ADVERTISEMENT

US OPEN

That’s a bummer they won’t run all ten weights out there but I guess it wouldn’t make sense. Would be kinda cool to have a bunch of non hammers wrestling for a true third seat IMO. If they wanted to of course.

Was curious so wrote down the U20 open champs and their colleges (some are current and some are commits**)

Lilledahl - PSU**
Bouzakis - tOSU
Kasak - PSU**
Shapiro - Cornell**
Mesenbrink - PSU**
Arnold - Iowa**
Berge - SDSU
Darrah - Stanford
Mcdanel - Nebraska**
Carroll - OSU**

These kids will face the winner of the WTT in a best of 3 for a chance at u20 worlds. June 3rd in Ohio

U17 worlds was based off the champs - including Lockett.

U23 worlds will be based off of WTT at same time as U20s.

Reactions: CowboyUp61
I finally got around to watching a lot of our guys US open matches. Liked what I saw from Carroll, Thompson and Hughes. Jordan Williams on the other hand worries me. He has all the tangibles athletically speaking, but what worries me about him is his lack of focus during the match. I noticed this in a couple of his matches at Southern Scuffle and definitely noticed it in his last match at the open. It almost seems like mentally he's somewhere else for stretches and lets little things effect him in his demeanor on the mat. It says to me that there might possibly be a lack of drive mentally. I really hope we start to see some improvement and consistency out of him in that area next year. Sometimes that comes with a little more maturity.

I finally got around to watching a lot of our guys US open matches. Liked what I saw from Carroll, Thompson and Hughes. Jordan Williams on the other hand worries me. He has all the tangibles athletically speaking, but what worries me about him is his lack of focus during the match. I noticed this in a couple of his matches at Southern Scuffle and definitely noticed it in his last match at the open. It almost seems like mentally he's somewhere else for stretches and lets little things effect him in his demeanor on the mat. It says to me that there might possibly be a lack of drive mentally. I really hope we start to see some improvement and consistency out of him in that area next year. Sometimes that comes with a little more maturity.
He can take down anyone, when you can do that the rest will come with the season on varsity.

what worries me about him is his lack of focus during the match
I completely know what you're talking about here. I wanted to look at his results and see if there was anything more tangible to that feeling. The comeback win was impressive. Don't feel like he lost focused, just put himself in bad spots and a more experience wrestler took advantage. But, the more talented guy ended up with the win. The loss to Paniro is simply that JW had no offense for him, not much more than that to me. I would be surprised if that changes this year too. Not sure PJ can stay at 149 for his career though too. The second loss was the only one where I feel like he mentally wasn't up to it. He can beat that kid, which as you can see below would be or would have been a good win.

13-3 (3:00)
10-0 (3:58)
14-13 - incoming rSO from West Point that placed 4th at EIWA championships. Williams was down 13-7 with 1:05 left and won this match. Great comeback win, but can't ignore being down 13-7 too.
12-2 (5:37) - incoming rFr at tOSU (backup)
0-5 - Paniro Johnson incoming rSO at ISU, '22 big 12 champ, went 1-2 at NCAAs, considered top10 '23 at 149
4-4 L on criteria - Arrington from NCSU - same kid who knocked VV out of NCAAs last year. Wrestlestat has him at #9 for this year but I think that's just because he made the blood round at NCAAs.

It’s a legitimate concern and the only knock on him as a prospect. He has all the talent in the world. Just needs to be fully bought in with the right attitude.

Reactions: bwel9339
JW will be fine don’t lose any sleep over it . He hasn’t wrestled an official college match yet.

Reactions: JAY45
JW since high school has shown a habit of losing focus and losing when he shouldn’t. If he figures out how to break this habit he will be damn good

Last edited:
JW since high school has shown a habit of losing focus and losing when he shouldn’t. If he figures out how to break this habit he will be damn good
He will get it figured out and like I said he hasn’t had one college match yet

He will get it figured out and like I said he hasn’t had one college match
Well let’s hope John has got that sorted out before his first real college match against real college wrestlers!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT