ADVERTISEMENT

When bad things happen to bad people

Inky29

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jun 2, 2001
kind of makes me a little happy. I know it shouldn't but man I had a client (key word is had) who always complained about the price of his policy and that I wasn't working hard enough to find him a better deal ( couldn't be further from the truth). I contacted him about his upcoming renewal and unfortunately, it's going up 30% (20 million worth of property in North Texas). Sadly that's really not that much of a rate increase. So he basically told me off and said he was going with another agent who said I was way too high.

Long story short, his new agent didn't know what he was doing so he could only find something twice as much as what I had originally offered. He came crawling back and I kindly passed on working with him again. He's now stuck with the higher premium because he waited until the last minute to come crawling back. Might have taken him back if he would have just apologized but no reason to work with someone who is an abusive ahole.

If you are going to be in the insurance business in Texas you are probably going to need to development thicker skin. People who work their asses off their whole lives to build businesses and are frustrated when their premiums get jacked 30% aren't "bad people".

If you are going to be in the insurance business in Texas you are probably going to need to development thicker skin. People who work their asses off their whole lives to build businesses and are frustrated when their premiums get jacked 30% aren't "bad people".

Did you actually read his post? Because this answer implies you didn’t actually read his post.

Reactions: Cowguy
Only been doing it for 25 years, trust me I've got thick skin and absolutely hate having to sell a rate increase. This had more to do with the guy being an a-hole and pretty much berating me and my account manager. Didn't believe the rate comparison quotes I put together for him and said we were lazy because his "buddy" who had just started in the industry told him that I just wasn't quoting with the right carriers. I even sent him an agent of record letter so his buddy could just take over my quote, but his buddy didn't have near the carrier contacts so he couldn't write it. Unfortunately, people don't realize I do not have to work with everyone that calls in. I was over the top polite and just told the guy that I didn't think it was a good fit personality-wise for us to work together and that it would be best for him to find another agent/agency to work with. Sadly most folks have no clue about the commercial insurance market or how it works. I spend so much time educating my clients on how the industry really works, some listen, some do not.

Oh and this guy hasn't worked all his life to build a business. He's a member of the lucky semen club who was born on third thinking he hit a triple.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT