ADVERTISEMENT

Next years roster

PA has 322 entries Oklahoma has 30. Eye opening for some who just don’t understand the built in advantage the Big 4 ( PSU, OSU , Mich and Iowa) of the Big 10 have over us .

If we had better marketing from our Schools combined with an exciting RTC and events...we would be just fine.

Butler is going to give it a go in the Semi but he won’t be close to 100%

Zane Coleman got beat 6 to 0 in the quarters. He has been poor in neutral, he is a good rider. These last couple of matches I have watched he has not looked good.

If we had better marketing from our Schools combined with an exciting RTC and events...we would be just fine.

This won't help the conference. Bono is taking the Wisconsin job after Davis retired. Notice the article points out how marketing savvy SDSU was under Bono (remember the attention the Gross / Meredith match drew).

Going to say it again, we are terrible at marketing and social media.

http://news.theopenmat.com/blog/201...-head-coaching-position-university-wisconsin/

Reactions: chasepollard
This won't help the conference. Bono is taking the Wisconsin job after Davis retired. Notice the article points out how marketing savvy SDSU was under Bono (remember the attention the Gross / Meredith match drew).

Going to say it again, we are terrible at marketing and social media.

http://news.theopenmat.com/blog/201...-head-coaching-position-university-wisconsin/
Butler loses 4-1 in the 138 semis to Trevor Jefferies of Wyoming. Jefferies won the 138 pound title in Wyoming 15-4 in the finals.Just watched the match. Butler had his left ankle taped and was moving gingerly on it. To be fair Jefferies had a shoulder wrap. Jefferies got an early take down and rode out the first period. He took down and escaped to go ahead in 2nd period. Butler took down in the 3rd and escaped and made 3-4 good shots but did not finish and with 1:06 left in the 3rd he had to take a time out holding onto his ankle. Butler made two more good attempts but could not finish and the match ended 4-1 with riding time.

Last edited:
Yes butler has a pretty bad high ankle sprain. He is pretty upset he couldn’t wrestle healthy but it happens

By virtue of Wittlake defeating Haydon Hidlay recently we need to consider him wrestling next year. I know this is one week after the NCAA tournament and Hidlay may not have been focused, but that is a massive win for an incoming freshman.

Let me correct this post as it was Hidlay's younger brother and not Haydon. TF Poke let me know my mistake politely as opposed to abusing me as he would have in college. TF is maturing quite nicely.

Last edited:
By virtue of Wittlake defeating Haydon Hidlay recently we need to consider him wrestling next year. I know this is one week after the NCAA tournament and Hidlay may not have been focused, but that is a massive win for an incoming freshman.

I think you are confusing Hidlays. Still a hell of a win from Wittlake.

Reactions: osu2082
We need a 57 and 1 from the 2019 class from Ohio, Connor Brady just committed to Virginia tech. He is the 10th rated wrestler in the 2019 class. I do see that there is a top 57 in the 2019 class Brevin Balmeceda from Florida who 12 rated 12th in the country overall. He is in the quarters at the National tournament 152 for juniors

Article pulled from the Iowa board. Brevin has the Pokes in his top 5 schools. Won Super32 and NHSCA Nationals (3x). Seems to be good on top, but his conditioning could maybe improve some.

http://usatodayhss.com/2018/brevin-balmeceda-wrestling-south-dade

Reactions: Harleycowboy
Kurt McHenry commits to Michigan. A little surprised because the indications were Cornell. Michigan has recruited very well lately.

Kurt McHenry commits to Michigan. A little surprised because the indications were Cornell. Michigan has recruited very well lately.
Michigan has increased their levels for sure. And with new coach, may get even better. We are getting better next year, but will it be enough? Gonna be fun preseason sitting down and working through it

Michigan has increased their levels for sure. And with new coach, may get even better. We are getting better next year, but will it be enough? Gonna be fun preseason sitting down and working through it

Yeah, they will be pretty tough. They just got Kanen Storr as a transfer also.

Baring injuries, I see PSU as the heavy favorite next year, with us, Iowa and tOSU fighting for 2nd. Then in 2020, I think you have us battling Iowa, PSU and now Michigan for the team title. tOSU would be a contender in 2020 as well if they redshirt Martin and McKenna next year, but it looks like they won't.

Yeah, they will be pretty tough. They just got Kanen Storr as a transfer also.

Baring injuries, I see PSU as the heavy favorite next year, with us, Iowa and tOSU fighting for 2nd. Then in 2020, I think you have us battling Iowa, PSU and now Michigan for the team title. tOSU would be a contender in 2020 as well if they redshirt Martin and McKenna next year, but it looks like they won't.

Desanto could really help Iowa if they can land him.

Reactions: Air_Thurman
Desanto could really help Iowa if they can land him.

I think he would help them in 2020 and beyond, but I don't think they threaten PSU next year. Even in 2020, 133 will be loaded and DeSanto may not do better than low AA. Micic, Pletcher, Suriano, Vito, RBY/Teasdale, Bridges, Mueller, plus Daton/Kaid/Picc.

Article pulled from the Iowa board. Brevin has the Pokes in his top 5 schools. Won Super32 and NHSCA Nationals (3x). Seems to be good on top, but his conditioning could maybe improve some.

http://usatodayhss.com/2018/brevin-balmeceda-wrestling-south-dade
I agree in his finals win 11-0 he scored most of his points in the first period, some in second and none in the third and he looked gassed. He looks strong but mainly relies on tilts on top and man handle type moves from his underhooks on his feet. He is the top rated 165 pound junior in the country. Semi-impressed but my guess we would pass on him but what do I know.

I agree in his finals win 11-0 he scored most of his points in the first period, some in second and none in the third and he looked gassed. He looks strong but mainly relies on tilts on top and man handle type moves from his underhooks on his feet. He is the top rated 165 pound junior in the country. Semi-impressed but my guess we would pass on him but what do I know.

I agree with you Obe. I guess I was just being diplomatic.

After reading the article, I went back and watched some of his Super32 and NHSCA matches and he pretty much gassed in all of them, actually taking a knee in the 1st period sometimes. He sort of reminds me of Eric Grajales, another talented FL prep middleweight that just never got over his conditioning issues while at Michigan.

FRL says GWH was granted a release to transfer. Makes sense after seeing Eli's success. Gary gave 125 a go early this year, then had a terrific season back up at 133. Wishing him well if he does choose to leave.
He’ll always be a Cowboy in my mind.

Reactions: Rdcldad
Colton Denney loses in overtime 3-1 to #3 seed Murphy.
Colton Denney has won two matches in consos and is in the conso semifinals against Sean Harmon. Val Park will wrestle for 7th place against Braden Palmer. So both OK wrestlers have placed and Denney has the opportunity for 3rd.

Reactions: Rdcldad
Colton Denney has won two matches in consos and is in the conso semifinals against Sean Harmon. Val Park will wrestle for 7th place against Braden Palmer. So both OK wrestlers have placed and Denney has the opportunity for 3rd.
Park was 7th and Denney ended up in 5th place.

Butler Picked OU (Puke) because they came up with double the money to help him with school sure wish it would have worked out for Us to get Him but OSU couldn’t make it happen With the money.

good for him, the money is hard to pass up
Nothing against Butler because he could become an all American at some point in his career but I believe we can't give a bunch of money to good wrestlers but may never start or All American at Oklahoma State. So I think letting him go to OU may be the smart move. If we are to win Nationals again we need to make changes in how we do things. Flo has an article on our lineup next year. Some interesting ideas are part of this article. They project Joe Smith may wrestle 74, Fix at 33, and Jacobe Smith at 84. This means Picc would be at 25 and Brock, Lewallan, and Gfeller compete at 41 and 49. They project Martinez going to 57 to compete with Blaylock. They mention Joe Smith if he could make weight at 57 would be best for us. With recruiting we got Montalvo and we should continue to recruit the top California guys.

Reactions: 100TonsofOrangeFury
I read the same article and I didn't like the middle weight projection. I guess that it all falls on Joe and if he wants to cut weight. If he goes to 157, we are a strong line-up, Flo's line-up looks suspect to me as we are wrestling a couple of guys out of their weight. I would rather keep Jacobe at 174 and let Joe try 184.

I didn't like the article at all. It created a mess of what ifs and maybes that project finishes of possibles.

John Smith doesn't operate like that, I don't think.

I would bet we see Picc, Fix and Brock at two weights unless Brock can really pack on the size. I see the same scenario at 65 and 74 with Rogers, Smith and Smith. Joe may try to get to 57 and wrestle there some, but who knows on that front.

We have a logjam of very talented wrestlers which is why the issues in the article are legitimate. I am sure the coaches have a plan and do think we will see 3-4 guys move up in weight. A few will be just natural progression but the others will be part of their offseason program.

Sometimes we forget these kids grow. Brock and Rogers are both guys who have really tough cuts to get to 133 and 165. It's a good problem to have.

I have no inside info, but I would be dumbfounded if Kaid Brock isn't wrestling 141 next season.
I could see it because I don't believe he has developed much since he was a true freshman. He is a tremendous talent on his feet but is weak in the bottom position and he is fairly good in the top position. Kaden Gfeller with freshman development could beat him next year. Despite Kaid's talent on his feet he gives up a lot of takedowns and gets thrown to his back way too often. To me it depends where Fix goes. Picc did not develop his sophomore year and not only did he lose but he got destroyed by Lee and Lizak at Nationals. I want the young guy Gfeller wrestling because he is our future and he may have more potential. However it also could be Gfeller at 49 if he grows and then Picc and Kaid would be wrestling and Lewallan would be out. Basically who knows about our lineup next year.

I could see it because I don't believe he has developed much since he was a true freshman. He is a tremendous talent on his feet but is weak in the bottom position and he is fairly good in the top position. Kaden Gfeller with freshman development could beat him next year. Despite Kaid's talent on his feet he gives up a lot of takedowns and gets thrown to his back way too often. To me it depends where Fix goes. Picc did not develop his sophomore year and not only did he lose but he got destroyed by Lee and Lizak at Nationals. I want the young guy Gfeller wrestling because he is our future and he may have more potential. However it also could be Gfeller at 49 if he grows and then Picc and Kaid would be wrestling and Lewallan would be out. Basically who knows about our lineup next year.
Our future 174 destroyed his opponent at the dream team classic looking very good on his feet and very good in the top position. Tech fall in the 2nd period. He looks like our next Dieringer. He should redshirt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT