ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Sanderson

Ostate4life

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2001
How did ISU let him get away? He is a school legend in a sport that ISU has history in and values. Why did he go to PSU? Was it purely financial?

Best high school wrestling 200 mile radius from state college . Pennsylvania talent too attractive to pass up .

How did ISU let him get away? He is a school legend in a sport that ISU has history in and values. Why did he go to PSU? Was it purely financial?
He went to Pennsylvania because PA is the best high school wrestling state in the country, and is surrounded by NJ, NY and Ohio, all of which are solid wrestling states. He knew if he was in the hotbed of HS wrestling, he could build a dynasty. I don't know this for sure, but I believe that includes at the world level, as well, with the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club, and with the addition of the Army World Class Athlete Program.

He went to Pennsylvania because PA is the best high school wrestling state in the country, and is surrounded by NJ, NY and Ohio, all of which are solid wrestling states. He knew if he was in the hotbed of HS wrestling, he could build a dynasty. .

While that is surely part of it, IMO it doesn't make the top 3.

Money also played a factor in him leaving Ames for state college I believe. PSU made a good offer and isu wasn't going to match it

Money also played a factor in him leaving Ames for state college I believe. PSU made a good offer and isu wasn't going to match it

It wasn't salary, but it most definitely involved money, or to put it another way, backing from outside sources which ISU at that time couldn't compete with.

Well, I think we all know who the first offer needs to be made to when Coach Smith decides to hang em up.

Penn State never even thought to give Cael a phone call. Why would they Cael was at his Alma-Mater and doing well.

Penn State was so far into the coaching search they would have announced in a day, maybe two. Cael called the Penn State athletic director, Tim Curley, and ask if it was possible for him to interview for the job.

Penn State flew him to State College and in just a couple of days they had a new coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT