ADVERTISEMENT

Salt Plains

mad4osu

All-Big12
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2002
The salt plains hunt was absolutely awesome. Shot 3 bucks on the hunt and 1 buck at a place farther west in Feedom. Two of the bucks were just pretty good/decent bucks. 1 buck was really good and the 4th buck was a REALLY nice deer, easily the heaviest horned buck I have ever had my hands on. Easily, the best deer hunting weekend of my life. We hunted unit F

Pics? Where is unit F or better yet, where is a map that shows all of the SP units?

Jeff has the pics, I am computer useless. F is across the road from the headquarters, behind the maintenance shed. It is an AWESOME unit. We did not receive a map with all of the units marked only a aerial of the unit we hunted with an outline. I would like to somehow see a breakdown of the units as well.

Congrats on the hunt! I would love to know is this a limited draw area? and do you apply for it in the spring? bow or gun?

Thanks

yes limited draw, you apply in spring, I think the cutoff is in May. You can request bow, BP or Rifle.

You have to kill a doe first on this hunt. I was the only one in my group of 4 that did not kill a doe on Friday afternoon, the first time you can hunt. Between 2:30 and 5:15 on Friday I saw 6 different bucks, two of which, had I been able to shoot them, would have been the largest bucks of my life. Both of those bucks were 160 class bucks. I was finally able to shoot a doe on Saturday morning and shot my buck about 10:00 on Sunday morning, he is smaller but still respectable for a public ground buck.

We stayed at a farmhouse in Cherokee, so lodging was Free! Most people that hunt this stay in either Cherokee or Jet. The wardens were not very forthcoming with advice/information. As a matter of fact it seems that they take measures to insure doe harvest and complicate buck harvest. In addition to having to harvest a doe first, they do not allow pre scouting. It is, in essence, only a two day hunt. You get one full day and two half days for hunting. Their set up almost certainly insures that you are at least going to see mature bucks. Now, wether you will be able to shoot one or not is a completely different story. Next to elk and antleope hunts, this is the longest odds hunt in Oklahoma to draw out on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT