ADVERTISEMENT

Reason for optimism

Ok_Longhorn

Commitment
Jan 10, 2021
We have a great recruiting class for 2023 with multiple guys that are college ready. I could very well see 2 maybe 3 guys starting as true freshman. Weight by weight projection for next year.
125 Witcraft: full year at 25 will help seed and consistency flashed at big 12 can definitely be a round of 12 or low AA next. Who knows what the weight class looks like nationally especially with it being an Olympic year
133 Fix: I think the best thing for fix to do would be take an Olympic redshirt and come back in 2025 shrink his body so making 57 kg is more manageable go win an Olympic gold freestyle is definitely his better style with his top game and the step out rule. That would mean that we start Cael Hughes as a true freshman at 133. I think it’s a good idea because I’m not sure he’s going to be able to hold 133 so probably going to move up to 141 eventually. there would be kinda a log jam if he just did a traditional redshirt.
141 Redshirt carter and let Alvarez wrestle his senior year. Alvarez could AA or he could go 1-2 honestly have no idea but Carter does need time to heal and coaches would bring in Alvarez for no reason.
149 I expect a big jump from VV. He was in a lot of close matches this year and will get has 3 years of eligibility left could definitely see a multiple time AA. VV has great leg attacks and will figure out how to finish it’s the little things.
157 Hopefully Jordan Williams puts on some good weight this offseason and locks down this spot. He has the frame to at least be a 157. Very offensive and had a decent southern scuffle. Lost to march from NDSU 10-9 in the quarters but was down 6-0 and got multiple takedowns to get back into the match. Also had a solid win round 1 over qualifier from Maryland. Backside loss was to a veteran who is tough. Definitely going to have growing pains throughout the year but at next years ncaa when the lights are bright he could very well show out.
165 This is the weight I’m worried about most I have no clue the gameplan but a solid transfer would be nice but no idea.
174 They have options here but my hope would be redshirt Plott let wittlake drop down to 174 Plott has 2 years left so let the weight thin out a little bit. Also with the talent we’re bringing in we will be a lot better 2 years from now when he will be entering his last year. Wittlake looked outsized a lot at 184 but at 174 I think he could be a legit AA contender. He had a brutal draw at the ncaa tournament this year.
184 Hopefully we see a new face in Brayden Thompson. Very solid in the hand fight not going to get worked over by anyone definitely a full 184. Will win a lot of close matches for osu over his career and could gain very valuable experience wrestling as a true freshman.
197 Surber will continue to improve. Great wrestler with a great attitude and effort. Had flashes this year and will continue to improve.
285 Hopefully another fresh face with Christian Carroll. Carroll could AA no doubt in my mind. Love Doucet but Carroll is already on a different level. Carroll has good offense and good defense. Physical in the hand fight.

Overall I’m disappointed by the 2023 ncaas but John smith should still be the coach at osu no doubt 2 bad ncaa is not the end of the world. Next year I think we finish 6-10 range but the next year after I think we can win it all Penn state loses a lot after 2024

I definitely think there’s room for optimism. Granted, I’m programmed to think that way, but still. This year seven out of 10 of our lineup were new either to the lineup or to their weight class. The Ferraris blew a big hole up in our lineup and Mastro dipping out was a pretty big “wtf” too. So this season was a scramble from the beginning. Cats need to come in ready to blow it up - not just win D1 matches but redefine and elevate wrestling. And everybody on the squad or incoming should be well aware that it’s on them to get the wins.

I would like to see Perry do less matside coaching… or at least study up on different styles. I don’t remember the Smith brothers or any other assistant coaches being as constantly vocal as Perry is. It has to be distracting, a bit. And Perry’s style is heavily based in using tie-ups which is both boring and predictable. Shots from space and freaky level changes use to be OSU bread and butter but they rarely happen with Perry matside. Meanwhile lots of wrestlers are having success with the misdirection tactics that we used to use so effectively. If someone takes zero shots in the first period they should be benched or something lol

We have a great recruiting class for 2023 with multiple guys that are college ready. I could very well see 2 maybe 3 guys starting as true freshman. Weight by weight projection for next year.
125 Witcraft: full year at 25 will help seed and consistency flashed at big 12 can definitely be a round of 12 or low AA next. Who knows what the weight class looks like nationally especially with it being an Olympic year
133 Fix: I think the best thing for fix to do would be take an Olympic redshirt and come back in 2025 shrink his body so making 57 kg is more manageable go win an Olympic gold freestyle is definitely his better style with his top game and the step out rule. That would mean that we start Cael Hughes as a true freshman at 133. I think it’s a good idea because I’m not sure he’s going to be able to hold 133 so probably going to move up to 141 eventually. there would be kinda a log jam if he just did a traditional redshirt.
141 Redshirt carter and let Alvarez wrestle his senior year. Alvarez could AA or he could go 1-2 honestly have no idea but Carter does need time to heal and coaches would bring in Alvarez for no reason.
149 I expect a big jump from VV. He was in a lot of close matches this year and will get has 3 years of eligibility left could definitely see a multiple time AA. VV has great leg attacks and will figure out how to finish it’s the little things.
157 Hopefully Jordan Williams puts on some good weight this offseason and locks down this spot. He has the frame to at least be a 157. Very offensive and had a decent southern scuffle. Lost to march from NDSU 10-9 in the quarters but was down 6-0 and got multiple takedowns to get back into the match. Also had a solid win round 1 over qualifier from Maryland. Backside loss was to a veteran who is tough. Definitely going to have growing pains throughout the year but at next years ncaa when the lights are bright he could very well show out.
165 This is the weight I’m worried about most I have no clue the gameplan but a solid transfer would be nice but no idea.
174 They have options here but my hope would be redshirt Plott let wittlake drop down to 174 Plott has 2 years left so let the weight thin out a little bit. Also with the talent we’re bringing in we will be a lot better 2 years from now when he will be entering his last year. Wittlake looked outsized a lot at 184 but at 174 I think he could be a legit AA contender. He had a brutal draw at the ncaa tournament this year.
184 Hopefully we see a new face in Brayden Thompson. Very solid in the hand fight not going to get worked over by anyone definitely a full 184. Will win a lot of close matches for osu over his career and could gain very valuable experience wrestling as a true freshman.
197 Surber will continue to improve. Great wrestler with a great attitude and effort. Had flashes this year and will continue to improve.
285 Hopefully another fresh face with Christian Carroll. Carroll could AA no doubt in my mind. Love Doucet but Carroll is already on a different level. Carroll has good offense and good defense. Physical in the hand fight.

Overall I’m disappointed by the 2023 ncaas but John smith should still be the coach at osu no doubt 2 bad ncaa is not the end of the world. Next year I think we finish 6-10 range but the next year after I think we can win it all Penn state loses a lot after 2024
Damage control at its finest. Screams desperation in that strategic post. Someone is now trying to do their job? How about facts instead of speculation. Simple. NCAA compliance and/or OSU (somebody/anybody) monitor the room. One night at the bar before a competition or match will give you clear insight of the complacent efforts. Facts people. Go straight to the athletes themselves! They are the ones who have to endure the embarrassment of a so called “coach”. Every year John Smith stays on he gets richer and OSU gets the shit end of the deal. There is no recovery from such an all encompassing (on every level) damaging reputation for OSU. That is where the damage control needs to be applied. It will be a matter of time before John’s ethics are made public and everyone who helped to keep him “content” should be fired along with him.

I have heard some stuff but it’s the wrestlers too. The party culture has gone on for a long time. And by the way, I wouldn’t count on Thompson coming in or staying long if he does. Lots of bad juju there.

I will become optimistic when John tells Perry, Espo and Calcagno to hit the road and replaces them with guys from outside the OSU family.

Reactions: duke-of-earl
I have heard some stuff but it’s the wrestlers too. The party culture has gone on for a long time. And by the way, I wouldn’t count on Thompson coming in or staying long if he does. Lots of bad juju there.
We seem to be attracted to the ones with baggage.

Reactions: bwel9339
Sad to see so many people with great intentions of pouring money into a program and being shit on and they don’t even know it. More damage control. So obvious. Clever in a different name. Cael not only knows his wrestlers inside and out so he is aware if it is happening; he educates them on success and is an inspiration to them with his reputation. They strive to be like him in life. He is a man of intelligence, honor, integrity and class. That is why his program produces elite athletes. Not rocket science: positive environment creates positive actions. Negative environment creates nothing. 0!
Exactly where OSU is rated. Embarrassing for all those being mislead. Hopefully, they will wake up at some point and be more cautious of the programs they are getting mixed up in. Everyone at this point should start to be held accountable for making excuses as to why the program is failing.
“A efficient head coach asks himself what is HE doing wrong or failing to do if his athletes are not competing well?” We all know John’s answer EVERY time. The rest is self explanatory…Narcissism at it’s finest.

I will become optimistic when John tells Perry, Espo and Calcagno to hit the road and replaces them with guys from outside the OSU family.
John is the problem. Do yourself a favor and talk to one of his athletes before you post something so irrelevant. These are people’s lively hoods. You can’t crucify the people who actually get down and dirty working and praise the one who walks around like they are an asset to a program by showing up to drink and rant! Cael is a different breed of class and work ethic. He would never allow such poor sportsmanship on the mat by his athletes. John has mastered that class act. These athletes need someone to feel proud to win for.
Hmmmm…????

Reactions: CowboyTanker
Hmmm, I think I said that and was basically laughed at 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: vhsalum
OP is correct in that two bad years isn’t the problem. The problem is the failure to adapt to the current college wrestling landscape. Failure to promote and build an elite RTC. Failure to embrace NIL. Failure to change training methods and coaching styles. We are still OSU. We can still attract elite recruits. However, until our program is brought out of the 1990s mindset, we will continue to search for 35. John has shown he isn’t willing to make such changes

John is the problem. Do yourself a favor and talk to one of his athletes before you post something so irrelevant. These are people’s lively hoods. You can’t crucify the people who actually get down and dirty working and praise the one who walks around like they are an asset to a program by showing up to drink and rant! Cael is a different breed of class and work ethic. He would never allow such poor sportsmanship on the mat by his athletes. John has mastered that class act. These athletes need someone to feel proud to win for.
Hmmmm…????
If John is the problem and I’m not saying he isn’t at least part of it then you better be ready for some real lonely years at the bottom. You will lose half the roster, commits and recruits. And if John’s gone then get ready for a program overhaul. You ain’t keeping everyone on staff but John.

If John is the problem and I’m not saying he isn’t at least part of it then you better be ready for some real lonely years at the bottom. You will lose half the roster, commits and recruits. And if John’s gone then get ready for a program overhaul. You ain’t keeping everyone on staff but John.
This isn’t the right mindset. We just finished 18th. Would 24th one year to rebuild be that much worse?

You don’t approach situations like this out of fear of what MIGHT happen. You make the decision based on what IS happening. If a rebuild is required, and it is more than likely, so be it.

Could care less if we lose a lot of the roster. New coach will hit the portal. Outside of Daton and Plott we don’t have an AA on the roster and don’t see any of this years starters reaching that level.

Burn it down and get some new blood in
Agree. We don't have much on campus and look how fast ISU and Iowa post Gable bounced back. I am afraid Weiberg knows the least about wrestling and therefore will assume John is doing what is necessary. He is likely thinking OSU doesn't have the money right now to go pay what it will take to get the best,but I am sure several coaches would take a pay cut to come to OSU.

Reactions: gif tannen
Agree. We don't have much on campus and look how fast ISU and Iowa post Gable bounced back. I am afraid Weiberg knows the least about wrestling and therefore will assume John is doing what is necessary. He is likely thinking OSU doesn't have the money right now to go pay what it will take to get the best,but I am sure several coaches would take a pay cut to come to OSU.

John’s pay is among the top in the college wrestling world. Salary shouldn’t be a deterrent in the event we are looking for a new coach.

Reactions: JAY45 and bwel9339
This morning I was revisiting the completed brackets and final results from this years tournament and I wanted to highlight a few points that might soften the blow slightly for what was a very disappointing performance for the Cowboys. I am not writing this to make up excuses or to be a homer Mr. Positive guy or even to make light of some concerning issues we face. I just want to simple state some facts about some of our guys results.

For starters, OSU qualified all 10 weights. Out of those 10 weights I personally believe we had a chance to realistically have 3-4 guys AA. Fix and Plott were chalked at their respective seeds for me and the others in the mix were Gfeller, Wittlake and Surber. We ended up with 2 AA's and underperformed expectations.

Basically we had 3 guys, Young (Knee), Gfeller (Shoulder), and Wittlake (Arm infection) who were either hurt coming in or not at full health and 1 guy (Witcraft) who got hurt and MFOR out early.

Then you had Sheets and Doucet who nobody expected to do much. So that leaves 4 guys who were healthy and capable of making some noise. 2 guys AA'ed Plott and Fix and 2 others, Voinovich and Surber who both went 2-2. VV wrestled to his potential, probably should of beat the NCST kid and Surber who came up short of what he should of done. VV had a tough first round draw against 8th PL Blockhus but did beat #9 Abas. Surber beat Harvey from ORST who beat him earlier in the season. Both still IMO underperformed, more so with Surber.

Health has been a problem for this team for a couple of years now and it has really reflected on the final team standings. It seems like these injuries are happening later in the season for us. It makes sense that the coaches need to take a hard look at reducing the schedule and practice time the last 6 weeks or so to keep these guys fresh and peaking at the right time. Not one of our guys "Peaked" and not one of our guys looked or wrestled their best all year. I am not making up excuses for the ones who were hurt or just not at full health, but you cant expect anyone to make the podium at nationals or even score many team points if you are not healthy and forced to absolutely wrestle your best. This tournament is only getting harder ever year with the extra year of eligibility and with so many true freshman coming in primed and ready to make a run now more than ever before it wont get any easier.

Hopefully the fact that 10 qualifiers translated into the worst performance of all time, will put to bed the use of that metric as anything of value.

I am generally an orange kool-aid guzzling optimist, but I have never had this difficult of a time imagining a path to 35. I'm not going to get into the coaching philosophy discussion because my street cred stops at being a shitty high school wrestler, but I can tell you from a sports business perspective (something I have a little bit of experience with), we are making it borderline impossible for our administration to grow the fanbase, raise money, etc. OSU has always struggled with letting coaches operate with zero accountability - especially the alums - and this is proving to be no different.

Obviously we have to improve in the room, but the issues are systemic and the operation needs a complete overhaul. If he wants, John can be a part of that and I would love nothing more than for him to lead us in the transition, but if not, we most certainly need to change the name of this board, because there are at least 10 other programs not named Penn State that are doing it better than we are.

Wrestling interest and support has dwindled so much, that we aren't ever at risk of not being a top 20 program, but what happens the next 5 years in the room and on the front office side will probably determine if we are ever getting to the top of the podium again.

Hopefully the fact that 10 qualifiers translated into the worst performance of all time, will put to bed the use of that metric as anything of value.

I am generally an orange kool-aid guzzling optimist, but I have never had this difficult of a time imagining a path to 35. I'm not going to get into the coaching philosophy discussion because my street cred stops at being a shitty high school wrestler, but I can tell you from a sports business perspective (something I have a little bit of experience with), we are making it borderline impossible for our administration to grow the fanbase, raise money, etc. OSU has always struggled with letting coaches operate with zero accountability - especially the alums - and this is proving to be no different.

Obviously we have to improve in the room, but the issues are systemic and the operation needs a complete overhaul. If he wants, John can be a part of that and I would love nothing more than for him to lead us in the transition, but if not, we most certainly need to change the name of this board, because there are at least 10 other programs not named Penn State that are doing it better than we are.

Wrestling interest and support has dwindled so much, that we aren't ever at risk of not being a top 20 program, but what happens the next 5 years in the room and on the front office side will probably determine if we are ever getting to the top of the podium again.
Hey. Shouldn't you be making amazing memes right now? Love the page (assuming you're the same Gif Tannen)

Fair points though. I don't know anything about sports business. But wrestling is growing in many places so we could probably do well to mimic what they're doing in addition to the changes in the room.

I can't speak to the current partying style but I can from 1999-2004. I saw most of the team out on the strip drunk during the offseason.I would also not see them as much in season but they still came out. My roommate also partied regularly with the assistant who got in trouble due to alcohol.

Hey. Shouldn't you be making amazing memes right now? Love the page (assuming you're the same Gif Tannen)

Fair points though. I don't know anything about sports business. But wrestling is growing in many places so we could probably do well to mimic what they're doing in addition to the changes in the room.
Haha, sadly i am one in the same and appreciate the comment.

This whole process has been gut wrenching because I love Coach Smith and everything that he represents with Cowboy Wrestling. I'm not close with coach, but I've had interactions going back to my time at OSU as the wrestling beat writer and he is all class... legitimately a great human. I just hate to see a window of opportunity missed where we could be fundraising and growing the brand because coach is too humble/old school/stubborn to adjust.

What happened with Cecil O'Brate is a perfect example of how we are only one donor away from changing things financially and I hope that we don't let the brand drop any further because if Coach got on board, we can raise all the funds and then some.

I can't speak to the current partying style but I can from 1999-2004. I saw most of the team out on the strip drunk during the offseason.I would also not see them as much in season but they still came out. My roommate also partied regularly with the assistant who got in trouble due to alcohol.
I too witnessed the glory years and the partying that accompanied. Not saying alcohol abuse isn't a real concern, but college kids partying isn't what is keeping us from being elite.

I spent time at both OSU and OU in the early 2000’s and I will say with my own personal experience that the OU wrestlers were out at the bars and frat parties far more than the OSU guys. This was also around the time OSU wrestling was on top.

I too witnessed the glory years and the partying that accompanied. Not saying alcohol abuse isn't a real concern, but college kids partying isn't what is keeping us from being elite.
You and I have probably bumped into each other?

Johnny Thompson is an acquaintance/college friend because he was out...didn’t effect him as a wrestler outside of ranking matches.

Hammers hammer, that’s that!

OU became a teetotaler school later. Don’t know now. Smoking dope, gaining 50+ pounds of pure fat, then cutting most of it and having poor strength is a poor recipe for success….

Reactions: DPJ
Funny how a guy at Northern Colorado can get so much better and win without the “best” partners in the room. Must mean self discipline and coaching go a long way.
Alverez was a high level recruit. He has improved as his freshmen year was pretty rough, but he was projected to be on the podium.

Alverez was a high level recruit. He has improved as his freshmen year was pretty rough, but he was projected to be on the podium.
True, but we have had plenty of guys who are high-level recruits as well that come here and don’t even achieve near what he has with less resources

Reactions: CowboyTanker
True, but we have had plenty of guys who are high-level recruits as well that come here and don’t even achieve near what he has with less resources
Totally postulating but I think being on the OSU squad is a end goal for a lot of guys. They get on the team and then expect that the program and D1 grind will elevate them. It can, but I think these days there's so many different styles in wrestling that you need to be a student of the sport as a whole to have high level success (freestyle, international, fundamentals, funk, judo, BJJ). As a fan it seems like our squad generally has a similar style which works against some opponents but not against others.

There's a geographic component too. More postulation but OK State is best program within 300 miles and they don't want to go too far from home. Here's where our 2022-2023 squad came from according to the OKstate roster page:

oklahoma
24​
texas
2​
kansas
3​
california
1​
montana
2​
NJ
2​
utah
1​
wisconsin
1​
ohio
3​
missouri
1​
oregon
1​
iowa
1​
louisana
1​

24 out of 43 recruits are from OK. 30 out of 43 are from surrounding states. The remaining 13 are from elsewhere in the USA. That's not uncommon though. I peeked at Iowa and Cornell's rosters and the geographic makeup is similar. And I think its why there's been such a push to get elite HS wrestlers to come to Stillwater before their college career - strengthen the local recruit pool, which is certainly a reason for optimism.

I made a post about this about a year ago and stated some of the same things. That we are really good at getting the top local guys but struggle to land top recruits from the NE and Pennsylvania area. I think you can say that's one reason PSU has consistently got top recruits with the state of PA being a hot bed for some of the best high school wrestlers and programs.

Totally postulating but I think being on the OSU squad is a end goal for a lot of guys. They get on the team and then expect that the program and D1 grind will elevate them. It can, but I think these days there's so many different styles in wrestling that you need to be a student of the sport as a whole to have high level success (freestyle, international, fundamentals, funk, judo, BJJ). As a fan it seems like our squad generally has a similar style which works against some opponents but not against others.

There's a geographic component too. More postulation but OK State is best program within 300 miles and they don't want to go too far from home. Here's where our 2022-2023 squad came from according to the OKstate roster page:

oklahoma
24​
texas
2​
kansas
3​
california
1​
montana
2​
NJ
2​
utah
1​
wisconsin
1​
ohio
3​
missouri
1​
oregon
1​
iowa
1​
louisana
1​

24 out of 43 recruits are from OK. 30 out of 43 are from surrounding states. The remaining 13 are from elsewhere in the USA. That's not uncommon though. I peeked at Iowa and Cornell's rosters and the geographic makeup is similar. And I think its why there's been such a push to get elite HS wrestlers to come to Stillwater before their college career - strengthen the local recruit pool, which is certainly a reason for optimism.
That has helped some, Stillwater, Edmond North and Bixby all finished in the top 10 nationally this year in wrestling. Oklahoma has talent, the problem is in Stillwater at the Oklahoma State facility. Our guys new high level athletes to push them, and right now they aren’t getting that. A legit RTC changes everything. Whether Coach Smith wants it or not he better get behind it now or get use to sitting outside the top 10.

Further, Stillwater and Edmond North were like #3 and #4 Nationally. The talent is right there in the back yard.

Further, Stillwater and Edmond North were like #3 and #4 Nationally. The talent is right there in the back yard.
And there is plenty of talent coming up. I see it. I coach at Union, I see the same thing that I see at OSU. Our top guys have no one to push them. Bixby, Stillwater, BA and Edmond North just flat out look and work different than we do. We have some talent, don’t get me wrong but it’s all top end. Our guys train to beat the guys in our room, they aren’t training to beat Bixby and those kids. It was so frustrating watching our kids half it in practice because they were the best in our room.

Reactions: bwel9339 and JAY45
That has helped some, Stillwater, Edmond North and Bixby all finished in the top 10 nationally this year in wrestling. Oklahoma has talent, the problem is in Stillwater at the Oklahoma State facility. Our guys new high level athletes to push them, and right now they aren’t getting that. A legit RTC changes everything. Whether Coach Smith wants it or not he better get behind it now or get use to sitting outside the top 10.
Imagine what it would be like training with JO, Dieringer, and Derek White daily. Most of your other matches would seem like slow motion. We need an NIL guy and a RTC guy.

Imagine what it would be like training with JO, Dieringer, and Derek White daily. Most of your other matches would seem like slow motion. We need an NIL guy and a RTC guy.
Iron sharpens iron, I challenged my kids everyday to wrestle someone better than them. You get better when you face someone better than you.

Let me know when John actively gets behind our RTC. “Actively behind” defined as publicly supporting and fund raising. Stating a vision and plan to take our RTC to an elite level should be a requirement for the job of OSU head wrestling coach. Chad needs to relay those expectations and replace John if he balks.

It really is baffling to me why he won’t get behind the RTC. He was a big freestyle guy. That’s where he made his name.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT