ADVERTISEMENT

Next years roster

I could see it because I don't believe he has developed much since he was a true freshman. He is a tremendous talent on his feet but is weak in the bottom position and he is fairly good in the top position. Kaden Gfeller with freshman development could beat him next year. Despite Kaid's talent on his feet he gives up a lot of takedowns and gets thrown to his back way too often. To me it depends where Fix goes. Picc did not develop his sophomore year and not only did he lose but he got destroyed by Lee and Lizak at Nationals. I want the young guy Gfeller wrestling because he is our future and he may have more potential. However it also could be Gfeller at 49 if he grows and then Picc and Kaid would be wrestling and Lewallan would be out. Basically who knows about our lineup next year.

I don't know that I could say for sure that G has more potential than Brock and I'm a huge fan of G. You are talking about a kid who has a real shot to be a 4x AA and will be in the conversation for the next two NC's. Sure he needs to develop but there aren't many sure things in college wrestling.

If they could all maintain the weight and keep their conditioning I would like to see Fix, Brock, and G at our first three weights. That is leaving out one of my favorite guys but someone is going to be sitting next year in those first 3-4 weights.

Reactions: Alpha Poke
I could see it because I don't believe he has developed much since he was a true freshman. He is a tremendous talent on his feet but is weak in the bottom position and he is fairly good in the top position. Kaden Gfeller with freshman development could beat him next year. Despite Kaid's talent on his feet he gives up a lot of takedowns and gets thrown to his back way too often. To me it depends where Fix goes. Picc did not develop his sophomore year and not only did he lose but he got destroyed by Lee and Lizak at Nationals. I want the young guy Gfeller wrestling because he is our future and he may have more potential. However it also could be Gfeller at 49 if he grows and then Picc and Kaid would be wrestling and Lewallan would be out. Basically who knows about our lineup next year.

Not much to the Flo article, they were pretty much guessing like everyone here.

Harley, I've gotta disagree with you on a couple of things regarding development. To me Kaid has improved since his first year. He alternates his lead leg now to change things up and he's clearly stronger. To me, besides his terrible bottom game, his biggest issues are forcing the big throw when it's not there and an over reliance on his throw by. Does anyone have a more diversified neutral offense on the team or even in the country? I don't really think so. I think at 141, no longer cutting weight, he potentially becomes an offensive machine.

And to me Picc was clearly better in neutral and on top, mostly due to getting stronger. But he's also picking up new technique. Flo had a behind the dirt on his 2 on 1. Yes, he got manhandled by Lee, but Lee has turned out to be a superstar. And Lizak is just a terrible match up for him. Although, I will say both of those matches were disappointing. Let me ask you this though, Lizak and Suriano are moving up apparently, so who would be favored over him next year to meet Lee in the finals?
It's not crazy to think that a 125-141 of Picc, Daton, and Kaid all make the finals.

Not much to the Flo article, they were pretty much guessing like everyone here.

Harley, I've gotta disagree with you on a couple of things regarding development. To me Kaid has improved since his first year. He alternates his lead leg now to change things up and he's clearly stronger. To me, besides his terrible bottom game, his biggest issues are forcing the big throw when it's not there and an over reliance on his throw by. Does anyone have a more diversified neutral offense on the team or even in the country? I don't really think so. I think at 141, no longer cutting weight, he potentially becomes an offensive machine.

And to me Picc was clearly better in neutral and on top, mostly due to getting stronger. But he's also picking up new technique. Flo had a behind the dirt on his 2 on 1. Yes, he got manhandled by Lee, but Lee has turned out to be a superstar. And Lizak is just a terrible match up for him. Although, I will say both of those matches were disappointing. Let me ask you this though, Lizak and Suriano are moving up apparently, so who would be favored over him next year to meet Lee in the finals?
It's not crazy to think that a 125-141 of Picc, Daton, and Kaid all make the finals.
No it would not be crazy but this year it would not have been crazy to think we had finalists at 25, 33 and 41 either. 17 it is not unusual for those on this board to disagree with me but if we look at the end of last year to the end of this year if there was improvement by Picc and Kaid it was small. I agree Picc got better on top but on his feet he may have regressed. With Kaid I was shocked how Ohio St kid dominated from neutral position. Also to tech fall a guy 2 months before and then get majored by that same guy is hard to understand except now that guy made lots of progress. The whole year was disappointing to me even though I knew we would not win but I expected better than we did just about the whole year. By the way I appreciated the information about the new recruit. He is a good wrestler but I hope we did not give him much money( nothing against the new recruit). I think we should split 95% of our money between 15 wrestlers and the rest be walkons or close. Now the walkons if they take over a position like Boyd did then they should get more money. I believe we have to do this to compete for Nationals championships.

Last edited:
No it would not be crazy but this year it would not have been crazy to think we had finalists at 25, 33 and 41 either. 17 it is not unusual for those on this board to disagree with me but if we look at the end of last year to the end of this year if there was improvement by Picc and Kaid it was small. I agree Picc got better on top but on his feet he may have regressed. With Kaid I was shocked how Ohio St kid dominated from neutral position. Also to tech fall a guy 2 months before and then get majored by that same guy is hard to understand except now that guy made lots of progress. The whole year was disappointing to me even though I knew we would not win but I expected better than we did just about the whole year. By the way I appreciated the information about the new recruit. He is a good wrestler but I hope we did not give him much money( nothing against the new recruit). I think we should split 95% of our money between 25 wrestlers and the rest be walkons or close. Now the walkons if they take over a position like Boyd did then they should get more money. I believe we have to do this to compete for Nationals championships.

Harley, I appreciate your perspective on things and agree with a lot of what you're saying. I'll reply in more detail later on.

No it would not be crazy but this year it would not have been crazy to think we had finalists at 25, 33 and 41 either. 17 it is not unusual for those on this board to disagree with me but if we look at the end of last year to the end of this year if there was improvement by Picc and Kaid it was small. I agree Picc got better on top but on his feet he may have regressed. With Kaid I was shocked how Ohio St kid dominated from neutral position. Also to tech fall a guy 2 months before and then get majored by that same guy is hard to understand except now that guy made lots of progress. The whole year was disappointing to me even though I knew we would not win but I expected better than we did just about the whole year. By the way I appreciated the information about the new recruit. He is a good wrestler but I hope we did not give him much money( nothing against the new recruit). I think we should split 95% of our money between 15 wrestlers and the rest be walkons or close. Now the walkons if they take over a position like Boyd did then they should get more money. I believe we have to do this to compete for Nationals championships.

After finishing typing this post, I realize it is longgg...

Harley, starting with your 2nd point about recruiting, I agree we need to be very careful about who we target & how much scholarship $ we offer. And absolutely no off years, like our HS class of 2016 might end up, possibly scoring a total of zero points at nationals by the time they graduate. Firepower is needed to win a team title, so that means more $ allocated to fewer wrestlers basically. Maybe the 10 scholarships could be distributed roughly something like 5 guys at 80%-100%, 10 guys at 40%-50%, 10 guys at 5%-15%, and the rest walk-ons that get book money plus have the opportunity to get more if they earn a starting role, make AA, etc.

And I think you're right that someone could have said the same thing about our 125-141 making the finals coming into this year. We had a poor tournament, no getting around it. That's on the wrestlers and the coaches. You can't get the credit if things are good and not take the blame when things are bad. The team certainly knows that better than any of us. But do you really think Picc's neutral game regressed? He took Lee down twice in the first match. Lee is a 3x age level world champion (as great as Daton is, he's only a 2x world champ). You said he wrestled poorly on his feet against Russell in the Edinboro dual (winning on riding time I think). And I agree, he was very cautious against him, but then he took him down twice at nationals. To me, Picc has two areas he needs to improve. The first is he needs to get better on bottom. Even if Lee and Lizak were the two best top wrestlers at 125, he absolutely can't allow himself to get turned. Retherford never turned Anthony Collica that I can recall, Picc can't let Lee turn him. And he has to improve his scrambling, at least to the point of getting a stalemate. That's what did him in against Fausz.

Kaid is even worse than Picc on bottom. It's actually mind boggling that he's been in the room 3 years and gets ridden so easily sometimes. When John Erneste turns you, you've got some work to do. If he doesn't improve on bottom, he's not making the finals at 133 or 141. But he is just fantastic on his feet. To me, he's got to wrestle smart, stay under control, and vary his attacks. He didn't against Wilson (who wrestled out of his mind all tournament) because he was going for the big move stuff and he didn't against Pletcher, who beat him with counter offense stuff. But I really believe Kaid is better than both of them, now he's got to prove it.

Last edited:
I have zero inside info but I would be absolutely shocked if Picc, Fix and Brock aren’t all in the lineup next year. Those are arguably our three best guys.

Really solid point. I have no idea about weight changes at other schools and freshman/redshirt guys. However, based on returning All-Americans you can make a case Boo would be ranked as high as No. 2 preseason.

Come on. Kolodzik and Leeth are both back next year and finished higher than. You really think Boo is going to be ranked higher than either one of them? Check out the comparisons on wrestlestat.com. They have Boo losing to both of them. I see him as 3 at best, barring anyone changing weight.

Come on. Kolodzik and Leeth are both back next year and finished higher than. You really think Boo is going to be ranked higher than either one of them? Check out the comparisons on wrestlestat.com. They have Boo losing to both of them. I see him as 3 at best, barring anyone changing weight.
Ashnault gets 6th year, and they say he is going 49 too. But, it really doesn't matter where you are ranked preseason, and Boo showed that this year.

So your big beef is that I said "could be" as high as No. 2 and you think it could be 3? I forgot about Leeth. My point was 149 really clears out and there aren't a lot of top guys returning.

Reactions: osu2082
At best 3. I see him in the 5-8 range based on who is rumored to be coming in.

Which is why I prefaced everything with "I have no idea about weight changes at other schools and freshman/redshirt guys. However, based on returning All-Americans".

you do know that boo beat leeth last year in the beginning of the season and lost to him at the home duel where boo was in on several shots so thinking boo can be as high as #2 is not a long shot.

As a fan of the conference and wanting to see improvement I would love to see and shoot for 7 NCAA qualifiers for OU next season.
OU will have ten NCAA tournament qualifiers, but Rosselli will leave one random wrestler at home just because qualifying all ten just seems unfair.

Ethan Andersen has transferred to Iowa St. He was granted a full release.

I did not post about it at the time, but his father passed suddenly in early April. He has now tweeted and spoken about it, so I think it's OK to share.

Condolences to him and his family and best of luck going forward.

Last edited:
Ethan wasn't unhappy with his coaches or teamates at OSU, but wanted to come home to be with his family after the tragic death of his father. John Smith again proves to be a first class person in his handling of the situation.
It is sad to hear about his father’s passing, but I am glad he has an opportunity to be closer to his family during this difficult time. I am hoping he has success at Iowa St.

Some of the 2019 recruits started committing recently. One of the few "sleepers" I liked verballed to Virginia Tech yesterday - Bryce Andonian out of Ohio. Flo has him at #94 and he projects to 141/149. I have no reason to think there was interest either way (other than a possible St Eds connection), but I believe he is an under the radar type guy that could really surprise in college.

This is a relatively weak class. For example, Gilroy's Tony Andrade was unranked this year, but the guy he beat in the CA state semis, Ryan Reyes, is ranked #32. BTW, I watched a few more of Andrade's matches and I don't know if he is a good fit. I think we should pass. In fact, there are very few guys remaining in the 2018 & 2019 classes that I like. I already mentioned not being impressed by #12 Brevin Balmaceda.

Should be interesting to see what our staff does. Maybe our best strategy (and riskiest) would be to target potential transfers (like Dakota Greer?) and walk ons. Then save money to go all in with big offers in 2020 - AJ Ferrari, Dustin Plott, Jesse Vasquez, Robert Howard.

Some of the 2019 recruits started committing recently. One of the few "sleepers" I liked verballed to Virginia Tech yesterday - Bryce Andonian out of Ohio. Flo has him at #94 and he projects to 141/149. I have no reason to think there was interest either way (other than a possible St Eds connection), but I believe he is an under the radar type guy that could really surprise in college.

This is a relatively weak class. For example, Gilroy's Tony Andrade was unranked this year, but the guy he beat in the CA state semis, Ryan Reyes, is ranked #32. BTW, I watched a few more of Andrade's matches and I don't know if he is a good fit. I think we should pass. In fact, there are very few guys remaining in the 2018 & 2019 classes that I like. I already mentioned not being impressed by #12 Brevin Balmaceda.

Should be interesting to see what our staff does. Maybe our best strategy (and riskiest) would be to target potential transfers (like Dakota Greer?) and walk ons. Then save money to go all in with big offers in 2020 - AJ Ferrari, Dustin Plott, Jesse Vasquez, Robert Howard.
Only slightly off topic, but when was the last transfer anywhere that over performed against expectations? I'm not talking forced transfers like Seth Gross, I'm talking Juco transfers, grad transfers, and other FR and RSFR transfers where the kid wanted to move. Joey McKenna placed 3rd last year, and that was about to expectations. From my experience at PSU, we occasionally bring kids in as transfers, and for all the trials and tribulations, they don't provide a lot at nationals over what we had on the team. I appreciate their sacrifice and participation, but I wonder sometimes if we over value the greener grass in the other pasture.

He wrestled in 2 college opens this past year. I know he was registered for the Scuffle and at least one other tournament, but then ended up missing them.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/39786/smith-joe/profile

Think maybe he has been battling some injuries. He was also supposed to wrestle at the US Open, but didn't go there either. Hopefully we see him at U23s, along with some others.

Or Jose Canseco...

Looks like west2east might be right. Flo tweeted a clip of Daton warming up with Picc from earlier today and Picc looked quite a bit bigger than Daton. Didn't see Jose or Gary, but they were probably around somewhere.

From PF:

The Cowboys picked up a big time transfer today that may help solidify the top half of the lineup the next few years with NCAA qualifier and EIWA champ Dakota Geer.

Geer was big name recruit out of high school as a Pennsylvania state champ and two-time Flo-nationals champ. He was ranked most of his senior season as the top 182-pounder in the country.

Geer wrestled as a true freshman, had a thirty win season and qualified for the NCAA tournament where he won two matches. He opted to redshirt last year as a sophomore, but prior to his decision to redshirt he was the preseason No. 9 ranked wrestler at 184 pounds last year. He has wins and higher tournament finishes over a few All-Americans from last year. He’ll have three years of eligibility remaining and will not be required to sit out a year. He is eligible to start immediately.

In this video here you can catch a few clips of him giving fits to two time OSU All-American Nolan Boyd at about the five minute mark. Geer was ranked 18th in the country at the time.

gotta be jacobe v chandler at 74

jo at 65

this guy at 84

57 looks like the vacuum weight

Very nice. I've been sort of secretly hoping we might land him. Even checking out his twitter occasionally for an encouraging sign (there were none).

Another plus, besides those mentioned already, is that he is our first PA guy since Chance Marstellar. We have to start making some in roads there again. I really like what our staff is doing from a recruiting standpoint.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT