ADVERTISEMENT

AMC's Better Call Saul

Great episode. Pretty cool to see Gale again.

Thought so too. I was trying to figure out exactly where we are at in the Breaking Bad timeline. My guess is we are three to five years from Gus meeting Water White. Maybe more. Gus is still building his empire. We know Gale will eventually set up the lab for Gus which seems like it could happen fairly soon. However Jimmy was pretty successful as Saul at that point so I think that side of the story needs at least five years.

Also where have we seen the two Mexicans with those boots before? I think they were in breaking bad but I can't remember when. Almost seems like it was when Walter went to Mexico.

Thought so too. I was trying to figure out exactly where we are at in the Breaking Bad timeline. My guess is we are three to five years from Gus meeting Water White. Maybe more. Gus is still building his empire. We know Gale will eventually set up the lab for Gus which seems like it could happen fairly soon. However Jimmy was pretty successful as Saul at that point so I think that side of the story needs at least five years.

Also where have we seen the two Mexicans with those boots before? I think they were in breaking bad but I can't remember when. Almost seems like it was when Walter went to Mexico.

They were the two guys that ambushed Hank in the parking lot. Gus brought them from Mexico to the states to kill Hank. Hank backed his car into one and crushed him, and shot the other.

They were the two guys that ambushed Hank in the parking lot. Gus brought them from Mexico to the states to kill Hank. Hank backed his car into one and crushed him, and shot the other.
3796.jpg

Reactions: Been Jammin
Thought the opening scene was interesting. This is the first time we have flash forward to actual Breaking Bad events. Traditional season opening scenes have at the mall have always been post breaking bad. Not sure exactly what the significance of it was. Didn't really seem to be a direct tie in to the episode unless I missed something which is always a possibility.

Gus and Mike are progressing fast into the Breaking Bad storyline. Interesting to see when Jimmy joins them. Probably about the time he become Saul.

Last edited:
This season is putting along imo. It's still a good watch but compared to last season it's pretty dull.

Most interesting thing last night was the preview for next week when the man shows up asking for Saul Goodman. Also we took a big step toward the Jimmny / Kim breakup which I believe is a key moment in Jimmy becoming Saul. Agree the rest is just filling in the backstory on the Gus operation.

Most interesting thing last night was the preview for next week when the man shows up asking for Saul Goodman. Also we took a big step toward the Jimmny / Kim breakup which I believe is a key moment in Jimmy becoming Saul. Agree the rest is just filling in the backstory on the Gus operation.

I'm interested to see where Kim ends up since she wasn't around for BB. My guess is that she moves away to get a fresh start.

Two significant events in the opening montage. Jimmy prints business cards with the name Saul Goodman for his cell phone business and for the first time I can remember we get a solid date of fall 2004 meaning we are a little over three years from the premier of Breaking Bad assuming it was set in real time and four and a half years from meeting Walter White in the April 26, 2009 season two episode 8 "Better Call Saul".

Looks like we rolled forward almost a year. Everything else went as expected: Kai's live expectancy is now measured in weeks if not days. Kim and Jimmy are drifting apart. And we are about to become Saul Goodman lawyer.

Yeah.

Jimmie said he has 1 more month to go before he can apply for reinstatement.

I'm assuming that the office he showed to Hewell is the location that turns into the office that Walt/Jessie frequented.

I loved the opening sequence that showed Jimmie and Kim drifting apart. So cleverly done.

I'm guessing that Hewell's case ends up being the thing that drives a permanent wedge between Kim/Jimmie. She has it under control in her mind, and he is going to do something that ends up ruining the life of the undercover cop.

Well they certainly twisted that story around in a way you didn't see coming. Great episode.

Well they certainly twisted that story around in a way you didn't see coming. Great episode.

I think I asked myself "WTF is happening?" about 4 times during that episode.

Didn't see Kim breaking bad coming at all.
(spoiler only for those who haven't watched the episode yet).

Also, we all thought Mike was going to have to do something about Kai. Now it looks like Kai might have been a red herring and Werner is the one that who will need to be eliminated.

Nacho's home life was not what I would have expected.

Watch the episode this morning. Interesting to say the least. Complete opposite for Kim then we had anticipated. I like it. Potentially keeps her in the story for the next two or three years where if they had just had the anticipate breakup she becomes a minor character. In retrospect you can see them sitting this up all along.

Werner is much more a problem then Kai as he is the brains of the operations. Both hard to replace and very hard to explain his departure to the rest of the crew. With Kai you could just say he was sent home and no one would immediately question it.

Have no idea what the deal was with Nacho's home life other then maybe to show he's been skimming off the top or something. He's obviously now caught between the two families fighting over territory. Of the people we know don't make it to Breaking Bad Nacho might be the most at immediate risk.

I can’t imagine BCS going more than 1 more season.

I don't know. I can see 1 more season before we catch up to BB. The show could continue with the post-BB Cinnabon story. Not sure it would be as good with Mike, Gus, etc all dead, but I wouldn't put it past Gilligan to come up with something great.

I don't know. I can see 1 more season before we catch up to BB. The show could continue with the post-BB Cinnabon story. Not sure it would be as good with Mike, Gus, etc all dead, but I wouldn't put it past Gilligan to come up with something great.
I can’t see them convincing Bob Odenkirk to continue doing it at a salary they can afford.

I can’t see them convincing Bob Odenkirk to continue doing it at a salary they can afford.

What are you basing this on? They got him to come back to do the show at his current salary, and had other highly paid actors around him. Has something changed since then?

Time line wise we are three plus years from even getting to the breaking bad timeline however I'm not sure how much material they have. This year has been much more tied to Breaking Bad but Jimmy obviously had a lot of none breaking bad events before we get to Walter White. If they are going to get to Breaking Bad time in one more season they would have to skip through time very quickly which really hasn't been the style of the show so far. I would say a minimum of two more season.

Well, didn't see that coming. Not sure where they are going with this. Now Kim and Jimmy are back on the outs. Is Jimmy somehow going to change his identity to Saul and become a lawyer under a false identity. I don't see how that would work since everyone knows him. I keep thinking one of these Kim and Jimmy scams is going to blow up and destroy Kim. This is definitely push Jimmy to the dark side.

Elsewhere Werner is loose in the wild supposedly headed back to Germany but he also now has knowledge of the location of the plant. Will Gus decide to disposed of him? We obviously know the facility gets completed based on breaking bad so that kills some of the suspense. I would not want to be Nacho. His cousin (?) is going to get him killed.

Last edited:
Well, didn't see that coming. Not sure where they are going with this. Now Kim and Jimmy are back on the outs. Is Jimmy somehow going to change his identity to Saul and become a lawyer under a false identity. I don't see how that would work since everyone knows him. I keep thinking one of these Kim and Jimmy scams is going to blow up and destroy Kim. This is definitely push Jimmy to the dark side.

Elsewhere Werner is loose in the wild supposedly head back to Germany but he also now has knowledge of the location of the plant. Will Gus decide to disposed of him. We obviously know the facility gets completed based on breaking bad so that kills some of the suspense. I would not want to be Nacho. His cousin (?) is going to get him killed.

Kim and Jimmy are going to appeal the decision. He will get reinstated (or, maybe we see him doing something else for another year, but I doubt it). Not sure where their relationship goes after that. Jimmy will change his legal name to SG, IMO. Maybe as a fresh start, maybe because he doesn't want to be associated with Chuck anymore, or maybe because he doesn't want confusion with Howard's firm.

Werner is a dead man. Mike will find him and eliminate that loose end.

That guy is not Nacho's cousin. Nacho isn't a Salamanca. The guy he is hanging with is going to die, as is Nacho, since neither was in BB. My guess is that the Salamancas figure out that Nacho is a double agent, and both guys kill each other in a shootout.

Reactions: Marshal Jim Duncan
Kim and Jimmy are going to appeal the decision. He will get reinstated (or, maybe we see him doing something else for another year, but I doubt it). Not sure where their relationship goes after that. Jimmy will change his legal name to SG, IMO. Maybe as a fresh start, maybe because he doesn't want to be associated with Chuck anymore, or maybe because he doesn't want confusion with Howard's firm.

Werner is a dead man. Mike will find him and eliminate that loose end.

That guy is not Nacho's cousin. Nacho isn't a Salamanca. The guy he is hanging with is going to die, as is Nacho, since neither was in BB. My guess is that the Salamancas figure out that Nacho is a double agent, and both guys kill each other in a shootout.

I thought Nacho was a Salamanca. So he just works for them. I guess that make sense based on his father. I expect either the Salamancia will figure out he gone over soon or his non-cousin pushes the issue to the point both get killed by Gus. I'm trying to remember the exact relationship between the Salamancas and Gus during breaking bad.

It is possible Nacho was alive during at least part of breaking bad just never in the storyline. If they do carry this through the breaking bad timeline they are obviously going to have to come up with some stuff that wasn't revealed in breaking bad. Could be interesting as they mix in breaking bad events but shown from Mike and Gus's viewpoints instead of Jessie and Walt's.

I don't think they would go through all this drama just to have Jimmy win on an appeal straight up. I get the feeling Jimmy is going to come up with some kind of scam to rig the appeal.

Random thoughts:

Does Werner wind up entombed in the concrete walls of the lab?

Nacho probably dies, but I suppose it is possible that he uses Saul's guy to disappear (unless it happens before Saul makes that connection).

I wonder whether Howard has sway with the review board and is influencing their decision to deny Jimmy's reinstatement. Howard may be the one that doesn't want him practicing as McGill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT