ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Dickey contract....Other assistants... What will Chad tell Gundy he can afford? Here is the cost to retool...

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma
All of this according to the research in the link provided, see lower page:

Dickey is 4th highest paid assistant at $600K a year. In the spring of 2022 he inked a 2 year deal. If this research is accurate, a buyout would be for one year and $600K. So, the question becomes, what is the appetite to take on a $600K buyout?

All of the staff was given 2 year deals in spring of 2022.

I guess you might have some Coaches leave on their own, Dunn and Mason would be the best candidates for this IMO in terms of connections in the industry and desirability. Dunn someone said gets WR coaching offers every year from the NFL.

Offense retool costs:

Cost of Phase I Buyout - Dickey - $600K

Cost of Phase 2 Buyout - Dickey & McEndoo - $1.025M

Cost of Phase 3 Buyout - Dickey, McEndoo, and Dunn: $2.125M

My guess is you throw in another $1.25M in perm annual cost in what it might take to attract really good coaches. Inflation is crazy in all areas, especially coaching salaries.

Defense retool costs:

Mason - $1.1M

My guess is you throw in another $600K in perm annual cost in what it might take to attract a really good DC.

So, everyone thinks Gundy is stubborn and will not make any changes. The real question becomes, what does the administration and donors have an appetite for?

IF Chad wants changes, the best way for him to go about it, is not to tell Gundy he has to make changes, but to sit him down and tell him just how big of a budget and donor appetite exists to do a retool if that is something an evaluation of the program requires at this time.

All in re-tool is $3.25M in buyouts, and $1.85M in additional annual salary and this would account for inflation and trying to be upper shelf.

Lower end re-tool is $600K buyout and probably $250K or so in additional salary.

You can mix and match from the info provided and come up with a budget.

So, what is realistic financially for OSU? Boy I heard it good we could not afford Knowles and budget, budget, budget!!!

And what if Gundy does want to make changes and Chad says we cannot afford it? We will never know because unlike Holder, Gundy will not bad mouth the administration in public, and Gundy will just take the hit silently from some of the fanbase.

So, before Gundy can do ANYTHING, the administration has to come up with the budget, funding if needed, and approval.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePoke and AC2020
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News