ADVERTISEMENT

University Nationals

Austin Schafer was 5th in the Greco at 97kg.
Qtr Final match ups for OK State
57kg Gary Harding v. Brock Hudkins UNI
65kg Dean Heil v. Robbie Mathers sunkist
65kg Kaid Brock v. Thomas Thorn Mn.
80 kg Jacobe Smith v. Dylan Lyday
86kg Keegan Moore v. Dakota Geer Edinboro
day 1 is in the books.One change in my scoring. Kaid Brock went behind Edgar Bright 4-0 on a four point move and then came back in the first period for a four point move and then an inside trip to his back for the pin. Score table had it 8-4 but he got the pin on his 2nd 4 point move. He was noticeably smaller than Edgar Bright.

Last edited:
Reactions: osu2082
Qtr Final match ups for OK State
57kg Gary Harding v. Brock Hudkins UNI
65kg Dean Heil v. Robbie Mathers sunkist
65kg Kaid Brock v. Thomas Thorn Mn.
80 kg Jacobe Smith v. Dylan Lyday
86kg Keegan Moore v. Dakota Geer Edinboro
day 1 is in the books.One change in my scoring. Kaid Brock went behind Edgar Bright 4-0 on a four point move and then came back in the first period for a four point move and then an inside trip to his back for the pin. Score table had it 8-4 but he got the pin on his 2nd 4 point move. He was noticeably smaller than Edgar Bright.

Thanks again Obe.

As the coach says, you always want a little bit more, but a pretty good showing all in all. I respect and appreciate the efforts by everyone competing in the off season.

These are some deep brackets. Geo has won 5 matches on the back side and he's not even halfway to taking 3rd.
**update**
He just won his 6th consolation match, only 5 to go. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: oberebo
Thanks again Obe.

As the coach says, you always want a little bit more, but a pretty good showing all in all. I respect and appreciate the efforts by everyone competing in the off season.

These are some deep brackets. Geo has won 5 matches on the back side and he's not even halfway to taking 3rd.
**update**
He just won his 6th consolation match, only 5 to go. :eek:
Brock and Heil lose in the qtrs. Jacobe Smith, Keegan Moore and Gary Harding win and are in the semis. Keegan has National champion Myles Martin in the semis. Jacobe Smith wrestles Deat Skatzka.

Brock and Heil lose in the qtrs. Jacobe Smith, Keegan Moore and Gary Harding win and are in the semis. Keegan has National champion Myles Martin in the semis. Jacobe Smith wrestles Deat Skatzka.

Brock was attacking and very aggressive he was just noticeably smaller than Thorn which is to be expected. Thorn was able to counter and convert off Brock's attacks.

He also got choked unconscious and came right back to wrestle!

Brock was attacking and very aggressive he was just noticeably smaller than Thorn which is to be expected. Thorn was able to counter and convert off Brock's attacks.

He also got choked unconscious and came right back to wrestle!
Brock lost to Findlay in the consos 10-0 on 5 head pinches. Heil forfeited his conso match.l Gary Harding lost to Terao 10-0 tech fall in the semis and is in consolation.

Brock lost to Findlay in the consos 10-0 on 5 head pinches. Heil forfeited his conso match.l Gary Harding lost to Terao 10-0 tech fall in the semis and is in consolation.
Jacobe Smith in the finals! He dec. Skatzka 11-6 in the semis. Keegan Moore lost by tech fall to Myles Martin in the Semis. Smith is incredibly strong.

Jacobe Smith in the finals! He dec. Skatzka 11-6 in the semis. Keegan Moore lost by tech fall to Myles Martin in the Semis. Smith is incredibly strong.
Smith wrestles Jordan Kutler of Lehigh in the finals. Keegan Moore and Gary Harding in the consolation semis.

Brock may have been a little foggy from that previous match and got stuck in a head pinch and bam it was over quick.

Smith is a very talented wrestler. Strong and quick enough to be creative and aggressive in his attacks.

Smith loses to Kutler 10-5. Looked very fatigued.
Gary Wayne Harding finished 3rd and had a great tournament. He had a 15-5 tech fall in his final match against Sean Russell. Keegan Moore was also in the 3rd place match at 86 kg but lost to Priesch and finished 4th. Three wrestlers placing 2,3,4. Congrats to all our wrestlers for a great showing.

LETS GO POKES!

Thank you for the updates
You are very welcome. One more thing about Gary Wayne Harding. He was third and in his conso semi-final match he beat Ethan Lizak 12-5 and in the 3rd place match he had a tech fall over Sean Russell. Pic lost to both of those wrestlers last year and Lizak schooled him. This is freestyle and I am not predicting that Harding will beat out Pic for the spot, only saying that those were two very impressive wins.

Harding, Smith and Moore were all very impressive this weekend.

Heil and Brock were about as expected IMO considering Heils style and Brock bumping up in weight.

Would have loved to see Picc, Joe, and Chandler here.

You are very welcome. One more thing about Gary Wayne Harding. He was third and in his conso semi-final match he beat Ethan Lizak 12-5 and in the 3rd place match he had a tech fall over Sean Russell. Pic lost to both of those wrestlers last year and Lizak schooled him. This is freestyle and I am not predicting that Harding will beat out Pic for the spot, only saying that those were two very impressive wins.

Some thoughts...
Geo lost that first match to Tsirtsis, but he had some real nice attacks against a good defensive wrestler.
Agree about Gary. I'm a big Picc fan, but if Gary can hold 125 effectively he could make it interesting.
Somebody needs to show Kaid how to defend the head pinch (McKee used to hit him with it also) :(. But he is tough, has a ton of skills and wrestles fearlessly.
Dean is obviously raw in FS but he can get to legs when he commits. Big upside for him in free if he wants it.
Jacobe looks more like a 165 than a 174, but he is explosive. A 1 time state champ, I read that he only started wrestling in 9th grade. The progression his last few years has been remarkable and I don't expect it to end anytime soon.
Keegan is improving, already better than last month.

Congrats to all the Cowboys competing!

Some thoughts...
Geo lost that first match to Tsirtsis, but he had some real nice attacks against a good defensive wrestler.
Agree about Gary. I'm a big Picc fan, but if Gary can hold 125 effectively he could make it interesting.
Somebody needs to show Kaid how to defend the head pinch (McKee used to hit him with it also) :(. But he is tough, has a ton of skills and wrestles fearlessly.
Dean is obviously raw in FS but he can get to legs when he commits. Big upside for him in free if he wants it.
Jacobe looks more like a 165 than a 174, but he is explosive. A 1 time state champ, I read that he only started wrestling in 9th grade. The progression his last few years has been remarkable and I don't expect it to end anytime soon.
Keegan is improving, already better than last month.

Congrats to all the Cowboys competing!
Just a thought and I believe the wrestlers and coaches could be thinking about it. Chandler can wrestle up because of his style and skills. I wonder if there is any thought of switching their weights?

Just a thought and I believe the wrestlers and coaches could be thinking about it. Chandler can wrestle up because of his style and skills. I wonder if there is any thought of switching their weights?

In the article below from November, coach says the plan is 174 for Jacobe, but maybe that changes? As HS seniors, Chandler was at 170 and Jacobe was at 160. Also, going by the always reliable "eye" test ;), he looked no bigger than Lewis (who was at 165) or a suped up Kutler (who was at 157). No doubt they'll figure it out.

Link:
http://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/...cle_d15a68a8-af96-5a76-bafa-210a5725e93e.html

Chandler does have a pretty tough (but manageable) cut to 165. A full offseason focus of adding good weight might be interesting for Chandler.

Smith is a not a large 174 but has the strength and athleticism to hang right up there with the top of that class.

Reactions: Wrassler17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT