ADVERTISEMENT

2020 2021 Line up predictions

From my understanding, he was asked to leave so I’m assuming he will be transferring. This was from a source that is very tied in and hasn’t been wrong before but I haven’t seen it mentioned by anyone else.

Same convo, I also heard we will never get another kid out of collinsville while John Smith is the coach.
Did he give any indication about where he might transfer?

There are going to be talented kids coming through Collinsville whose dream is to wrestle in that orange singlet. A butt hurt and bitter HS coach won’t change that.

Maybe but the Gary Wayne Harding transfer deal really left a sour taste in the community

Reactions: lincolnhs
Maybe but the Gary Wayne Harding transfer deal really left a sour taste in the community

I don’t doubt that. I just know several involved in that community (wrestling, the school and other scholastic sports) who are big-time OSU and John Smith fans.

These situations are always overblown and time always helps. This won’t stop an OSU kid or one who dreams of wrestling here in the slightest.

This isn’t the first story of a coach getting upset with a college or college coach across a bunch of different sports and again usually it is overblown and proves over time to have VERY little effect in any aspect.

Gary Wayne, like many others in the past, left to find a spot in the lineup, which he would not have had with Picc and Fix. It happens. I have never heard him say anything about John, or John say anything bad about him.

Gary Wayne, like many others in the past, left to find a spot in the lineup, which he would not have had with Picc and Fix. It happens. I have never heard him say anything about John, or John say anything bad about him.
I looked at archives and Gary started at 133 his first 2 years and his soph. year he took 4th at the Big 12 and was 0-2 at Nationals. Just glancing thru results Kaid beat him in Opens twice soundly. Heil was at 41, Pic at 25. There was not any position for him. Coach Smith talked several times about how hard he worked and tried but it would have been hard to not recruit over him. I wonder what the problem was? Did we resist him transferring? I think he transferred to UNC with Coleman and maybe wrestled 1 year there?

I looked at archives and Gary started at 133 his first 2 years and his soph. year he took 4th at the Big 12 and was 0-2 at Nationals. Just glancing thru results Kaid beat him in Opens twice soundly. Heil was at 41, Pic at 25. There was not any position for him. Coach Smith talked several times about how hard he worked and tried but it would have been hard to not recruit over him. I wonder what the problem was? Did we resist him transferring? I think he transferred to UNC with Coleman and maybe wrestled 1 year there?
According to the OU board John tried to bring in a lawyer to keep him from transferring.

But A: that doesn’t sound like John
And B: the people on the OU board are straight up delusional

I actually asked Seth Duckworth about it and he said that he’d never heard of anything like that. So IDK. Maybe they’re mad that he was recruited over?

The story I heard from the community was that he resisted the UNC transfer and wasn’t going to let him go there originally.

The story I heard from the community was that he resisted the UNC transfer and wasn’t going to let him go there originally.
If we did resist the transfer that was a poor decision by Coach Smith. Hard for me to believe that Coach Smith would resist since the obvious right thing to do would be to let Harding transfer.

If this is true it’s a bitter disappointment and is just another high end talent that we have failed to develop or that has left.

Coach Smith certainly can’t be held responsible for every kid who can’t get their crap together but he is an example of what has been an issue within our program recently and a major part of our backslide.
My view is that we have not had much luck turn our way in wrestling for over 10 years. Injuries especially but also some wrestling careers have not developed like they should have. We need to start catching some breaks hopefully in the near future. Although this year alone has to be a killer for Iowa and their fans. Whereas everything seems to flow Penn. St. way especially this year when they are down. Of course most of wrestling breaks are how you recruit and develop wrestlers but there is luck involved also. This year with our commitments and targets we had an unbelievably bad year with injuries and getting nosed out at State Tournaments. If G is gone it makes it even more important to get Voinovich to wrestle 49. Speaking of possible bad moves by us does anyone see our top recruit this last year filling 41 or 49 for us ( Balmeceda). His lack of conditioning seemed so evident but as has been said before he is very young and hopefully he improved a bunch as the year progressed.

Is their tension between OSU and Collinsville...yes to some extent!!
Does time heel all wounds...yes eventually!!
Does this make it harder to land a certain 2022 prospect? Yes to a degree
Does it make it impossible to land a certain 2022 prospect? Absolutely not

These kids are going to make best decisions for themselves at the end of the day.

G leaving/dismissed isn't all that surprising if its true. The young man has been heading in the wrong path the last 12-18 months. Hopefully, he can get his act together whether it's here or somewhere else. He's too damn talented.

As far as GWH...the truth is in the middle. Kid actually has nice things to say about John Smith, but at the same time the young man was simply recruited over. He didn't get the shaft, but just wasn't good enough to stay in the lineup. There are folks down there that don't see it this way, which is sad. I mean what's Collinsville going to do...send all their wrestlers to OU. Look at Christian Moody. Kid had decent talent, but wasn't developed there. Not the 1st time there's tension between a college, and a HS. You see this all the time in every sport. Some tend to hold grudges, but like I said, with time all wounds heel and all is well and good.

According to the OU board John tried to bring in a lawyer to keep him from transferring.

But A: that doesn’t sound like John
And B: the people on the OU board are straight up delusional

I actually asked Seth Duckworth about it and he said that he’d never heard of anything like that. So IDK. Maybe they’re mad that he was recruited over?

It's false..its more of the later

Ok here is my line up prediction; caveat what others have said, I think its best to RS all freshman.

125 Witcraft or Burks = ??
133 Fix = Top 2
141 Hone or Balmaceda = top 10
149 Boo = Top 4
157 Sheets = Top 7
165 Wittlake = Top 3
174 Montalvo or Stitlka = Possible Top 10
184 Geer or Montalvo = Top 6
197 Geer or Kaufmann = Top 8
285 Streck = Top 10

Not bad but not what OSU needs or what the expectation is for OSU when they step on the mat.

If are freshman are ready to go from working hard before the season starts we could have Plott at 174 = possible Top 4 and Ferrari at 197 = possible Top 4

Ok here is my line up prediction; caveat what others have said, I think its best to RS all freshman.

125 Witcraft or Burks = ??
133 Fix = Top 2
141 Hone or Balmaceda = top 10
149 Boo = Top 4
157 Sheets = Top 7
165 Wittlake = Top 3
174 Montalvo or Stitlka = Possible Top 10
184 Geer or Montalvo = Top 6
197 Geer or Kaufmann = Top 8
285 Streck = Top 10

Not bad but not what OSU needs or what the expectation is for OSU when they step on the mat.

If are freshman are ready to go from working hard before the season starts we could have Plott at 174 = possible Top 4 and Ferrari at 197 = possible Top 4
Brock at 141? top 4

I would like for Brock to be our 141 but what do you think the chances are he comes back?
very good. He is ready and raring to go. This shutdown of everything hurts him, but I am sure he is finding a way to continue rehab and get his timing back.

very good. He is ready and raring to go. This shutdown of everything hurts him, but I am sure he is finding a way to continue rehab and get his timing back.
I'd think would help him, generally not 100% of where your going to be till ~1yr after ACL surgery.

I'd think would help him, generally not 100% of where your going to be till ~1yr after ACL surgery.
I don't know what he has at home, but apparently the weight room and wrestling room are close, so I based hurt on not being able to continue with his normal rehab.

I don't know what he has at home, but apparently the weight room and wrestling room are close, so I based hurt on not being able to continue with his normal rehab.

At this stage, he can do his rehab in a storm cellar. Now Wrestling, that's going to be tough.

At this stage, he can do his rehab in a storm cellar. Now Wrestling, that's going to be tough.
He has probably been thru most all the ACL specific rehab, so now just doing what all others are doing. However, I'm betting due to the ACL and comeback he is more motivated to find a way to continue weights, getting stronger etc. than the other guy. No one is wrestling so ...

The guys who want to train and wrestle all across the country will continue to do so. It might look a little different but they won’t stop training.
And where do you think they are going to do that?

And where do you think they are going to do that?

In the same wrestling rooms they have been working out at the last month. Now it might change to a degree over the next 3-4 weeks but you are crazy if you think college and RTC rooms have been empty these past few weeks.

In the same wrestling rooms they have been working out at the last month. Now it might change to a degree over the next 3-4 weeks but you are crazy if you think college and RTC rooms have been empty these past few weeks.
With Olympics moved to 21 I can't image that any RTCs would be open given state restrictions etc and there's no way university rooms could be open.

With Olympics moved to 21 I can't image that any RTCs would be open given state restrictions etc and there's no way university rooms could be open.

Many RTC rooms are college rooms and privately and quietly many have been open. Again, that could change king forward but high level athletes will find ways to access gyms and workout partners if wanted.

Many RTC rooms are college rooms and privately and quietly many have been open. Again, that could change king forward but high level athletes will find ways to access gyms and workout partners if wanted.
That is absolutely crazy! If true someone or multiple individuals should be fired. Knowing the OSU coach, AD and president I can't believe, and certainly hope not the case, it is occurring at OSU.

Look at the situation in Eagle county Colorado and in Spain, all because some think sports/recreation is more important than anything else. :(

Reactions: mtnpoke1
If this is true it’s a bitter disappointment and is just another high end talent that we have failed to develop or that has left.

Coach Smith certainly can’t be held responsible for every kid who can’t get their crap together but he is an example of what has been an issue within our program recently and a major part of our backslide.
I wouldn’t blame too much on coach smith, he expects a lot out of his wrestlers and wrestlers that want to work and put forth the effort will like his no-nonsense approach. Even he said, this is his best team he has ever recruited and look what he has done year in and year out with mostly local boys. The more I get to know coach, the more impressed I am with him.

Reactions: oberebo
There are so many unknowns with next year's lineup. The ones the are on my mind are the following:

1. Will Fix go 125? That is close to where he will be competing for the Olympics but is it too big of a cut to make for an extended period?

2. Can Brock make 133? He had a very hard time the one season he spent up at 141. Has he grown into 141 enough to not get out muscled? Is 133 even a possibility or is it now too big of a cut?

3. Will Gfeller still be on the team? I have heard conflicting stories.

4. Who gets the call at 174?

5. Will Geer hold off Ferrari at 197?

6. Do we see Streck at 285?

Reactions: osu2082 and driad
There are so many unknowns with next year's lineup. The ones the are on my mind are the following:

1. Will Fix go 125? That is close to where he will be competing for the Olympics but is it too big of a cut to make for an extended period?

2. Can Brock make 133? He had a very hard time the one season he spent up at 141. Has he grown into 141 enough to not get out muscled? Is 133 even a possibility or is it now too big of a cut?

1. I think so

2. I would think he can still make it.

3. Probably not

4. I saw someone mention that Plott was told to be ready to go at 174.

5. I wouldn’t be surprised if Ferrari beat Geer in a wrestleoff. I think it’d be best for him to redshirt tho.

6. No idea.

1. Don't think so.
2. No-he will be a full size 141
3. Don't think so.
4. Plott, Surber, or Stika if those two redshirt.
5. Hopefully, Ferrari redshirts
6. If not, probably Doucet?

Just guessing.

Maybe I'm unduly influenced by watching twitter vids of Ferrari lifting immense amounts of grown man weights, but I'm not getting the "he needs to redshirt" drumbeat. If the rust of not being on the mat is too much, then yes, probably.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Maybe I'm unduly influenced by watching twitter vids of Ferrari lifting immense amounts of grown man weights, but I'm not getting the "he needs to redshirt" drumbeat. If the rust of not being on the mat is too much, then yes, probably.

Probably depends on the staff and how they see the next 4-5 year run shaping up. There is the very real potential for a 2-3 year title run after next year and balancing that and working to maximize that will play a role in any decision.

You are not wrong. AJ is a top 5-6 guy, potential NC contender right away at 197 in my (somewhat educated) opinion but could be in the conversation as a 4 timer with a RS. Coach has also said next year he plans to put the best guy out there and I just can’t imagine that AJ won’t fit that description.

We will still have a Geer a returning AA who should continue to grow into a really good 197.

How many 197lb AAs has he beat in the last year or two?

I am in big favor of a redshirt if at all possible. The first year in college generates a ton of washout in students and student/athletes.

In Wrestling, it is very different than HS and can be tough to adapt as a young, mentally developing man.

JMO, but we said a ton of similar things about Marstellar.

If he is going heavy eventually as some has said then RS bulk up and get ready for it. It seems like I’ve seen somewhere he is around 220# now. Get him up to around 245# and used to the weight.

if he is going 197# that needs to be his career if he can pull and maintain that weight. If he is top in the room then no RS lets go.

I just want to see us put a heavy out there that is at least 245# and would rather be 260# - 270# that can move. White was really lite his Jr yr and was usually smaller then top wrestlers his Sr yr but had good speed and skill to of set that

It seems much easier to predict success on heavier weight wrestlers. Marstellar had other issues that were problems. Ferrari seems to have a more stable family environment. I would love to see him compete as a four time champion. Rarely do you have a very highly ranked P4P 197 pounder. He should be very competitive as long as he is healthy

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT