ADVERTISEMENT

BIG XII Bylaw Summary

1.4.1 Rights of Members. Except for any Member that has Withdrawn (as defined below), or is subject to Sanctions (as defined below) to the contrary with respect to any right, each Member, in its capacity as a member of the Conference, shall have the right and obligation, and only the right, to: (i) certify to the Conference the name of its Chief Executive Officer (as defined below) and have such individual automatically appointed to serve as a Director on the Board of Directors; (ii) receive distributions of Conference revenue in accordance with these Bylaws and the Rules; and (iii) participate in Conference athletic events in accordance with these Bylaws and the Rules.

Summary: Unless the school (Member) has Withdrawn or is Sanctioned every school gets to name their CEO and the CEO becomes a Director on the BoD.

1.5.2 Actions Requiring the Vote of a Majority of Disinterested Directors and a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors.
(a) The following actions may be taken only if approved by the affirmative vote of a Majority of Disinterested Directors (as defined below):

(1) Development and revision of long-range plans for the Conference;
(2) Approval of any contract of the Conference that can be expected to involve more than ten percent (10%) of the income or expenditures for the Conference for a fiscal year;
(3) Hiring, termination, and the employment (including approval of the terms of any employment agreement) of the Commissioner of the Conference;
(4) Approval of the operating budget of the Conference for each fiscal year;
(5) Initiation or settlement of any litigation involving the Conference;
(6) Selection and discharge of the accounting and law firms for the Conference; and
(7) Selection of the location of the headquarters of the Conference, including the location of the real estate and approval of real estate leases.

(b) The following actions may be taken only if approved by the affirmative vote of a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors (as defined below):

(1) Amendments or modifications to the role and authority of the Board of Directors and the Advisory Committees (as defined in the Rules);
(2) The dissolution, liquidation, winding-up, merger, sale, or transfer of all or substantially all of the assets of the Conference;
(3) Admission of a new Member or amendment of Section 1.2.2, 1.2.3, or 1.2.4 above;

(4) Sanction of any Member, as set forth in Section 3 below;
(5) Any action with respect to a Withdrawing Member as set forth in Section 3 below;
(6) Approval or modification of contracts for the provision of teams to bowl games in intercollegiate football; and
(7) Approval or modification of: (i) Section 2 below or any other policies and procedures relating to the revenue distribution to the Members; and (ii) the establishment and funding of, terms or, maintenance of, and release or dissolution of, any reserves funded with Conference assets or revenues pursuant to Section 2.5 below.

Summary: First, this outlines the voting governance for the conference and what requires a majority vote and what requires a super majority. Super Majority will be defined below, but not that dissolution and admission of a new Member require super majority. Second, it introduces the concept of Disinterested Directors which will also be defined below.

1.5.2.2 As used in these Bylaws, the following terms shall apply:
(a) The term “Disinterested Director(s)” with respect to any issue shall mean each person who: (i) is then duly qualified and serving as a member of the Board of Directors pursuant to Sections 1.5.3 and 1.5.4 below; (ii) is the Director representative of a Member that has not Withdrawn and has not been precluded from voting on the matter in question as a Sanctioned Member; and (iii) is not an Interested Director (as defined below) with respect to such issue.

Summary: A Disinterested Director is a Director from a Member (school) that meets the qualifications and is not a Director from a Member that has Withdrawn or is not an Interested Director (will be defined below)

(c) The term “Interested Director(s)” with respect to any issue means any Director who has personally, or as to which the Member that such Director represents has institutionally, a direct or indirect material interest in the subject matter of the issue (or series of related issues) being considered by the Board of Directors, that, in the judgment of a majority of the other Directors who are not Interested Directors with respect to such issue or series related issues, could reasonably be expected to impact adversely the objectivity of such Director in voting on such issue or issues. The interests that all Members have in common as the beneficial members of the Conference (even if such interests have disparate effects among Members) will not, in and of itself, cause the Director representing such Member to be an Interested Director with respect to an issue or issues impacting all Members as the beneficial members of the Conference. Any Director who has been determined to be an “Interested Director” in accordance with the foregoing may appeal such determination only in accordance with the following: (i) such Director shall submit a written appeal to the Commissioner and the highest ranking officer of the Board of Directors who has not been determined to be an Interested Director with respect to such issue, if any; (ii) the Commissioner and such highest ranking officer (if any) shall mutually determine and promptly notify such Interested Director with respect to their (or if there is no such officer, the Commissioner’s) determination on the matter, which determination shall set forth whether such Director is deemed to be an “Interested Director” on the matter in question; and (iii) the determination made by the Commissioner and any such highest ranking officer of the Board of Directors shall be final and binding on the Director(s) appealing the initial determination by the other Directors.

Summary: The Directors can with a majority vote deem one of the Directors an Interested Director if the Director in question cannot be objective in their voting. Also not the bold language, does this preclude a vote to deem a Director an Interested Director for things like dissolution of the conference? Second question, could the majority currently vote that Aggie Lite and UTN (2 ****ers) are Interested Directors for a vote on dissolution or expansion?

(f) The term “Supermajority of Disinterested Directors” with respect to any issue shall mean seventy-five percent (75%) or more of all persons who are Disinterested Directors with respect to such issue, whether or not each is Present at a meeting considering such issue or signs a written consent with respect to such issue.

Summary: Supermajority is 75% or more of the Disinterested Directors. For us non-math geniuses that is 8+ (7.5+) for 10 Directors, 6+ for 8 Directors, and so on.

Great News!

Shram and Weinberg should blow this off on Monday.
Divide the money among eight schools and keep looking for a way to be in a Power Conference. I can’t wait to hear our leadership’s “We hit a home run” press conference for landing these losers. These schools bring nothing to the table in other sports and are not even Top 25 teams every year.

"For the Visitors" return?

We know that the in stadium call was stopped by Mike Holder after Nebraska complained about it. Nebraska leaves, the call didn't come back. Now that Holder is gone, I think there is a very good chance that we hear "Third down upcoming for the visitors." I don't know why I loved that so much, but I did and I've missed it since it was stopped. I truly hope to hear it again tomorrow.

Afghanistan fiasco may have been the result of blackmail

September 3, 2021

Afghanistan fiasco may have been the result of blackmail​

By Shari Goodman

Our political pundits are focusing on Biden's disastrous withdrawal from Afghanistan as a political blunder by the president and our military leaders, but what if the root cause for Biden's withdrawal is much more ominous and sinister than mere stupidity? The following questions demand an answer.

Why would our military commanders willingly give up Bagram, a strategic airport built by the Russians, and why would they willingly leave $85 billion in military hardware behind?

Why would they leave thousands of Americans stranded behind enemy lines while providing the Taliban a "kill list" of those Americans left behind? Unlike previous withdrawals, where it is customary upon withdrawal to first evacuate our citizens, and then destroy the equipment and blow up the bases, we did the opposite. We did not evacuate our citizens. We did not destroy the equipment. And we did not blow up the bases.

We have learned that the Biden administration cut off all communication with the anti-Taliban resistance group, the National Front. Although Ali Nazar, head of foreign relations for the group, has said he "tried to reach out," there has been no response from the Biden administration. Glenn Beck recently reported that his mission to rescue Afghan Christians has been blocked by our State Department and the White House, and he fears that they may be burned alive or crucified by the Taliban.

Are we to believe that our military leadership, led by four-star generals, is so naïve and incompetent? Highly unlikely!

A more likely scenario is that Afghanistan was surrendered at the urging of the Red Chinese, who saw an opportunity to blackmail old Joe for the many kickbacks he and his son, Hunter, had been taking throughout his years in Washington, D.C. It is no secret that the Red Chinese have had their eye on Afghanistan's mineral deposits. Just two weeks before the American surrender, a Chinese delegation met in Kabul with the Taliban. Although the mainstream media have protected and covered for Joe Biden, reports of information contained on Hunter Biden's laptop and emails exchanged between his partner, Tony Bobulinski, and Hunter, are damning proof of illicit wheeling and dealing by the Bidens to provide access to the White House while Joe was vice president.

In a May 2017 email exchange between Hunter Biden and his former business partner, Tony Bobulinski, the two discussed how to cut Joe Biden in on a multi-million-dollar deal with a Communist Party billionaire. In the email, Joe Biden was referred to as "The Big Guy." That email exchange was one of thousands of messages found on Hunter Biden's laptop that he left behind in a repair shop in Wilmington, Delaware in April of 2019. The repair shop–owner turned over the laptop to the FBI, but in a telling sign of the FBI's lack of fidelity to our country, it failed to investigate what was clearly a sign of selling access.

As far back as 2013, Hunter Biden's equity firm scored a $1.5-billion deal with the Bank of China only days after his father paid an official visit to the country. The deal was made at a time when the Red Chinese declared their sovereignty over the South China Sea. Our allies in the region were rightfully upset and voiced their disapproval; thus, it was in that context that Vice President Joe Biden was sent to China to confront the Chinese about their controversial move. He flew to China on Air Force Two along with his son, Hunter, and his granddaughter. However, Joe Biden failed to challenge the Chinese. Instead, he went soft, and, not surprisingly, his son returned to the United States with a $1.5-billion deal.

Surrendering to a terrorist organization, leaving Americans behind enemy lines, providing the terrorists with $85 billion in military aid which they will in return use against us, and blocking the evacuation of Americans are indicative of an administration acting as a proxy for those who seek our demise. Already, there has been a transfer of our left-behind arms to Iran and Pakistan, while secretary of state Antony Blinken has announced our intention to recognize the Taliban as a legitimate government should they renounce terror. Blinken should not need to be reminded that the Taliban is a terror organization, and to drive that point home, they wasted no time in releasing the ISIS and al-Qaeda terrorists held as prisoners while we were there.

Investigative journalist Lara Logan recently stated that instead of holding the terrorists accountable, we are deferring to them on the 20th anniversary of 9/11, the deadliest terrorist attack upon our country. Negotiating with a terrorist organization is forbidden under U.S. law, but with a corrupt DOJ and a spineless Congress, it appears there is no one we can rely upon but ourselves to conduct a proper investigation into the treasonous acts committed by Joe Biden and his band of cohorts.

Is China, by way of a domestic proxy, now dictating American foreign policy? If so, where do we go from here?

Big 12 - Week 1

[Sooners -27] - 11:00 - OU vs Tulane (maybe in Norman? maybe cancelled? see below)
[Wildcats -2.5] - 11:00 - KState vs Stanford (in Arlington)
[Neers -3] - 2:30 - West Virginia at Maryland
[Horns -8] - 3:30 - Texas vs Louisiana (Cajuns ranked #23 preseasons.. should be a good one)
[no spread] - 3:30 - Iowa St vs Northern Iowa
[Raiders -1.5] - 6:00 - Houston vs Texas Tech (at NRG Stadium)
[no spread] - 6:00 - OSU vs Missouri St
[Bears -14] - 6:00 - Baylor @ Texas St
[no spread] - 7:00 - TCU vs Duquesne
[no spread] - 7:00 - Kansas vs South Dakota

Login to view embedded media

So I caught covid

I’ve been back to work and out and about with really no precautions since May 2020. Was set for the vaccine in late spring. I read the moderna fact sheet and decided to hold off. Planned to give it some time. I’m in my 40s and healthy. At risk family was vaccinated.

Shortly after a friend of my wife’s took the Moderna and had a bad reaction. Was hospitalized. Couldn’t return to teach and has since had to quit. Really freaked my wife out.

I decided in July I’d go ahead and get it. So, I signed up. My wife lost it so I cancelled. I brought it up again and she asked that I wait a little longer, at least til it was approved by the FDA. So I did. Was scheduled for last Sunday.

Two weeks ago my daughter gets sick. 24 hour bug. Then my wife gets a minor sinus infection that lingers. Then son gets a 48 hour bug. Wife’s gets worse. Then last week I get it. I got it the worst, arguably. 5 days, low fever off and on. Aches and pains and headache early, then minor cough. Had all the symptoms except shortness of breath and loss of taste and smell. Wife still can’t taste or smell

48 hours fever free now. Still resting. Looks like im over the hump.

Took Vitamin C, D, zinc, and NAC every morning. Emergen C and another NAC during the day, then D, zinc, and NAC at night. Tylenol only when fever approached 100. Also took cough and congestion medicine as needed. Ate chicken noodle soup and drank tons of water. Aleve for the headache.

Rest was huge. I monitored my temp constantly. If I got up to do anything my temp spiked.

The flu for me was significantly worse, but I took this way more seriously. The frustrating part is there is shîtty instruction from the CDC on treatment. Basically says listen to your healthcare provider but guidance out there says not to go unless you have trouble breathing or are delirious. On top of that the fear mongering doesn’t help.

At this same time I have two friends my age in Dallas who are vaccinated and much worse than I am. I’m not saying that bc I think they are worse bc of the vaccine, I’m saying that just bc you have the vaccine, don’t think you won’t get it. Have a treatment plan in place. Stock up on what you need. And if you get it, rest. That was the best medicine in my opinion.

Thought I’d share, for what it’s worth.

Despite being Big Ten favorite, Ohio State cannot stave off dip in season-ticket sales

Can you all please step away from the ledge, this is going to be an issue across the country! Will they sell out their games probably due to single ticket demand and they have huge population around them compared to OSU and being a top 5 team. But please realize that every school is going to have a dip, times are hard financially for many families, COVID is making a come back, and moral may be low for some of our fans becuse of UT-N and UT.

The school said Wednesday that it sold 42,373 season tickets to donors, faculty members and the general public by its renewal deadline on July 1. The figures, which were provided to The Dispatch in response to a public-records request, do not include student tickets.
Reactions: thetruth and tcpoke

Bedlam football 1998

The first year we beat OU at Lewis Field in however many horrible years. I was in 8th grade and rushed the field w one of my oldest friends. Together we helped tear down the goal post and tried to throw it into the OU band (hey it made them stop playing the awful song for a second). One of the best nights of my life spent w a great friend that I’ll never forget. That friend died suddenly last night at 36 years old and that memory is one of many helping today. Just a reminder of what’s really important about OSU football and sports in general. Not conference realignment or the next recruit we get, but the times w friends and family and the memories it gives us. Sorry for the downer post, just helps deal w the grief process.

Get educated on this...US deaths in Afghanistan by US President...@Syskatine pay close attention...Stats don't lie

US military deaths in Afghanistan by President:

Clinton - 1993 - 2000 - 7
Bush Jr - 2001 - 2008 - 557 - 11.60 Per month
Obama - 2009 - 2016 - 1724 - 17.96 Per month
Trump - 2017 - 2020 - 60 - 1.25 per month
Biden - 2021 - ? - 13 - 1.625 per month

Total by Party - R - 617 - 26%
D - 1744 - 74%

Total is 2,361

Data source by year:

Hey @Syskatine, your argument that Reps could give 2 shits about deaths in Afghanistan is a lie and meaningless when 74% of all deaths occurred under the watch of a Dem CIC, and under Trump 2.5% of the deaths occurred. Why did you vote for Obama a second time if this was so important to YOU and he accelerated the death rate his first 4 years over Bush? Seems to me Trump cared greatly about the death rate in Afghanistan as did Trump supporters as he was the first US President to get serious about a competent withdrawal plan. He did not expand the war, he drew down our fighting forces down to 2,500 and was keeping the Taliban in line with air strikes. In sleepy Joe's first 8 months in office he increased the average amount of deaths per month over Trump by 30%.

Don't forget, when the House and Senate voted on the war in Afghanistan, there was only 1 dissenting vote among all congressional members. One. This was a US war in every sense that was never just a Rep or Dem action, numerous budgets were approved over the years by Congress and approved by the President. The public at the time was fully for it. Dems were as hawkish as anyone.

Interestingly enough, Obama increased the slaughter of US soldiers at an unprecedented rate, from 11.60 per month under Bush, to almost 18 under Obama, a 55% increase!!!! Obama fed the war machine and led our boys to slaughter.

Trump did a great job of keeping the death rate down while negotiating a plan that was based on 4 conditions being met for withdrawal, an intelligent plan to leave. Under Trump, we had no deaths since Feb 2020, until Biden became Failure in Chief.

Facts don't lie @Syskatine, your party is the party of death, be it in the womb, in our streets (defund the police and increasing murder rate), unsecure borders (releasing COVID and criminals in our country), or defending US Citizens abroad by leaving Citizens behind to die. Your party gives 2 shits about who is dying, you and your ilk check your watches like Biden as the coffins come home, and Dims mock efforts of those taking it upon themselves to save American lives. All to retain power. You blame Republicans and Trump. Facts don't lie here. Of course Biden who promised to be the great uniter, is the great divider.

Your feeble attempts to gain the high ground politically on Afghanistan shows the moral inferiority of Liberals like you who only care about what they want and how to keep it to the exclusion of others.

Wolken Football Article from USA Today

he touches on just a few of the problems, but they are big problems and no one is acting like the big boy in any of this. Could be the beginning of the end or just a new brand of football.

College football starts season under a dark cloud

The first full weekend of college football is an annual celebration of its pageantry and possibilities. But this year, the start of a new season carries with it a nagging feeling about the future of college sports, a concern felt deep in the gut of so many coaches and administrators across the country that they are no longer in control of their own destiny.

For the longest time, people involved in college sports have understood that fundamental changes were necessary, that the foundation of their system was crumbling under the weight of its own largesse. But in the months since Alabama beat Ohio State 52-24 for the national championship on Jan. 11, the upheaval has come with such a furious punch that even the start of a new season can’t push the larger stakes to the back burner.

“We’re in the proving ground of what college football will look like in the next 20 to 30 years, so it’s that time of unrest,” Missouri coach Eli Drinkwitz said. “We’re just in the formative stages of what the future’s going to look like.”

On their own, any of the pertinent issues swirling around college sports this calendar year would have been significant disruptors to an industry that typically evolves with the speed of a threetoed sloth. Instead, they’ve been hit with the mother lode: A transformative loss in the Supreme Court, a chaotic beginning to the name, image and likeness era, granting one free transfer to every college athlete, the potential expansion of the College Football Playoff, the NCAA essentially abdicating authority on a whole host of issues to the conference
level and Texas and Oklahoma announcing they were leaving the Big 12 for the SEC.

“It’s just so much,” ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit said. “It’s just an avalanche of stuff that’s coming down right now on the sport.”

Herbstreit loves the game so much that he’ll just dive into what happens on the field beginning this weekend and put everything else aside. If college football delivers the way it usually does, the product can carry it beyond the politics of the moment and the dark clouds ahead.

“We just want to see football,” Herbstreit said. “We want to see competition and games and crowds and storylines develop.”

But that only lasts for a moment. The reality is that college football’s fun quirks and absurdities are being swallowed whole by real problems that aren’t being adequately addressed by the current leadership structure. Even more jarring for those in the industry is
that some of the suggested solutions may be too late.

Breakdown in leadership

“We have a lot of things that are confusing, and if we don’t get a handle on some of these things fairly quickly, they’ll get out of control where the only option is not to have any rules at all. I think that would be sad,” said Todd Berry, the executive director of the American Football Coaches Association.

“We need to have some direction, and without direction there’s concern. While we love college football and I’m as excited as anyone to watch the games this weekend, there’s some other things out there that are brewing that are getting worse every day rather than getting better.”

It’s not Monday morning quarterbacking to say that college sports finds itself in this position largely because its leadership stalled on obvious issues and misfired on its legal strategy once cases challenging amateurism rules began to mount.

The Ed O’Bannon v. NCAA case, which completely changed the debate on college athletes being able to earn money off their name, image and likeness, was filed in 2009. It did not take any unique foresight to see that snowball rolling downhill, and yet the NCAA – largely at the direction of college presidents – chose to do nothing until state legislatures started to get involved.

Now, instead of an orderly implementation where everyone understands the rules of the road, the NCAA stared down the point of a legal bayonet and essentially walked away. College athletes have always deserved the opportunity to make money off commercials and autographs, but it has inevitably turned into a free-for-all where the interpretation of what’s allowed varies by state and by school.

“I had a coach call me a couple weeks ago that said he had a booster promising all these high school kids NIL to encourage them to pick State U, so to speak, and these are guys he didn’t even want to recruit,” Berry said.

“We saw it happen in the 1970s and where you’ve got some boosters saying, ‘I can’t afford to buy an NFL team, but I can afford to buy a college team,’ and they’re puffing out their chest right now like they’re the wheeler-dealer and they could have significant control over a program.”

Meanwhile, the one-time transfer – again, something that should have been done long ago – has put coaches in a bind with their roster numbers because it’s simply impossible to predict how many are leaving in a given year. Particularly in the current cycle, where the NCAA granted players an extra year of eligibility due to COVID-19, it’s actually high school players who bear the brunt of the damage because a lot of schools just aren’t going to have the room to take full recruiting classes.

“It’s there in the background all the time because you’re worried about things you can’t control,” Drinkwitz said. “There’s competition that some people’s rules are different than your rules, and there’s always comparisons, and you’re not quite sure what’s going on in your own locker room with NIL and in recruiting. There’s a lot going on right now. You’ve got to recruit your own team, recruit 2023s, figure out how to manage egos with NIL, so it’s a big job, but it’s the job.”

Meanwhile, two legislative subplots will unfold on parallel tracks during this college football season. One of them is the NCAA’s so-called constitutional convention where a group of administrators will attempt to essentially rewrite the rulebook in hopes of keeping the organization together. The other involves a potential standoff over College Football Playoff expansion.

SEC’s power rattles industry

Not only did Texas and Oklahoma bolting from the Big 12 change the conference landscape – instead of five power conferences, there will functionally only be four in the immediate future – but the SEC’s concentration of power has completely rattled the industry.

Though the announced “alliance” among the Pac-12, Big Ten and ACC was light on specifics, it was a natural reaction to the perceived threat of the SEC ultimately luring more high-profile schools and essentially breaking off to form its own entity apart from the traditional college sports structure.

Even if the alliance has stopped that threat for now, Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC essentially means the eight remaining Big 12 schools will be knocked down a tier in terms of financial strength and prestige.

Over the long haul, that will mean people losing jobs and less relevance on a national scale for proud institutions and athletic departments that had ambitions of winning championships. In the short term, it means the proposal floated in June for an expanded 12-team playoff is likely to be slowed down considerably as the three alliance commissioners work together to tilt the structure of the playoff toward their interests rather than handing a gift basket to the SEC.

It’s hard to argue any of that works to the benefit of the sport. And yet, it’s very much where we are as the 2021 season begins.

“At some point for the fans and all of us who follow it, they’ve got to knock these walls down and work together,” Herbstreit said.

“If they’re not going to have one voice as the commissioner, they have to figure out a way to put their personal feelings aside and come tighter and lead this sport.”

• Poll
September Poll of the Month: Rebounds

Leading rebounder '21-'22

• Ice

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Cisse

Votes: 40 51.3%
  • Kalib

Votes: 12 15.4%
  • MAM

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Keylan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • T. Smith

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Newton

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • None of those guys. It will be someone not so tall and completely out of the blue.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Looks like I forgot to post an August Poll. Oops.

Who do you dudes think will lead the team in RB this season?
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT