ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on bad calls against OSU

Old Number Nine

Starter
Jan 20, 2005
I know I'm an OSU homer but it seems to me our wrestlers have been screwed quite a few times. It happened so many times I can't remember them all. Seems like Gfeller took the brunt of it with a couple in both matches but somehow came out on top. However, I don't think we lost any of the matches because of these bad calls. John was so mad at times I can't believe he wasn't deducted a team point; maybe he was.

He was the most upset when, after a review on mat 1 (don't remember our wrestler), the obvious takedown was waved off and Smith went balistic. The ref walked over to him a raised two fngers toward him. I thouhgt he was signaling two team points deducted but he was saying the call was a two point takedown. That might be the only review that went our way.

I haven't noticed any bad calls against other teams but I don't watch the other matches when we are on the mat and not all anyway.

The officials have been terrible. There was an AF/SDSU match where the ref awarded a match tying TD in the last 3 seconds when no escape should have been given. Fortunately the AF guy won in SV anyway.

I was sitting in section 120 w/ a bunch of OSU faithful. There was a lot of whining about several straight forward calls, e.g. G did an illegal cut back.

Just from what I overheard, it seemed like a lot of folks didn't understand the rules or were following John Smith's lead (That dude whines a lot).

... and our fans seemed to ignore the calls that went our way, e.g. the stall call on Prata when he and Mastro were in a scramble or when G kepr pushing the OU guy to the line, Iowa-style, with only objective being to draw stall.

I didn’t like some of the calls but every fan from every school probably feels the same. Overall the reffing was fine. Do the refs sometimes make mistakes and get it wrong, yes they do just like the wrestlers and coaches do too.

I was sitting in section 120 w/ a bunch of OSU faithful. There was a lot of whining about several straight forward calls, e.g. G did an illegal cut back.

Just from what I overheard, it seemed like a lot of folks didn't understand the rules or were following John Smith's lead (That dude whines a lot).

... and our fans seemed to ignore the calls that went our way, e.g. the stall call on Prata when he and Mastro were in a scramble or when G kepr pushing the OU guy to the line, Iowa-style, with only objective being to draw stall.
G has great offence off the underhook-when the guy isn't running away. And that is what fans do. They aren't objective. Prata was stalling the second after he got the escape, and stalled the next 4:56.

The officiating was OK-not great, not real bad. But when bad calls are made, coaches get upset. Saying someone fighting for their team is whining says a lot about someone-and it isn't the coach. Pretty sure John understands the rules better than most.

Reactions: tfpoke
John is a member of the NCAA wrestling rules committee, so I think he has a decent grasp of them.

In my opinion, I know that I’m a big-time homer but there were 2 officials who did not belong at that event. Both were slow and deliberate on making any calls and that creates confusion. We all want the correct calls made but it has to happen at that moment and not 3-5 seconds later.
The ref in the 125 Finals was always late in getting to his spot. During the first period scramble, one wrestler had his back exposed and it took the ref a couple of seconds to get to his vantage point and another second to get on the mat. He then started his count and got to 2 when the wrestler rolled over. The top wrestler got 2 back points when he should have been awarded 4. It didn’t change the match but it easily could have.

I was shocked when it happen so I probably wasn't thinking straight but how did Surber not get four?

G has great offence off the underhook-when the guy isn't running away. And that is what fans do. They aren't objective. Prata was stalling the second after he got the escape . . .

Re G: Maybe, but you don't thinkprevious match went into his match strategy. Of course it did.

Re Prata: Agree, but he wasn't stalling when it was called.

Re whining: I want to preface this by saying that Surber wasn't stalling vs ISU. He was standing in there and wrestling with his hands. You don't have to shoot to be active. But, can you imagine the reaction if the shoe were on the other foot? 4-5~ shots to none in the last 45 or so?

I'm just not sure that charging the mat everytime there is a tough call helps any more than it hurts. You could argue that when a coach is pleading his guy's case, his wrestler will feel supported. At the same time, it might make the wrestler feel the coach's panic and that the refs have it in for him.

I know what smith was doing, i.e fighting for his guy. I was talking about the fans
most fans are not cognizant of the intricacies of the rules. And they are fans-like I said before, mostly not objective.

As for Prata, no attempt to score, lock up and eat time, is stalling. Textbook, rule book, and common sense. G's match strategy is pretty common. Underhook, get the guy to to try to clear, when he does shoot. Backing up from the hook is not necessarily stalling. Running away from it is, and should have been called at least 5 times.

You are correct that shooting is not required to not be stalling. Engagement and trying to set up for a score is required.

Reactions: je55m00r3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT