ADVERTISEMENT

Captain Marvel [March 8]

AC is a bit of a Marvel hater and DC fan boy. (Mea Culpa...I'm the polar opposite, and don't think DC has made a good movie yet, although I would call WW decent).

With that said, I'm not a fan of Brie Larson as CM. She just doesn't have enough gravitas for the role, IMO. I enjoyed the CM movie a lot, but would say that it clearly falls outside the Top 5 (and probably outside the Top 10) MCU movies. I still find the de-aging of Fury and Coulson to be an incredible feat.

p.s. Haven't seen Shazam yet, but hear good things about it.

I actually enjoyed Aquaman.

I have to say, I generally go into any of these movies looking for them to give me insight into the 'universe' they are depicting and to just be mindlessly entertained. Expecting much more from them is probably not realistic.

If they happen to hit one out of the park with an outstanding performance or an extremely well written screenplay, then that's just gravy.

I just don't like characters to be too powerful. Superman and CM fall into that. Superman could defeat any enemy within 5 seconds if he gave it his all, but they have to have him pu$$y foot around for an hour and a half so they can have a movie. CM is much the same way. She can fly through giant space ships, but people keep getting up after she hits them. Dumb

AC is a bit of a Marvel hater and DC fan boy. (Mea Culpa...I'm the polar opposite, and don't think DC has made a good movie yet, although I would call WW decent).

With that said, I'm not a fan of Brie Larson as CM. She just doesn't have enough gravitas for the role, IMO. I enjoyed the CM movie a lot, but would say that it clearly falls outside the Top 5 (and probably outside the Top 10) MCU movies. I still find the de-aging of Fury and Coulson to be an incredible feat.

p.s. Haven't seen Shazam yet, but hear good things about it.

Who said anything about top 5 or 10?

It could be the 19th best and still have room to be an entertaining film to me that I will watch multiple times.

I said it’s as good as CA. Not as good as Winter Soldier or Civil War.

I just don't like characters to be too powerful. Superman and CM fall into that. Superman could defeat any enemy within 5 seconds if he gave it his all, but they have to have him pu$$y foot around for an hour and a half so they can have a movie. CM is much the same way. She can fly through giant space ships, but people keep getting up after she hits them. Dumb

She’s not capable of all of that until after she removes the Kree inhibitor, and she doesn’t even really know she’s capable of it until she does it.

I suspect she’s still more powerful still. Perhaps nearly as powerful as the gauntlet containing the Space Stone (only) would make someone.

She has spent 15 minutes growing into her powers and then fought Thanos. I’m not sure we have problem here so much as a challenge for writers (that could become a problem).

Besides, why is that a problem for CM and the Boy Scout but not for Hulk, Thor or Wonder Woman (or Doctor Strange for that matter)?

Pump the brakes on the white men bashing there spoiler spiller. I liked it and am white while my wife who is a female disliked it. No need to start bringing race into this argument. Good grief

Hey, me too. And the next time I hear someone that isn’t as the negative critic on this movie maybe I’ll change my tune.

I know plenty of women that are uninterested in watching it and would certainly hate it, but they are the same ones that won’t watch Star Wars and thought Iron Man was just a song.

The women I know that like nerd movies loved this.

It is a problem.

Marvel obviously doesn't know what to do with her.

Let's have her take the Skrulls to find a new homeworld and spend 4 decades cruising around helping alien races, because the challenges facing Earth would quickly become trivial if she was hanging around.

Let's do something similar for a good portion of Endgame because she is too powerful.

Reactions: KCMOrange
It is a problem.

Marvel obviously doesn't know what to do with her.

Let's have her take the Skrulls to find a new homeworld and spend 4 decades cruising around helping alien races, because the challenges facing Earth would quickly become trivial if she was hanging around.

Let's do something similar for a good portion of Endgame because she is too powerful.

Spoilers for End Game follow. (@JonnyVito)

She’s not too powerful when a motivated Thanos is on screen.

They also managed to sidestep the question of what 100% Thor or Hulk (And Strange and Vision as well) could do against Thanos without the stones. It’s not a CM problem. It’s a comic book problem.

The real issue for her in End Game is it’s not a movie about her. It’s a movie about the Avengers, and even more specific about the three Avengers that have trilogy franchises already. She can’t be on screen with Steve Rogers anymore than Black Panther or Spider-Man can without taking away from his story. Ant-Man gets a nod here because he’s a prop. Rocket because he’s funny as hell. Nebula because she is intimately connected to Thanos. Everyone else in the MCU that is not an established Avenger is sidelined.

Hey, me too. And the next time I hear someone that isn’t as the negative critic on this movie maybe I’ll change my tune.

I know plenty of women that are uninterested in watching it and would certainly hate it, but they are the same ones that won’t watch Star Wars and thought Iron Man was just a song.

The women I know that like nerd movies loved this.
Well my wife loves Star Wars and really love Iron man. She fell asleep in Captain Marvel and it is one of her least favorite Marvel movies. I will say my wife is like a 80 year old war veteran and often makes fun of me for crying in a movie.

We finally got one of the family members to watch the kid this Sunday afternoon and I saw End Game. Our kid has a bit of medical stuff and only certain family members get him alone for long periods unfortunately.

Who said anything about top 5 or 10?

It could be the 19th best and still have room to be an entertaining film to me that I will watch multiple times.

I said it’s as good as CA. Not as good as Winter Soldier or Civil War.

I actually list CA as one of my top 10 Marvel movies but I'll be honest, it's mainly because I'm pretty distracted by Agent Carter.

I actually list CA as one of my top 10 Marvel movies but I'll be honest, it's mainly because I'm pretty distracted by Agent Carter.

I mean, it’s good. Very good.

It’s not Guardians of the Galaxy or Winter Soldier good though. It’s not as good as Iron Man.

I feel like there’s a pretty clear upper tier when it comes to Marvel movies. Those three. Avengers, Ant Man, both Infinity movies, Civil War. I’d put Iron Man III, Ragnorak and Ant Man and Wasp in the next group ahead of CA, Strange, BP, Homecoming, Age of Ultron and Captain Marvel. Honestly though, I feel like all of these are very good, A-level movies for what they’re supposed to accomplish on screen. It’s just that some of them, 6-7, are truly great.

I also like Hulk and GG2.

The other three I don’t ever need to see again.

@TheRedSon C'mon man. You have your own thread for endgame spoilers.

At least use the stinking Spoiler markup to hide it.

I said spoiler...

I don’t actually know how to do the spoiler tag on this forum...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT