ADVERTISEMENT

Americans Spent More On Taxes Than On Food, Healthcare, Education & Clothing Combined

Given the distribution of tax burden I suspect this is true in aggregate but not in reality for the vast majority of Americans.

Maybe its time to give more?

By Eric Fruits, Ph.D.

This year, Oregon passed a major milestone. In 2020, Portland became the city with the highest personal income taxes in the United States.

The news was delivered this week in testimony to the Oregon Legislature. The State Tax Research Institute reported that state and local income taxes in Portland total nearly 14% — a rate that’s higher than San Francisco or New York.

That means the average Portland resident must work almost two months just to pay their state and local taxes.

Are we getting our money’s worth? It sure doesn’t seem like it.

• Do we have great schools? No. We have the fifth worst graduation rate in the country.
  • Do we have flourishing businesses? No. Over the past few years it seems more businesses are leaving than arriving.
  • A lot of our taxes go to the Oregon Health Plan. Do we have great health care? According to U.S. News and World Report, our state ranks near the bottom in adult and child wellness visits as well as child dental visits.
Now that we have record shattering tax rates, it’s time for us to ask: When will we get our money’s worth?

By Eric Fruits, Ph.D.

This year, Oregon passed a major milestone. In 2020, Portland became the city with the highest personal income taxes in the United States.

The news was delivered this week in testimony to the Oregon Legislature. The State Tax Research Institute reported that state and local income taxes in Portland total nearly 14% — a rate that’s higher than San Francisco or New York.

That means the average Portland resident must work almost two months just to pay their state and local taxes.

• Do we have great schools? No. We have the fifth worst graduation rate in the country.
  • Do we have flourishing businesses? No. Over the past few years it seems more businesses are leaving than arriving.
  • A lot of our taxes go to the Oregon Health Plan. Do we have great health care? According to U.S. News and World Report, our state ranks near the bottom in adult and child wellness visits as well as child dental visits.
Now that we have record shattering tax rates, it’s time for us to ask: When will we get our money’s worth?
Sounds like a liberal utopia but I don't see where they mention Unicorns.

What if....years ago the rich elite came up with a system make money havingnordinary citizens pay them part of their salary- you know bc we owe them. Then they bought off gov to implement said plan then had fake tv propaganda , tv and radio normalize it. Then since The citizens Knew it wasn't legal- got the entities to help enforce it with coercion and strong arm tactics like taking their homes or putting them in jail.......Science fiction or did it happen?

Amazing if Fox News came out and said taxes are voluntary we don't have to pay them what the Normies would do? Y'all think they would pay those taxes? A few idiots maybe.

That is exactly what has happened- someone show me in the constitution where it says we should give our money to corrupt entities - will hang up and listen.

"I'm happy to pay my fair share" said no patriot American EVER

Reactions: OUSOONER67

By Eric Fruits, Ph.D.

Thank goodness David lives in a quaint walled-in country club suburb of Portland and has skillfully avoided those high taxes. Is it possible that once he retreats to the country his taxes will go even lower? He doesn't charge $400/hour for his analyses for nothing!

Given the distribution of tax burden I suspect this is true in aggregate but not in reality for the vast majority of Americans.
I think this must be the closest you’ve ever come to admitting the rich pay more than their fair share. It’s when you say things like this that gives me hope the day will come that the scales fall from your eyes and you realize the error in your statist way of thinking.

I think this must be the closest you’ve ever come to admitting the rich pay more than their fair share. It’s when you say things like this that gives me hope the day will come that the scales fall from your eyes and you realize the error in your statist way of thinking.
Don't hold yer breath. 😉

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
075ea08fb4a295b2.jpeg

You know the story about the federal dollars for Jackson right?
No, none of us know that story, David. We’re sure you’ve done intense research on it, just like you do on every single topic known to man. So why don’t you tell us the story. With your ability to articulate I’m sure it will ge spellbinding. Ready? Set? Go! Tell that story, David!

Reactions: GunsOfFrankEaton
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT