ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 expansion

OHkie

Redshirt
Oct 14, 2018
From a wrestling standpoint, with the looming addition of ASU to the conference along with UA and Utah. Will we see any of the new schools realign their sports with what the conference already offers. Or will there be a need for affiliate members? Would Little Rock join the SoCon? Would Oregon State fall through the cracks? I find it all so interesting and there are so many scenarios that it’s all speculation. But it’s August and we need something to talk about!

From a wrestling standpoint, with the looming addition of ASU to the conference along with UA and Utah. Will we see any of the new schools realign their sports with what the conference already offers. Or will there be a need for affiliate members? Would Little Rock join the SoCon? Would Oregon State fall through the cracks? I find it all so interesting and there are so many scenarios that it’s all speculation. But it’s August and we need something to talk about!
No

Reactions: Pokewood
ASU has wrestling. If they join the Big 12 wouldn't the wrestling team come over too?
Yes. But it does nothing for wrestling in a broad perspective and little to nothing for OSU wrestling. IF you want something for OSU wrestling (and other non-revenue sports) wish for SEC money. We aren't going to the B10, that's a pipe dream. But the extra $40M a year would do wonders for wrestling, baseball, etc.

In my opinion, the best case scenario is the 6 ACC schools with wrestling merge with Big XII, which now has ASU and not 0u to create the national conference - we invite Oregon St and Stanford and could be competitive with B1G, albeit still behind at the top. The ACC part won't happen as this has been discussed at some level and to this point, their conference will not let it happen.

But the addition of Oregon St, Stanford (assuming they keep their program which might be questionable) and ASU minus 0u is a great conference.

Yes. But it does nothing for wrestling in a broad perspective and little to nothing for OSU wrestling. IF you want something for OSU wrestling (and other non-revenue sports) wish for SEC money. We aren't going to the B10, that's a pipe dream. But the extra $40M a year would do wonders for wrestling, baseball, etc.
Don’t underestimate Yormark . The money will come . The more AA’s and NC in the conference the better recruiting pitch you will have . Arizona State should help with that .

Ou baseball and wrestling will see some benefits from that extra Sec Cash

This seems like if further opens OSU’s exposure to California.

Tap that Gilroy Pipeline!

Reactions: osu2082
Does anyone know the status of the three remaining PAC 12 teams that do wrestle (Oregon State, Cal State, and Stanford)?

I read somewhere that the PAC 12 schools with high enough academics will go to the BIG 10 and the rest will go to the BIG 12. Where does that thought put us with these schools?

Last edited:
Arizona had wrestling until 1982, maybe they will drop beach volleyball and reinstate wrestling? Utah also has Skiing and beach volleyball, seems like all schools have a one off, that competes outside the conference. I could see Stanford, Oregon State, and Cal Poly, and Little Rock joining the big 12 affiliates to create a wrestling conference similar to the EIWA. Little Rock and Oklahoma to SoCon seems to make a lot of sense.

Reactions: JAY45

What are you talking about? Arizona State is easily a Top 10 wrestling program and a GREAT get for Big XII wrestling. Out of all the non-Big 10 wrestling programs, Arizona State is definitely at the top of the list or pretty damn close

What are you talking about? Arizona State is easily a Top 10 wrestling program and a GREAT get for Big XII wrestling. Out of all the non-Big 10 wrestling programs, Arizona State is definitely at the top of the list or pretty damn close
Cornell, UNC, ASU, VT would be the best non big10 big12 targets for me. I would say Stanford, but not going to include a program that could get the axe at any moment still.

If we could get the remaining Pac 12 schools with programs as Big12 affiliates we would have a very strong conference with 16+ teams. I have a feeling Stanford will either go to the B1G or go independent.

Reactions: osu2082
Cornell, UNC, ASU, VT would be the best non big10 big12 targets for me. I would say Stanford, but not going to include a program that could get the axe at any moment still.
NC State is probably the best non big 10 program IMHO. They have been very consistently top 10 for a while now. I selfishly wanted Oregon State from the PAC during this realignment just for their wrestling team.

If we could get the remaining Pac 12 schools with programs as Big12 affiliates we would have a very strong conference with 16+ teams. I have a feeling Stanford will either go to the B1G or go independent.
I agree and then we can get rid of these horrible wrestling affiliate schools that don't help us in any way except to pad our win-loss record

Reactions: bwel9339
He doesn’t have to . His job is to get the conference better tv deals and market the conference for exposure.
Yada, yada, yada. I've been around and involved in wrestling for going on 40 plus years. I've heard any and all remedies on how to promote wrestling, grow wrestling and provide larger exposure for wrestling. Both on the collegiate and international styles. There is very, very little Yormark can do.

NC State is currently the best team in ACC and one of the better non B1G teams in the country.

Posted this before reading all the later responses🤣

Reactions: tom_v31
Yada, yada, yada. I've been around and involved in wrestling for going on 40 plus years. I've heard any and all remedies on how to promote wrestling, grow wrestling and provide larger exposure for wrestling. Both on the collegiate and international styles. There is very, very little Yormark can do.
The more money being distributed to the school the better the athletic department budget in general will be .

Reactions: bwel9339
The more money being distributed to the school the better the athletic department budget in general will be .
That is the reason we should all hope the SEC invites us at some point. We aren't going to get there with the B12

I betcha conference realignment will get to the point where they change every year based on what football matchups the advertisers and ADs think will make the most money.

what have you done in last 40 years to make it better. Every idea someone has , you shoot it down. We need to be very competitive in ALL sports over next few years for when the next dominos fall. Probably be 60-64 teams and not automatically SEC NOR BG10. We jump to SEC tomorrow, we are the poorest team in league. We have to be competitive and I don’t think we can maintain that at this time.

Reactions: gyppoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT