ADVERTISEMENT

Brock?

if you use the ligament from a cadaver then 4-6 months healing time for an ACL is about right. Family member had it and is back participating in athletics.

You are almost always releases to jog at 16 weeks and fully released at 24 weeks.

Some elite athletes are released at 16 weeks.

Reactions: diehard1413
if you use the ligament from a cadaver then 4-6 months healing time for an ACL is about right. Family member had it and is back participating in athletics.
Most sports surgeons would not use an allograft (cadaver) for reconstruction in this age in a high level athlete. They would use an autograft (from the patient) in this scenario and between 6-9 months if it is an ACL. Meniscus repair would be quicker.

Disappointing to hear this, but if things go well with surgery, he should make a full recovery and be able to participate at a high level.

You are almost always releases to jog at 16 weeks and fully released at 24 weeks.

Some elite athletes are released at 16 weeks.
That seems really quick, it's been about 10 years since my last ACL, which was my third, and it was not that quick. Granted the technology and information is much better now. I remember my first in '91 they had my knee immobilized for like 4 or 8 weeks. The one 10 years ago they had me on the range of motion machine the day of the surgery. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

I tore right one in October of 99 and had surgery in March of 2000. Patellar tendon graft and was jogging at 16 weeks on schedule. During surgery they took 40% of my cartilage and I tore my MCL, LCL and the cartilage, thus facilitating the decision to cut. My rehab consisted of me hitting on the therapist assistant and my nutrition consisted of Coors Original.

My second was in 2008, oppo knee. Did the hamstring graft...took it seriously at 27. Ate right, worked hard and focused on the rehab. I ran a early at 14 weeks and played softball at 16 weeks if I promised to take it easy.

Brock will have the best advice, but I hope it's a doc that makes him believe that 100% is attainable and expected.

I tore right one in October of 99 and had surgery in March of 2000. Patellar tendon graft and was jogging at 16 weeks on schedule. During surgery they took 40% of my cartilage and I tore my MCL, LCL and the cartilage, thus facilitating the decision to cut. My rehab consisted of me hitting on the therapist assistant and my nutrition consisted of Coors Original.

My second was in 2008, oppo knee. Did the hamstring graft...took it seriously at 27. Ate right, worked hard and focused on the rehab. I ran a early at 14 weeks and played softball at 16 weeks if I promised to take it easy.

Brock will have the best advice, but I hope it's a doc that makes him believe that 100% is attainable and expected.
For a second there I was thinking you were suggesting that your return to beer softball and his return to highly stressful, competitive wrestling were comparable in some way. If his ACL is torn, he is out of serious cranking and turning until next Nov/Dec.

With HEPA, or whatever the acronym is, we will probably never know the specific injury or the type of surgery Kaid has we will simply have to wait and see how it effects him and when he can return. Terrible thing for him but hopefully he will get the corrective surgery necessary and come back to do great things in wrestling and be completely healthy when he returns. Hard to believe that Flo posted his injury was not that serious and he was going to return this year. I really find that hard to believe and would have to see it in print to believe they posted that on their site or any media.

For a second there I was thinking you were suggesting that your return to beer softball and his return to highly stressful, competitive wrestling were comparable in some way. If his ACL is torn, he is out of serious cranking and turning until next Nov/Dec.

Haha, it wasn't beer softball, but absolutely not! I don't compare any sport, much less a dimmed version of Baseball to NCAA Wrestling. There simply aren't comparisons. If a College Athlete should be paid, Wrestlers deserve it first!

However, depending on what the injury it actually is, it is very important that the Dr. use the correct psychology towards Brock. His mentality regarding the injury is more important than most realize. I think that Realbuto tore his ACL against Dieringer and I think Moisey tore his in the Finals last year. Those guys are back at it and most likely have forgotten the doubt that comes with the surgery. As far as being out until Thanksgiving on cranking and turning, Im not sure where you are getting that? After the graft has gone through the process, it is almost no different than pre-surgery. The rehab during the graft reforming should take care of any muscle issues he may have. The 4-6 month idea is for normal people. Wrestlers at this level are not normal people and you can bet he puts in serious work to be back at competition. His muscle and hopefully his mind will be ready to rock and roll at 2 months...they will most likely be trying to temper him down to get the point where the graft is good enough to take the punishment he puts on it...at 16 weeks out.

I will say that my Dr. wouldn't let me Wrestle my senior year. I didn't have an ACL in my right knee, but I was released to finish out Football and Pole Vault, but Wrestling was too risky.

Any chance this year can still count as a redshirt?

I think he would be awarded a Medical Redshirt? That stuff seems to change all the time, so I don't know for certain, but I would think he would qualify for that?

The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater
Must meet all of them, and I think he does.

With HEPA, or whatever the acronym is, we will probably never know the specific injury or the type of surgery Kaid has we will simply have to wait and see how it effects him and when he can return. Terrible thing for him but hopefully he will get the corrective surgery necessary and come back to do great things in wrestling and be completely healthy when he returns. Hard to believe that Flo posted his injury was not that serious and he was going to return this year. I really find that hard to believe and would have to see it in print to believe they posted that on their site or any media.
Since I originally posted the Flo report, here you go. The minutes are listed with the podcast.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/38841-frl-archive-does-snyder-change-everything

Ok..just making for conversation....if this is the year to make the "run"..I don't think this is the answer but if 33 is such a question mark, what about pulling Pics redshirt and bumping Klimara to 33? I know this may be crazy but would it lead to the most points come ncaas? I don't think Klimara wins at 25...I'm thinking best case 3rd. Not selling him short but the top 4 at 125 are great. Wonder what Klimara walks around at and how big he could get by then. Again just creating conversation. I know it may seem nuts but maybe......

Ok..just making for conversation....if this is the year to make the "run"..I don't think this is the answer but if 33 is such a question mark, what about pulling Pics redshirt and bumping Klimara to 33? I know this may be crazy but would it lead to the most points come ncaas? I don't think Klimara wins at 25...I'm thinking best case 3rd. Not selling him short but the top 4 at 125 are great. Wonder what Klimara walks around at and how big he could get by then. Again just creating conversation. I know it may seem nuts but maybe......
Cowboyalum, This thought entered my mind but in reviewing the weight classes I think it would ensure we do not AA at either weight. Eddie is ranked #5 by Flo behind Tomasello, Gilman,Dance and Megaludis and is not liable to defeat any of those four. He is ranked ahead of Peters, Bresser and Petrov and this appears about right. In their only match Eddie dec. Piccinini and although it was a close score I believe the score was deceiving and not as close as it would appear. At 133 the top 8 include Nashon Garrett, Cody Clark, Cody Brewer,George DiCamillo, ZaneRichards, Earl Hall, Johnni Dijulius, Jordan Conaway and EricMontoya. Eddie is not in the same playing field as the top six or seven in my opinion and probably would not place.

Eddie is not big 125, he would struggle at 133. We still have great shot to AA at 125, 141, 149, 165, 174, hwt. Add 157 if Joe wrestles. Maybe not enough to top Penn State but a lot can happen the next two months.

I do agree. Let's say it stays as is. Just clearly guessing here. Klimara 4th at ncaa and 133 no place. If they make the switch let's say Klimara 7th at best.....where do we think Pic could end up at 125? Again just like the guessing games!

I guess it is always possible that 5% could out weigh 95% in John's mind but he was pretty clear on his show that Joe is coming out of redshirt. Again there is no viable alternative at 157.

As far as being out until Thanksgiving on cranking and turning, Im not sure where you are getting that?
All I'm telling is you is what my kid's ortho told me after he had ACL surgery the week of Thanksgiving. I'm sure you could find a doc who would tell you that you can be just like Adrian Peterson and come back in 6 months, but there's really no point in it for a kid like Brock. In short, the whole thing is not as simple as you're making it out to be and docs are all over the place when it comes to recovery timelines and techniques.

Sorry Tons, but I don't care what you interpreted what your kids doc said. There are some things that depend on what type of graft it is, and how bad the injury is. Other than that, if it is a straight ACL, at 16 weeks the graft is at a point where running doesn't pose a giant risk. Maybe you found the Doc that is a little different?

Around the 16 week mark the graft is at a point where it will heal minimally in reference to time. At 24 weeks, the graft is at a certain point that it isn't getting much better/stronger. It is purely mental at this point. It will most likely never be quite as strong as the original ACL (high 90s %) but it is goes much slower at 16 weeks on. If I remember correctly, at 16 weeks, the graft is like 80% and at 24 weeks its a tad above 90%? It never gets to 100% (supposedly) and it does take close to a year before it is really done...I think, but still 24 weeks to 52 weeks account for around 2+% of the graft strength.

The main thing during therapy is regaining strength in the muscles...to help insure that you have the muscle coordination and strength to hopefully avoid the injury in the future. The next most important is the mental aspect.

Other than that, risk of infection and re-injury during the very week part of the knee is dangerous. Rehab well, do what the Doc says and you may return to full activity in 6 months. The same doc didn't do both knees, I had a totally different group do my second. The grafts were different, but the protocol was exactly the same. I was released and on my own at 6 months. My little brother, tore his in the spring of his junior year...had surgery, and was playing strong safety by game 3...which was right at 6 months. The Doc even let him suit up at 20+ weeks and participate as the holder the first two weeks of the season. All three are different Docs and all three protocols were the same. One from Ardmore, one from sNorman and one from Edmond...all three with the same schedule of rehab and similar charts on graft strength.

I hope your son rehabs well and everything works out great by the way!

I've had shoulder surgery so I can't post in this thread.

On another note, glad Brock had his RS.

I had my ACL done 2 years ago and I was back running at 6 months but I was not cleared to fully wrestle until 9 months which was about right with the protocol the surgeon had set for his NFL players (team doctor for the Seahawks). This injury seems like a meniscus tear that is being repaired or possibly a dislocation and a small ligament tear.

Sorry Tons, but I don't care what you interpreted what your kids doc said. There are some things that depend on what type of graft it is, and how bad the injury is. Other than that, if it is a straight ACL, at 16 weeks the graft is at a point where running doesn't pose a giant risk. Maybe you found the Doc that is a little different?

Around the 16 week mark the graft is at a point where it will heal minimally in reference to time. At 24 weeks, the graft is at a certain point that it isn't getting much better/stronger. It is purely mental at this point. It will most likely never be quite as strong as the original ACL (high 90s %) but it is goes much slower at 16 weeks on. If I remember correctly, at 16 weeks, the graft is like 80% and at 24 weeks its a tad above 90%? It never gets to 100% (supposedly) and it does take close to a year before it is really done...I think, but still 24 weeks to 52 weeks account for around 2+% of the graft strength.

The main thing during therapy is regaining strength in the muscles...to help insure that you have the muscle coordination and strength to hopefully avoid the injury in the future. The next most important is the mental aspect.

Other than that, risk of infection and re-injury during the very week part of the knee is dangerous. Rehab well, do what the Doc says and you may return to full activity in 6 months. The same doc didn't do both knees, I had a totally different group do my second. The grafts were different, but the protocol was exactly the same. I was released and on my own at 6 months. My little brother, tore his in the spring of his junior year...had surgery, and was playing strong safety by game 3...which was right at 6 months. The Doc even let him suit up at 20+ weeks and participate as the holder the first two weeks of the season. All three are different Docs and all three protocols were the same. One from Ardmore, one from sNorman and one from Edmond...all three with the same schedule of rehab and similar charts on graft strength.

I hope your son rehabs well and everything works out great by the way!
It seems very important to you to be thought of as knowledgable on this topic, so I will not intervene further in you believing you know more than one of the top ortho's in North Texas with a medical degree from Stanford.

Haha, okay. I am not a Dr. a therapist, nor am I an assistant. The info I am giving is through a ton of research trying to get the best care I could've at the time. If you cared to research it on your own, I believe you will find the same info on recovery time? I am not attempting to hold my knowledge on the subject in higher regard than any Doc, much less one that is as highly regarded as you suggest. Matter of fact, I don't really care how people view my knowledge...I wish I didn't have any on this subject at all!

My first Doc did tell me that I wouldn't be confident for 8 months to a year, but that it was only a mental issue. It is of note that he was very caring of my well-being and conservative with me. So, that may be the best way to approach it with your kid? It is also of note, my last one does knees and mainly knees. He is/was the team Doc for Oh You and operates on pros that were student athletes at oh you. Im not sure where he earned his degree, and I never cared to ask...he was highly recommended and has a great network to reference and shares a clinic with the guy that did my little brothers, who at the time did all/most of the procedures on OSU athletes.

Tore my ACL on Monday. Surgery on a Wednesday. Played polo on Saturday.

But I'm above average. :)
The surgery must have been for a hang nail. I have witnessed you after several knee surgeries and actually had to sign agreements with both the doctor and hospital that I would find a different hospital and a different country if you ever needed surgery again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT