ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone have a wife/close gf that has had a hysterectomy?

GratefulDave

All-American
May 29, 2001
Edmond Station
my gf had surgery this morning because they found cervical cancer a couple months ago. I honestly thought she was just having her cervix removed...I tend to block out details when I don't want to know them. I know, I'm an idiot.

Would appreciate any thoughts/suggestions/ideas from my brethren that have been through this. My head is kinda spinning right now. She's a good girl, with two good kids, 12 and 4 yrs old. I know how to take care of a sick girl...just wondering what to expect after I get her out of the post-op phase.

My wife had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. She had battled pain for years and finally got to a good gyno that discovered she had a very large fibroid. They went in to get it out and discovered she had very bad endomitriosis...basically everything was all glued together...so they had to take out everything. She recovered from the surgery fairly quickly & was doing normal daily stuff that didn't require much strength in just a few days. A couple months to full recovery and she was back to normal...better actually. They had to put her on hormone replacement, so she wears a patch all the time. She feels amazingly better now...her attitude is better too as she isn't in pain. The only effect on life is that she can happily be much more physically active without pain than she was before...that and no kids, but that wasn't happening with what was going on inside her anyway, and we were already getting a bit to old to really think about it.

I suppose everyone will be different, but she was not at all concerned with the "changes" from not having all the parts...she was simply ecstatic to have the pain gone. So support through her recovery was really just a matter of helping her recover from the physical surgical piece that really lasted only a few days...not much mental/emotional support required for her.

JJ

Reactions: GratefulDave
Yes, just be sure she follows Dr's orders about not lifting or climbing stairs (those were my wife's directives) for several weeks. After a few weeks she will probably get back to normal. My wife is 40, but we were finished with 3 kids, so while there were some emotional adjustments, overall we are happy to not have to deal with the monthly visitor.

Reactions: GratefulDave
My wife has had everything taken. The physical recover was a lot of rest and no exertion. My wife chose not to do hormone replacement medications. I would suggest zanax, valium, or prozac combined with drinking. Then of course any meds the Dr. prescribes for her.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT