ADVERTISEMENT

Are you ready for President Pence???

I personally would say that merely meeting the historical average seat gain is basically the definition of a "mediocre" performance by Democrats rather than a "successful" one...

Perhaps, but it definitely wouldn't be a complete failure.

I'll take a +36 Democrat historical mediocre gain in the House in 2018. If that happens, the Democrats would control the House.

Last edited:
So gaining 13 seats in 2014 after losing 8 in 2012 and gaining 63 in 2010 isn't successful? If you look at the historical perspective on what those additional 13 seats accomplished, if you aren't a blind partisan, you'll see that Republicans were very successful in 2014.
The Republican Party continues to do well in spite of being completely unable to pass shit because the democrats have no message...other than the white man is the devil.

Have you read the very recent information

What information do you consider "very recent"?

Generally a "non-partisan" source has information from sources other than just those supporting the desired outcome.

I understand this but are you implying that a partisan source can't supply accurate information?

I'm actually for minimum wage increases, but I'm for ones based on sound economic study, not an arbitrary one that protestors made up.

Then you and I agree.

And I'd love to see an economic study on the minimum wage that some random protestors made up. I bet that would be some entertaining reading, lol!

The Republican Party continues to do well in spite of being completely unable to pass shit because the democrats have no message...other than the white man is the devil.

It really is amazing. I mean I LOATHE the GOP and most of what it stands for and yet, I feel it is somewhat my duty to oppose leftists so our interests somehow align. Kind of crazy.

Reactions: NZ Poke and squeak
if you aren't a blind partisan, you'll see that Republicans were very successful in 2014.

Again, if we are using the non-partisan metric of the historical average House seat gain by an opposing party, then the Republican House gains in 2014 were not successful per that metric.

You seem to want to use other metrics now in defining success. If that is the case, propose the other non-partisan metrics to use.

I am familiar with the study from researchers at UW-Seattle, as well as the competing study from researchers at Cal-Berkeley. And I agree with most economists who say the Seattle minimum wage needs further investigation before major conclusions are drawn.

I also will readily admit what most economists and yes, other liberals admit...that raising the minimum wage beyond a certain level is counterproductive. What that level (or the optimal minimum wage) is still is greatly debated among economists.

It is definitely much higher though than the current federal minimum wage, which means we have room to raise it without it being counterproductive.

Reactions: squeak
I understand this but are you implying that a partisan source can't supply accurate information?
Nope, but you also have to be willing to challenge the conclusions because of the potential bias of political leaning organizations. What if I told you that particular organization only puts information that agrees with their views on the subject? Could that be an obvious indicator of bias?

I also will readily admit what most economists and yes, other liberals admit...that raising the minimum wage beyond a certain level is counterproductive. What that level (or the optimal minimum wage) is still greatly debated among economists.
Hmmmm. So the target of $15 an hour, more than double the current, isn't based on well researched policy? I'd tend to think if it was, there wouldn't be great debate among economists.

What information do you consider "very recent"?
2017, being as how this minimum wage of $15 an hour is only a few years old. Research into the effects of a minimum wage increase of more than double isn't out there because it has never happened before. Information from 2015 is largely irrelevant at this point.

What if I told you that particular organization only puts information that agrees with their views on the subject?

I wouldn't be shocked, in fact, I would expect such action by any partisan group. However, that doesn't invalidate the independent studies and reports they provide. The internal material of those sources is what would invalidate them.

I wouldn't be shocked, in fact, I would expect such action by any partisan group. However, that doesn't invalidate the independent studies and reports they provide. The internal material of those sources is what would invalidate them.
How do you know that what they have provided are "independent studies and reports?" The fact that they didn't do them themselves? As I said, they can very well provide only information from partisan sources with preconceived conclusions. It literally happens all the time.

No, I didn't claim that.
Then where's the evidence that $15 an hour is the right target? Oh, there isn't any and that is exactly what is being researched as we speak so we should actually be careful using any conclusions from previous increases as a distinct measure of this one because we may be comparing apples to oranges which is what more than doubling the minimum wage is as compared to the rather modest increases previously?

Now I'm with you. 2015 is so 2015.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
Does anyone have a real life example where no minimum wage has shown to really help working people?

Last I checked this stat Austria, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, and Sweden had no minimum wage law. May have changed over the years though.

Reactions: AC_Exotic
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT