ADVERTISEMENT

Assistant Coaches

I believe that with our old staff and backing I believe we could have finished 2nd with consistency. With the new staff, and much greater backing our goal of success has to be to take down Penn. St. in the next 3 or 4 years. We need 35 and more for this to be a success. The Penn. St fans will not be so supportive once we take a National Title. That will be great and with an improvement in recruiting ( which has been very good of late) and development of our wrestlers( that has not been real good) we will get 35 in that 3 or 4 year period. I am excited to see our new product and even improved recruiting and development.
If you take 1 out of 4 with PSU taking the other 3, I think we’ll be good. But if it’s 2 to 2… uh oh.

Either way, this is exciting for wrestling, and wrestling needed this.

The Penn. St fans will not be so supportive once we take a National Title.
I basically agree with your other points, but I think the PSU will consider DT one of there’s for a while. They want to win just like everyone else, but they will not dislike us as long as DT is here.

If Branch, Pendleton, Pop, or Coleman won a NC, we would be mad/ disappointed we didn’t win, but would be happy a former cowboy win. I think PSU will be the same. Now a common enemy in Iowa.

I basically agree with your other points, but I think the PSU will consider DT one of there’s for a while. They want to win just like everyone else, but they will not dislike us as long as DT is here.

If Branch, Pendleton, Pop, or Coleman won a NC, we would be mad/ disappointed we didn’t win, but would be happy a former cowboy win. I think PSU will be the same. Now a common enemy in Iowa.

Just like that, OSU has become my second favorite team*.

*(Unless DT creates a new Cowboys Dynasty, then I'll hate you guys.)

I believe that with our old staff and backing I believe we could have finished 2nd with consistency. With the new staff, and much greater backing our goal of success has to be to take down Penn. St. in the next 3 or 4 years. We need 35 and more for this to be a success. The Penn. St fans will not be so supportive once we take a National Title. That will be great and with an improvement in recruiting ( which has been very good of late) and development of our wrestlers( that has not been real good) we will get 35 in that 3 or 4 year period. I am excited to see our new product and even improved recruiting and development.
I agree. I think top 5 to 2 would be pretty consistent. Iowa, Cornell, Michigan, Ohio state; as well as Missouri, Iowa state would be challengers. We were ranked #2 going into nationals though and with some more experience, we could have come close to that. With all the changes, our upside is greater and we would still be sitting 2 to 3 for the next few years but maybe we can start tocontend in 5ish years. But t, you recruit the right guys and have good buy-in with good performances, maybe we could steel one in said years. I don’t want to create overinflated expectations, but we can hope.

I just really hope DT tries to put his personalized stamp on the OSU program and make it his own and not just a PSU 2.0, I want to be OSU 2.0 and wrestle like PSU. I know some of the culture here needed to change and it most certainly will, but it’s important to stay true to the fabric that makes up this historic program and we are also a very different program than PSU historically.

Still not sold on Gilman, don’t like it at all. Doesn’t feel like a move that should have happened to OSU unless it was just too much money to turn down. But Jimmy’s got his shit together and he’s going to prove his worth in gold.
I wasn't that keen on Gilman going to the NLWC, but everyone in the program says he enjoys teaching technique and has been impressive in the room as a mentor. He is a master at hand fighting which will improve everyone's scoring capability in your room. That said, I think after the Olympics he moves to the RTC and Dake slides into an asst coach position. I could be wrong on that but it makes more sense.

Last edited:
I wasn't that keen on Gilman going to the NLWC, but everyone in the program says he enjoys teaching technique and has been impressive in the room. He is a master at hand fighting which will improve everyone's scoring capability in your room. That said, I think after the Olympics he moves to the RTC and Dake slides into an asst coach position. I could be wrong on that but it makes more sense.
Gilman is a man you want on the college staff.

He’s that high level of a person you want your college guys emulating. He’s going to be the enforcer as well. Which is one of Casey’s roles.

Gilman is a changed man since joining NLWC. He talked about the Iowa bubble and how everything was based off of winning or losing. At NLWC it was about being your best on and off the matt. Winning is just a byproduct. He will be a great coach and mentor.

Will there be a big man coach coming in, or is this it for now? Who was the last big guy coach we had on staff? I mean someone to wrestle with the guys, might help get Wyatt?

It also can’t understated how much of PSUs success is because the coaches wrestle with the guys ALL DAY.

There is a huge emphasis on individuals with the coaches.

Reactions: AtownPoke and JAY45
Judging from their message board Iowa doesn’t have fans, just people that hate them less

Lol

I’m sure Iowa has genuine fans. Their message board is a shocking place however.
It’s called the cesspool for a reason.

MANY, MANY true fans on our board. But it’s pretty split right now between brands loyalists and those that want him gone.

And even the ones that don’t want him gone want changes. And that ain’t happening either.

MANY, MANY true fans on our board. But it’s pretty split right now between brands loyalists and those that want him gone.

And even the ones that don’t want him gone want changes. And that ain’t happening either.
this place can’t turn into cesspool 2.0. I will be too sad 😆

Reactions: TheJimReaper
Still not sold on Gilman, don’t like it at all. Doesn’t feel like a move that should have happened to OSU unless it was just too much money to turn down. But Jimmy’s got his shit together and he’s going to prove his worth in gold.
I’ve been around him.
He’s an incredible person; and (don’t laugh), like DT…and outspoken believer.
I get it, he was the Bad Boy at Iowa.
He’s grown & matured.
It’s a massive win that he is at OSU and I’ll bet he gives Daton the edge he’s been missing, and make Spratley into an animal.
All the kids idolize these guys.

Will there be a big man coach coming in, or is this it for now? Who was the last big guy coach we had on staff? I mean someone to wrestle with the guys, might help get Wyatt?
There should be; although DT and Gilman alone should be enough buzz for Wyatt.

Caldwell has an interview; his administration skills are top notch…hopefully he can fill the Ops Role.

I’ve been around him.
He’s an incredible person; and (don’t laugh), like DT…and outspoken believer.
I get it, he was the Bad Boy at Iowa.
He’s grown & matured.
It’s a massive win that he is at OSU and I’ll bet he gives Daton the edge he’s been missing, and make Spratley into an animal.
All the kids idolize these guys.
I’m very excited to see Spratley next season. He seems very excited to work with Gilman.

I agree. He’s all in. The good thing about men is that we can fight and turn around and be best friends. I’ve done a few times.

I hate to say this, but it goes back to Gable. His philosophy is VERY old school and it does not translate to these newer generations. John was a bit that way, though not as much. Great wrestlers/coaches but times do change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT