ADVERTISEMENT

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Lovett said that OSU was recruiting him and John Smith came to his house. Lovett's dad was star-struck and by the time he left Dad had made his decision. Ridge was somewhat less impressed. Dad was dumbfounded: how could you turn down the GOAT? Ridge says "Jordan Burroughs."
recruits today were not even born when John Smith was wrestling. No one goes to OU because of Danny Hodge today.

They absolutely have to have someone behind the scenes taking notes and game planning. I heard the other day Coach smith day he doesn’t even look at the bracket or know who his guys are wrestling first round. I get that it doesn’t matter, just go out and win but that’s a very old school approach and the sport has changed a lot. Scouting matters, knowing and exposing opponents weaknesses matters.
There is no reason to do that with today’s technology. And maybe he isn’t doing it but Perry/Espo better be.

And yet RBY never gets called for stalling
Nothing pisses me of worse than some of the calls these refs make. Surber against Ordndorff yesterday for example. Surber got called twice for backing off the mat, and rightfully so, shortly after on the edge of the mat, same situation and it was called a stalemate. I thought the ref called it a stalemate just so Orndorff couldn’t pick up another which would have gotten an ass chewing from our bench.
Stalling calls with 15 seconds left in the match when the stalling has been going on for a minute.
Not calling stalemates with 10-15 seconds left in the period just to let the period run out.
Stalling on the leg 5 count. I’ve seen them count 5 and then stop action and I’ve seen 5 count and the action continues.

I think calling stalling on the big boys for lack of action is ridiculous based off their style but constantly backing up is different. Surber calls were a little premature. RBY stalling is a lack of action, he stays in position well and has good mat awareness as to not get caught being pushed out. But yet has zero offense in the match. Very excited for the rematch in about 25 min. Let’s go Daton!!

Does mark munoz’s boy wrestle at Oregon St?

Imagine with NIL if Fix and AJ go elsewhere?
If true, I don't know what to say. Check that. I know what to say: That's dumb as sh*t.
i would not doubt it.he is old school and would probably say all we need to worry about is ourselves.Old school thinking gets you stuck in a rut.Especially when there is all kind of film and technology available.

No, I wouldn’t be cool with it. I question a lot of things going on.

1- Did Jordan Oliver develop?
2- Did Alex Dieringer develop?
3- Did AJ Ferrari develop?
4- Did Nick Nevilles develop?
5- Did Mason Manville develop?
6- Did Brady Berge develop?

Did Derek White develop? Was the correct decision made for his career at Oklahoma State?

They are getting 3 studs to our 1. That has to change and has been getting better. If we aren’t getting the recruits we go after, changes have to be made.
Spot on. It's the number of elite recruits psu gets compared to others that is a huge difference. If you guys had 5 AJ Ferrari level guys in the lineup it would be a different discussion. In reality most schools end up with 1 maybe 2 of those guys. Elite wrestlers can make coaching look easy. As you listed PSU has even had elite recruits do nothing, no AA but with the volume of guys they get it doesn't matter.

Reactions: JAY45
Spot on. It's the number of elite recruits psu gets compared to others that is a huge difference. If you guys had 5 AJ Ferrari level guys in the lineup it would be a different discussion. In reality most schools end up with 1 maybe 2 of those guys. Elite wrestlers can make coaching look easy. As you listed PSU has even had elite recruits do nothing, no AA but with the volume of guys they get it doesn't matter.
It’s not that difficult to figure out. Hopefully Plott is ready to be a Nick Lee type. Fix, Plott, and Ferrari. Need at least 1 more probably 2 to have a shot.

They absolutely have to have someone behind the scenes taking notes and game planning. I heard the other day Coach smith day he doesn’t even look at the bracket or know who his guys are wrestling first round. I get that it doesn’t matter, just go out and win but that’s a very old school approach and the sport has changed a lot. Scouting matters, knowing and exposing opponents weaknesses matters.
I've been (internally) harping on this for years. Teams are getting smarter about scouting opponents and adapting their styles to win matches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT