ADVERTISEMENT

AMC's Better Call Saul

Maybe the best episode yet.

Chucks death would seem to be a turning point for Jimmy on the road to becoming Saul. Last worlds of "I never cared for you" are going to haunt him although clearly it was losing the last two things he really did care for, Jimmy and the firm, that drove Chuck over the edge.

Spoiler - Saving Hectors life may not work out for Gus in the long run.

That was absolutely painful to watch. My wife and I were talking and I think Howard is pretty underrated as a character. It's easy to do on a show with so many good ones but I think they've done a really good job with him.

I agree. All the actors on the show are great, but that guy really does a good job.

Howard Hamlin is what you get if this guy grows up and becomes a lawyer:

william-zabka-2-sized.jpg

Patrick Fabian does a great job with the role. The too slick, too polished sort of guy who you feel could fall into pig shite and come out smelling like a rose. When the layers were pulled back however, we end up discovering he's not so much the bad guy, as he's just in cahoots with the bad guy by trying to protect Chuck.

Did Chuck ever cash/deposit that check? Is Jimmy in the will?

Reactions: NeekReevers
Did Chuck ever cash/deposit that check? Is Jimmy in the will?

I'm betting he didn't deposit it. I'm betting that there is some kind of twist that all of Chuck's inheritance goes to the firm (or Howard) and next season focuses on tension between Jimmy and Howard over Chuck's assets. Obviously, Jimmy doesn't end up with anything of significance.

I'm betting he didn't deposit it. I'm betting that there is some kind of twist that all of Chuck's inheritance goes to the firm (or Howard) and next season focuses on tension between Jimmy and Howard over Chuck's assets. Obviously, Jimmy doesn't end up with anything of significance.

I'm think either ex-wife or charity. Unlikely Jimmy as giving Jimmy that kind of money at this point would kill the motivation to become Saul. Firm may have some kind of key man insurance tied to a buyout that will bail Howard out

Reactions: Been Jammin
I like Howard.

He's a proud man, but you could see how emotional he was in that scene. He's gotten a bad rap in my opinion. He's been bending over for Jimmy's crazy ass brother for decades. I didn't care for his treatment of ol whatsherpuss at lunch but what man in that position is without ego?

I like Howard.

He's a proud man, but you could see how emotional he was in that scene. He's gotten a bad rap in my opinion. He's been bending over for Jimmy's crazy ass brother for decades. I didn't care for his treatment of ol whatsherpuss at lunch but what man in that position is without ego?
It is not right to like Howard. He is not likeable. Far before Chuck came into view, he was treating people like crap.

BTW I hope Chuck passed out from the smoke first.

Howard wanted to promote Jimmy aka "Charlie Hustle" but his sadistic partner made Howard screw Jimmy over. Seeing Chuck go up in smoke is a win-win, I got to enjoy his demise and he's no longer gonna' be a key part of the show. F that guy. (and yes, I realize Michael McKean played that role brilliantly)

Reactions: shortbus
Howard wanted to promote Jimmy aka "Charlie Hustle" but his sadistic partner made Howard screw Jimmy over. Seeing Chuck go up in smoke is a win-win, I got to enjoy his demise and he's no longer gonna' be a key part of the show. F that guy. (and yes, I realize Michael McKean played that role brilliantly)
Man that's harsh. No compassion at all for Chuck's mental illness? What if he had cancer?

Man that's harsh. No compassion at all for Chuck's mental illness? What if he had cancer?

Having a mental illness gives him carte blanche to be a piece of shit? His little brother adored him, waited on him hand and foot for years, did everything he asked of him, and Chuck just took advantage of him while secretly hating him. If he truly disliked his brother for the way he acted in his misguided youth then fine, be done with him, but don't take advantage of his kindness. What did Jimmy ever do to his brother? Chuck hated Jimmy because he was an asshole and everybody liked Jimmy more. He hated him because he was a fantastic lawyer with a gift that everyone saw but he didn't go about his law career in a way that Chuck saw fit. Yah, f that guy. He went out like Jimmy predicted and as he deserved, alone.

Reactions: shortbus
Chucks hatred for Jimmy was mainly due to the fact that their mom loved Jimmy more and she never realized that Jimmy was a screw up/grifter.

F'n fantastic show!

BTW, I certainly had mixed emotions about Chuck. Brilliant, A-hole, yet obviously suffering from mental illness. Kind of sad how he went out. And... I believe his last statement to Jimmy was to protect Jimmy. Chuck obviously cared for him, see opening scene.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT