ADVERTISEMENT

M6 Scout by Springfield Armory

Rulz

Heisman Candidate
Gold Member
Jan 10, 2005
This is my "Holy Grail" of guns. Just to me, maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but I have always dug the hell out of over and under combo guns.

The M6 Aircrew Survival Weapon or, for us civilians, the M6 Scout. The Internet has some information on these that is scattered, some true, some not. I have done a lot of poking around to get the facts as true as I can, so I will only talk about what I believe to be true. You can check out the Wikipedia article about this gun. What is there seems to be correct except for one thing...the omission of the most rare combination. .22 magnum over .410. This combination seems to have came about early on in the civilian production of this gun from the late 70s/early 80s. The earliest examples were made without a trigger guard and without the removable pin attaching the barrels to the receiver and stock assembly at the hinge point, using a pin slotted on the ends and secured with a retaining ring on both sides. These early examples also had a push button safety just above the trigger. All of these early and later examples shared the same trigger bar, designed to be fired more easily in cold weather should the operator be wearing heavy mittens or gloves.

The other offerings were in the more common .22 LR and the less common .22 Hornet (center fire cartridge). The military versions were noted for their 14 inch barrels and were sometimes chambered in the above rifle calibers as with 45 long colt being an option for the lower barrel. This made them necessary for classification as an "AOW" (any other weapon) with the appropriate forms for civilian ownership.

My example is an early one, no trigger guard, .22 magnum/.410 shotgun without quick detach pin and parkerized finish. Later examples had the option of stainless steel as well, some coming in a package with a blue plastic storage case and soft case that housed the gun broken down. Interestingly enough, I was fortunate enough to have the original box with paper work and soft case for mine, the soft case being a straight case that doesn't require the action open and the gun folded, or the removal of the pin. I have all the paperwork and original warranty card with a date of September 1st 1985 as the time for when the warranty would be effective from. There's also a page of options you could purchase from Springfield, like a cleaning kit, different cases, and interestingly enough, a quick detach pin. This optional pin being available during this time makes me think some folks may feel they have a later version if the pin was replaced when they in fact have an early gun.

Also I might add, sometime after 1985, these were no longer made in the US. Springfield had CZ of the Czech Republic making the gun, with the gun labeled as "Springfield M6 scout" on one side of the receiver and "CZ Czech Republic" on the other side. Mine is of course the US made version.

Haven't fired this yet. Planning to later this weekend. As usual, I will post back my findings and feelings towards the performance after a run at the range. Take a look at the pics and if you are interested, do a little Google. Fun guns to research and whatnot. Lack of serial number/date information makes it difficult to know just exactly when a particular example was made...but they ceased production of these guns in 2004.

Will have to post pics in another post

I forgot to mention, it stores the ammo in the buttstock, 14 rounds of .22 mag and 4 rounds of .410. Barrel selector is just above the hammer, pull up for .22 mag, down to get nasty with the .410. Also, sight is a flip sight with both marked, one ring sight for .22, the other notched and marked ".410".

Pretty stiff trigger, but these weren't meant for significant accuracy. These are more of a "tool"...

Have you seen the M30 Luftwaffe Survival Drilling? Very different from the M6, but very cool and rare.

I have seen one of those, and I love drillings. I have another thread on here about the Chiappa triple threat. Chiappa sells inserts so that you could shoot .22, 9 mm, 45 ACP, etc., out of the middle barrel of that gun. But, you can't select barrels so it's kinda silly.

I also have a Savage Model 24. Again, I love obscure and "weird" guns, especially combo guns. Mine is chambered in .357 mag over 20 gauge...

It's on the bottom on that last photo. Some people laugh about my scope on that gun...until they shoot it. With the right .357 load, I can hammer a 6 inch plate at 100 yards off hand with very little effort. 38 specials are a dream. Of course, the scope is useless with the 20 gauge, but I have shot that gun so much that I can aim with it at my shoulder and hit what I want within 25 yards or so just by looking down the top of the gun. Sounds crazy, but I learned quickly that scopes and shottys aren't the greatest idea...

Out of all my guns, that little Savage is my baby.

Before I forget, Liberty Civil Defense ammo in .357 is awesome. It's rated at 2200 fps out of a 6 inch barrel. 50 g bullet. I am not for sure what is out of my Savage, but when I have used it, it got there IN A HURRY. Low recoil as well. Spenzive basterds.

I think that Chiappa is pretty fun, but I think if I personally were to invest in one, I'd got with one of the collectible Germanic made like Heym, Krieghoff, or Merkel, specifically a pre-1945.

Cool guns for sure and the old German made firearms are interesting because apparently hundreds of thousands of hunting arms were destroyed by Hitler when he took power and by the Allies at the end of the war.

Reportedly there were literally millions of dollars worth of irreplaceable hunting rifles and firearms destroyed during this time. Some of what is available today were firearms smuggled into the US illegally by American soldiers during occupation. Of course the unicorn of all WWII firearms is the collection of Hermann Goering, specifically his hand made drillings. Lots of fakes, but there were apparently a few shotguns with his personal family crest that made it over and into auction over the last 40 years.

The NRA museum guys think there are probably between 100-500 personal firearms of Hitler, Goering, and other top German brass that are in personal collections that are largely unknown. Their combined worth in well into the millions as they are incredibly rare handmade works with lots of history associated with them. Apocryphal stories abound, but one of the most credible is that Allied General staff officers secured hundreds of firearms slated for destruction and took them into their personal possession.

Not sure how this rant got started, but for someone who likes collectible firearms, thought you'd like it.

And while I'm waxing nonsensically, I despise what the world wars did to sporting arms and some of the great traditions of Teutonic hunting arms and sporting traditions. Clearly, some of that has been given life again over the decades, but what has been lost is forever irreplaceable.

If I had money, I'd run down anything in this line I could. I especially love the non-utilitarian extravagance of the vintage German Schuetzen rifles and the old Austrian single shot customs of the late 19th, early 20th centuries.

I have dabbled a bit into the history you speak of dts, but I didn't know much of what you posted. That's good stuff. I have seen the drillings listed in Gunbroker, but good lord...I would have to take out a second mortgage to own one, and if I was going that route I would be using the money to obtain a fully auto whatever lol.

Still, those are beautiful guns. I have held a very old German shotgun once, it was double barrel and the craftsmanship was remarkable. They are works of art really on top of being an amazing gun. The drillings with their multiple calibers (and the four barrel veirlings....I've even heard of a five barrel "funling") would be awesome if they were chambered for more modern rounds.

It's easy to see that something like that probably won't be made any time soon. The cost of production would be ridiculous and the average gun owner wouldn't be able to afford something like that. Plus, it might be that the knowledge of regulating 3, 4 and 5 barrels is a lost art on today's gun makers. I don't know that for sure, but after 100 years of wars and emphasis on higher production as opposed to craftsmanship, that type of gun might have to be researched all over again just to be built.

An example of this is the Henry Original Rifle currently being produced by Henry Repeatinf Arms. Even though the design was found to be "flawed" with the open magazine tube running below the barrel, I have seen videos and discussion about how difficult it was to machine the barrel and magazine as one solid piece, instead of simply machining two pieces and then welding them together. The original Henry rifles were machined as one piece construction from the development in the late 1850s until the introduction of the 1866 Winchester with the Kings patented side loading port (which was used for lever guns from then on...). The new Henry rifle is fairly expensive with the base model around 1800-2000 bucks. The engraved versions are significantly higher.

I have the iron frame version...for a big slow cartridge like the 44-40, they are pretty damned accurate. Nothing like being at the range on a cold overcast fall day and plinking with a lever gun...

Reactions: dtspoke
While most of the guns you guys are talking about do little for me, old lever action iron sighted rifles heat me up. I would probably buy a new(er) model to shoot and have always wanted a 44-40 to match my Colt. There seems to be a handful of brands out there. Does anyone know if any are better/more accurate than others? Or all of them just made in the same plant and rebranded?

I have my geandpa's lever action Winchester 22. One tiny scuff on the stock. Super fun to shoot.

Reactions: panhndlpoke
I've got a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 Govt that's pretty darn accurate to 200 with iron sights.

I've got a buddy that hunts with a Winchester 86 with open sights. Killed about half a dozen elk with it in dark timber.

I've got a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 Govt that's pretty darn accurate to 200 with iron sights.

I've got a buddy that hunts with a Winchester 86 with open sights. Killed about half a dozen elk with it in dark timber.

Where I live, a lever action short distance rifle makes zero sense but I have never bothered to stick to what makes sense with firearms.

If you like the old levers, I highly encourage it as they are fun to shoot. Especially offhand as they aren't really precision equipment

You can feed that 45-70 anything 300 grains or less and it has very minimal recoil. Shooting 405 grain Cor-Bon will get your attention

While most of the guns you guys are talking about do little for me, old lever action iron sighted rifles heat me up. I would probably buy a new(er) model to shoot and have always wanted a 44-40 to match my Colt. There seems to be a handful of brands out there. Does anyone know if any are better/more accurate than others? Or all of them just made in the same plant and rebranded?

You said you wanted one in 44-40 right?

The Henry Original Rifle in 44-40 is probably the best being produced right now. Made in America with all American materials. I own 3 of these....I've shot old Winchesters and the like...unless you are just wanting the loading gate, you can't get much better exact reproduction of the 1860 Henry rifle (which would look great with your SAA Colt) than the ones made currently by Henry Repeating Arms (no relation to the gentleman that made HENRY guns for NEW HAVEN arms prior to them being renamed Winchester..)

Yeah. 44-40. My Colt is case hardened finish and would sort of like them to match but not required. I'll look at the Henry's. I know Uberti makes several different ones and I'd go for a carbine if I was buying right now.

If you like the old levers, I highly encourage it as they are fun to shoot. Especially offhand as they aren't really precision equipment

You can feed that 45-70 anything 300 grains or less and it has very minimal recoil. Shooting 405 grain Cor-Bon will get your attention

I actually have a 45-70 but it is ancient and I wouldn't want to shoot it. It hung on a saddle in my father's office for 30 years.

Yeah. 44-40. My Colt is case hardened finish and would sort of like them to match but not required. I'll look at the Henry's. I know Uberti makes several different ones and I'd go for a carbine if I was buying right now.

If you look at my pic, you can see that my Henry Original is case hardened.

They run around 2K depending on where you get them. I can get one for right at 2K. I know you can get a Uberti cheaper, but just wanted throw that out there. I might be able to get one cheaper, not sure now. I got mine last October.

If you look at my pic, you can see that my Henry Original is case hardened.

They run around 2K depending on where you get them. I can get one for right at 2K. I know you can get a Uberti cheaper, but just wanted throw that out there. I might be able to get one cheaper, not sure now. I got mine last October.

For some reason your earlier post with the picture of the Henry didn't show up or I missed it earlier. I looked up the Henry's today and honestly don't know if I would pick a case hardened or brass. Both tug at me.

The case hardened to me is the best because it's just more durable. The brass guns are gorgeous, I have the 1st and 2nd edition engraved originals as well, but they are safe queens really. Yeah, I jumped all in at the "1 of a 1000" deal on those lol. I worry too much about scratching the brass on those. I have a 44 mag carbine big boy and I have scratched up the receiver pretty easily a couple of times. But I don't care as much about that one, I bought it for different reasons other than being a safe queen. Home protection? Maybe...

But I shoot the Iron Frame. It's one of my most accurate guns really. Hitting a steel silhouette target at 100 yards off hand is a breeze with those guns. The 44-40 out of that barrel hits fairly hard for what it is. And of course, being a pistol caliber out that big octagon barrel, it's pretty quiet. I've shot it without ear protection once or twice (accidentally really, but it makes a sweet sound).

The most fun I have had at the range lately is with that gun, setting up clays at 50 taking them down as fast as I can. If you plan on doing cowboy action shooting, it would be an expensive gun to throw around, but I'm stupid enough to do it lol.

I don't do cowboy action mostly because there aren't any locally. They look like a lot of fun. Honestly, 44 special/mag would be an awesome round for plinking with the massive quantities of ammo available, but I gotta have a matched set! Which would also necessitate a case hardened rifle.

Case hardened could be the way to go. (I just don't like brass myself. nothing subtle about that!) With a case hardened rifle, then you'll only need a matching double barreled stagecoach shotgun and you got it covered.

I had the opportunity to buy a couple of old Ruger Vaqueros in 44-40, but I was hot and heavy for a M1 Garand at the time and had to pass them up. They weren't at a bad price either, but what made me hesitate was the chamber issues with the old Ruger 44-40s. Apparently they used the same barrel as for the 44 mag, so they weren't known for their accuracy. I'm sure there's some 44-40 case hardened Ubertis out there, but I really like the American made guns. Plus, I've held the Uberti version of the 1860 Henry and it's just not quite the gun that the Henry Original is. I'm sure the Ubertis are fine and dandy, it's just me and my quest for an All-American line up with a double shotty, the Henry Original, and a sweet pair of case hardened pistols.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT