ADVERTISEMENT

What is your favorite whisky or whiskey?

Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is a top 10 (probably) or 20 for me. The Extra is good for a change of pace.

I like several of their beers quite a bit: Brown Shugga', Undercover Investigation Shutdown, Maximus, NightTime. The IPA was sweet the other day.

Little Sumpin' Sumpin' is a top 10 (probably) or 20 for me. The Extra is good for a change of pace.

I like several of their beers quite a bit: Brown Shugga', Undercover Investigation Shutdown, Maximus, NightTime. The IPA was sweet the other day.

I brought home some "sucks" brown shugga' substitute from Texas. Really, really good.

There were a couple lagunitas on tap last visit to skinny slims.

Would it be gloating to state that I live about 7 minutes from a Total Wine?
I am as well. Just a quick zip over from Walnut Hill and Hillcrest vicinity to the 75 service road and make the U-turn at Park.

For whiskey, I like the Bushmills 10 year single malt. I don't go through a lot, but my wife and both enjoy it, so we always have a bottle at home. I had a really nice Texas whiskey at Tate's recently and need to find out what it was again. (Tate's is a nice little whiskey/cocktail bar in Uptown.)

On the beers, I usually have Little Sumpin Sumpin at home and Deep Ellum IPA when out at a bar.

I am as well. Just a quick zip over from Walnut Hill and Hillcrest vicinity to the 75 service road and make the U-turn at Park.

For whiskey, I like the Bushmills 10 year single malt. I don't go through a lot, but my wife and both enjoy it, so we always have a bottle at home. I had a really nice Texas whiskey at Tate's recently and need to find out what it was again. (Tate's is a nice little whiskey/cocktail bar in Uptown.)

On the beers, I usually have Little Sumpin Sumpin at home and Deep Ellum IPA when out at a bar.

Was the Texas whiskey from Balcones? Texas 1 Single Malt or Baby Blue or Rumble?

I live just north of Kentucky and have worked on several whisk(e)y brands. I've cupped Maker's Mark in my hands straight from the barrel during the dead of winter.

I've finished a few bottles in my lifetime

There is a big difference in quality sometimes. Other times people get caught up in the nice packaging or marketing people put out. There are very few bourbon bottles worth more than $30. There are a load of choices in the 20s that are worth the money.

KevKev, I believe you're correct about the pricier bourbons. Can you share with us a few more expensive ones that you feel ARE worth the added cost?

Was the Texas whiskey from Balcones? Texas 1 Single Malt or Baby Blue or Rumble?
I just toured the Ranger Creek Brewstillery this past weekend. Excellent tour, very educational and I liked how they are doing their business .. you could have 3 full beers or 2 beers and whiskey tasting.

I may need to try a few of their beers as they had about 5 on tap and most of those were hopped up .. Quite a few Barley Wines (not available to taste on the tour).

The Bourbon and Single Malt were pretty damn good and I'm not either one of those guys, I like Rye. Of course it could be like numerous Oklahoma wine tasting I have been on .. tastes pretty good at the tasting but you get it home and it tastes like crap.

First: I work with Beam Suntory through an advertising agency.

Here is a quick list of getting what you pay for at various price ranges:
Bookers, Blanton's single, 1792, Old Fo, Weller, Knob Creek (pretty much an style), Maker's (any style), Hancock Pres Reserve, Elijah Craig 18, Black Maple Hill 16

Basically, Bourbon is so well regulated by law and by people (mostly of KY) that there is a lot of "pretty good" options.

I do feel that there are a few bottles that look pretty that people should never buy, though. I don't think I should specify that part.

Thanks! Good to see Blanton's make the list. Blanton's and Makers are my bourbons of choice.

Any suggestions as to a local spot for bottle purchase? Biergarten or parkhills?...or other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Was told Breckenridge Bourbon is very good. Bought a bottle today. Hope I wasn't misguided

You should try Koval if you can find it. Organic, kosher, small batch. They use 'lost' grains like spelt, oat, and millet. They have single-barrel ryes, as well as single-barrel four-grain, which are short-aged yet smooth as butter. It's based on the traditional central European technique I'm told. They also have a white rye, which is pretty rare. They distribute in DFW and KC. Oklahoma someday maybe.

Reactions: mseabolt
Bringing this back up because I had this a few days ago and my goodness it is good.

51lz_cnital__sl500_aa300_large.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT