ADVERTISEMENT

Breastfeeding in public, big deal or not?

Schoonerman

Recruit
May 29, 2001
Marietta, GA
I'm having lunch with the wifey at Jasons' Deli and as we're eating, I see my wife's eyes get really big and start darting toward the family sitting next to us. I casually glance over and see the woman is breastfeeding her kid without covering herself and it did not bother me one bit. Now, I still believe that a woman should exercise a little common courtesy and cover herself if she's breastfeeding in public, but if she's wants to do it, then it's her right to do so. Of course my wife is on the other end of the spectrum and thinks it's perfectly fine, so I guess she thought I was going to blow a gasket when I saw the lady breastfeeding her kid.

I don't know if I'm becoming more tolerant or if those who are outraged by women breastfeeding in public are making a big deal out of nothing, but I have to admit that I was kind of proud of myself for not letting it bother me. I did notice several other men looking and one guy had a very distinct look of disgust on his face, but no one said a thing to her.

I know we've got much, much bigger fish to fry as a nation and as a society, but I'm thinking this whole public breastfeeding thing is not that big of a deal after all.

To cover or not to cover isn't a big deal to me. I think some don't cover just to show how much of an independent woman they are.
This also leads me to a situation we encountered at church. We sit in the same general area every weekend and my wife has a favorite spot behind a family with 6 kids. The mom is currently breastfeeding and does so at every Mass. She covers up, obviously, but is sitting during the process. Being Catholic we kneel, which puts that baby's head about `14'' away from face. After a couple of weeks I told my wife we couldn't sit behind them anymore.
I also had a customer years ago who had just lost her husband a few months earlier. We met at her house to go over some things and from across the room comes a kid, around 3 years old,, jumps on her lap, she whips it out and he goes to town. This kid had a full mouth of teeth!

Last edited:
It bothers the shit our of me. 90% of Women do it as some kind of statement just to make everyone else eat a crap sandwich.

No big deal. But moms should have some consideration for people who find it offensive and at least make an effort to use a cover. Personally, couldn't care less and think generally we are too uptight about our bodies in this country.
I'm trying to wrap my head around what it is that might offend people? An act that goes back a couple million years and provides life to small humans offends people?

I'm trying to wrap my head around what it is that might offend people? An act that goes back a couple million years and provides life to small humans offends people?

I can't explain it to you. Everyone loves boobs. Women too. Just saying you know it's going to offend someone for some reason, because people. So why would you want to deal with the pain in the ass factor of gawkers and complainers?

I am a big fan of boobs.

shannon-whirry-mmi05.jpg

I guess you will have to put me in the camp of being far more "offended" by a mother who would let her baby go hungry, because some yahoo might be offended by it. A parent who won't do the best thing they can do for their kid, especially letting their kid "eat" because of what other people may think, probably doesn't have the makings of a good parent.

There's certainly one metric sh*t-ton of evidence that breast feeding contributes to health and intelligence of babies. Maybe those who find this offensive were formula fed? (I'm with 100 Tons on this one, it's part of nature.)

I certainly think it is okay for women to breast feed in public. But as mentioned above, some women do this just to make a point more so than feed their child. We live in such a sexual society that rather than see a woman feeding a child we see a partially disrobed woman...for this reason I do think a woman should cover up some. Covering up saves me a few knots on the head from the wife! One quick breast feeding story. So we are in church and a mother is breast feeding, the child is smacking so loud that the pastor can barely concentrate! We were certainly a happy congregation that day; everyone had huge smiles.

I'm having lunch with the wifey at Jasons' Deli and as we're eating, I see my wife's eyes get really big and start darting toward the family sitting next to us. I casually glance over and see the woman is breastfeeding her kid without covering herself and it did not bother me one bit. Now, I still believe that a woman should exercise a little common courtesy and cover herself if she's breastfeeding in public, but if she's wants to do it, then it's her right to do so. Of course my wife is on the other end of the spectrum and thinks it's perfectly fine, so I guess she thought I was going to blow a gasket when I saw the lady breastfeeding her kid.

I don't know if I'm becoming more tolerant or if those who are outraged by women breastfeeding in public are making a big deal out of nothing, but I have to admit that I was kind of proud of myself for not letting it bother me. I did notice several other men looking and one guy had a very distinct look of disgust on his face, but no one said a thing to her.

I know we've got much, much bigger fish to fry as a nation and as a society, but I'm thinking this whole public breastfeeding thing is not that big of a deal after all.

It should be done as discreetly as possible. If it has to be done in public, so be it.

All these women "making a point" are just in people's head.

Most breastfeeding moms are just tired and need to get the job done.

Probably worn out from making all those Facebook and blog posts about it. :)

Reactions: MegaPoke
Big deal or not? Only in America. Maybe Japan.

I'm in Tokyo right now and can verify that I have not seen any breastfeeding mothers here. Japanese or otherwise.

On a similar note (i.e. kids), the only kids I've seen here that act crazy in public, are American. It's sad to say, but they stuck out like a sore thumb.

Pissing and crapping are part of nature to so I say everyone should just do what comes naturally. If you are offended with me whipping it out and pissing in the bushes instead of me holding it and risking my bladder exploding that's on you not me.

Personally I have zero problem with someone breast feeding in public, common decency would say cover up but if you don't want to then done be offended when folks stare.

Pissing and crapping are part of nature to so I say everyone should just do what comes naturally. If you are offended with me whipping it out and pissing in the bushes instead of me holding it and risking my bladder exploding that's on you not me.

Personally I have zero problem with someone breast feeding in public, common decency would say cover up but if you don't want to then done be offended when folks stare.
False analogy is false.

I'd like everyone to eat their food under a blanket. Mouths are used for sex, and I don't want to see it.

See how dumb these arguments can be?

Haven't read entire thread...

I can't believe anybody cares; I guess it goes back to our Puritanical roots.

Breast milk is proven to be far healthier for babies than formula. The more breast feeding in our society, the better. If you're offended, that's a you problem.

Haven't read entire thread...

Breast milk is proven to be far healthier for babies than formula. The more breast feeding in our society, the better. If you're offended, that's a you problem.

It sounds like breast milk should be on all of those "super food" click bait lists. I bet organic is probably the best.

We met at her house to go over some things and from across the room comes a kid, around 3 years old,, jumps on her lap, she whips it out and he goes to town. This kid had a full mouth of teeth!
I'm curious of the board's opinion on a cutoff age for public breast feeding. I'm gonna go with the ability to recite the alphabet forwards. If the kid can do that, then let's try to keep it at the house.

This "it's a natural thing" argument telling me that I should not care if a woman covers or not is BS. Pissing, farting, sh**ting, burping, puking are all natural things that most people have enough modesty, self respect, and respect for others to try their best not to do around other people. I lump breast feeding in the same category. If it is inappropriate for Janet Jackson to show her nipple on national TV then it is inappropriate for a woman to show her nipple at the mall when breast feeding. If a woman cannot sit in a restaurant topless and eat then having a baby attached to the boob does not make it more appropriate.

This "it's a natural thing" argument telling me that I should not care if a woman covers or not is BS. Pissing, farting, sh**ting, burping, puking are all natural things that most people have enough modesty, self respect, and respect for others to try their best not to do around other people. I lump breast feeding in the same category. If it is inappropriate for Janet Jackson to show her nipple on national TV then it is inappropriate for a woman to show her nipple at the mall when breast feeding. If a woman cannot sit in a restaurant topless and eat then having a baby attached to the boob does not make it more appropriate.
Why is a nipple inappropriate? Do you plan to cover all statues and paintings? Should we ban children from museums?

It's context, a-holes.

Comparing feeding a child to pissing, farting, pooping, etc. is something that should make you feel ashamed. It's flat perverted, ya sick ****.
Does anyone force you to eat in a closet? Under a blanket?

Why is a nipple inappropriate? Do you plan to cover all statues and paintings? Should we ban children from museums?

It's context, a-holes.

Comparing feeding a child to pissing, farting, pooping, etc. is something that should make you feel ashamed. It's flat perverted, ya sick ****.
Does anyone force you to eat in a closet? Under a blanket?

Wow, was all that name calling really necessary? I will try to be a bit more mature than you in my response.

First, I expect to see certain things in museums and art galleries that I can choose whether or not to expose myself or my children to them. I do not have to expect to have to expose myself or children to nudity in a public place like a mall, restaurant, etc.

Second, I absolutely do not feel ashamed about my opinion. It is intellectually dishonest for anyone to say that it is inappropriate for a woman to be in a public place with a breast exposed, but it is not inappropriate if that exposed breast has a child sucking on it. It is also intellectually dishonest of you to say that the expelling of fluids from one body part is not comparable to expelling of body fluids of another part of the body. Understood that one is waste and the other is used for nourishment of a child, but it is still expelling body fluids and that may be very disgusting to some people. Some people think that body odor is a very natural thing and choose not to use deodorants to keep their body from smelling for whatever reason. I hope they show some consideration for other people and don't come sit down next to me in a restaurant. The same consideration for other people should be shown by everyone and breast feeding mothers should show that same consideration in my opinion.

This "it's a natural thing" argument telling me that I should not care if a woman covers or not is BS. Pissing, farting, sh**ting, burping, puking are all natural things that most people have enough modesty, self respect, and respect for others to try their best not to do around other people. I lump breast feeding in the same category.
That is just a horrendously bad analogy.

I'm guessing you don't have kids that were breastfed. Wonder how those with strong opinions on this topic fall along this fault line?

Reactions: tcpoke and MegaPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT