ADVERTISEMENT

What did OU's Drake Stoops say about pass interference no-call vs. OSU?

OKSTATE1

MegaPoke is insane
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Edmond, Oklahoma

What did OU's Drake Stoops say about pass interference no-call vs. OSU?​

Justin Martinez
The Oklahoman

STILLWATER — Drake Stoops was almost sitting on the ground by the time the ball reached him.

That's the predicament the OU wide receiver found himself in Saturday afternoon. OU trailed by six points with five minutes left in a road game against OSU, and Dillon Gabriel heaved a prayer toward Stoops in the corner of the end zone.

OSU's Dylan Smith was in coverage, and he pulled Stoops to the ground by the right arm before the ball arrived. Stoops somehow made a one-handed grab, but he was ruled out of bounds.

Smith didn't celebrate once he popped back up on his feet. He stared at the referee for a brief moment instead, almost as if he was expecting to be called for pass interference.

But there were no flags on the field, and OU had to settle for a field goal on the following play. It was a crucial no-call for the Sooners, who ultimately suffered a 27-24 loss.

"I felt like I was getting held on the out and up," Stoops said. "I ran out a couple times, but they didn't call it."

The no-call was equally perplexing for OU head coach Brent Venables, who was asked about it after the game.

"I thought that was what interference was," Venables said.

Stoops finished the game with career-highs of 12 receptions and 134 receiving yards to go along with a touchdown.

It was a strong performance by the former Norman North standout, who was named a team captain for the rivalry game.

But as OU fell short in what'll be the final Bedlam game for the foreseeable future, Stoops couldn't help but look back at that crucial play late in the fourth quarter.

"At the end of the day, I still feel I caught the ball," Stoops said. "I felt like I had feet in bounds and caught it with one hand. I would at least like to see a review, but it's water under the bridge now.

"I can't do anything about it, but it's disappointing."

• Haha
Reactions: MegaPoke
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News