU team sucked as well. Scott was not qualified to be the HC at OSU, period. We nailed the hiring with DT.

wow that was tough to watch. I’d always assumed it was just forum trolls talking about the $ thing but it sounds more like it was the IRL community. He mentioned being on committees and doing outreach. Dude feels pretty burned.

Thank you Coleman Scott for everything you have done for wrestling as a wrestler, coach and mentor to our youth. I was at first distressed for you when you did not get the job but that interview showed me that you have the character and moral strength to get on with your life and achieve great things for you and your family. You did everything right at Oklahoma State and have nothing to regret. I hope that in the future you will realize that the Cowboy community loves and appreciates your efforts. You will always be a Cowboy legend.

I'm stunned everyone thinks Coleman Scott would have gotten the job if David Taylor wasn't available. A lot of blind loyalty going on here. Look at it this way - no coach with Coleman Scott's record at UNC would ever be considered for the OSU HC job. Ever. Scott's record at UNC was decent to pretty good at best. He was 75-49! Their best finish was what, 16th?!?

Yes he's a Cowboy legend and a great guy but you cannot replace John Smith with someone of that production level. Even last year everyone says he did a great job and obviously he helped but last year's OSU team sucked as well. Scott was not qualified to be the HC at OSU, period. We nailed the hiring with DT.
I don’t disagree with your opinion with the DT hire, but I would disagree your Coleman Scott sentiments. North Carolina is not a hotbed for wrestling

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT