ADVERTISEMENT

Johns Hopkins: No evidence people are born gay or transgender

Yeah but homosexuality is no longer a sin right?
Wrong.

Romans 1:26-28 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting;

That's New Testament, not Mosaic law.

Wrong.

Romans 1:26-28 For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting;

That's New Testament, not Mosaic law.
Doesn't sound like a blanket prohibition to me, just Paul being a judgey iron age prude

Yeah but homosexuality is no longer a sin right?

Sin still exists, hence our ongoing need for a savior. Obviously this thread is about homosexuality, but on this point I don't want to single it out. Jesus changed the whole paradigm about the nature of our relationship with God. Sin was no longer just what we did - it is a matter of the heart.

Regarding marriage, I believe God set apart marriage between a man and a woman to be a sacred picture of the relationship between Christ and His church (Ephesians 5:21-33). I don't mean they're identical - I am not my wife's savior, and she is not supposed to worship me. But given that passage specifically mentions husbands and wives only, and the other passages in the New Testament that speak to homosexuality, the conclusion I've come to is that it is still a sin.

Sin still exists, hence our ongoing need for a savior. Obviously this thread is about homosexuality, but on this point I don't want to single it out. Jesus changed the whole paradigm about the nature of our relationship with God. Sin was no longer just what we did - it is a matter of the heart.

Regarding marriage, I believe God set apart marriage between a man and a woman to be a sacred picture of the relationship between Christ and His church (Ephesians 5:21-33). I don't mean they're identical - I am not my wife's savior, and she is not supposed to worship me. But given that passage specifically mentions husbands and wives only, and the other passages in the New Testament that speak to homosexuality, the conclusion I've come to is that it is still a sin.
Sin has always been a matter of the heart.

I respect your beliefs, but you have to admit that's a pretty questionable case in the face of Luke chapter 10.

Also - most women are bi.

AebWPnzlTqO0ITz_NFeFzOnTwnqOYvKqKJrOgxEK6WY.jpg

The Bible says it's wrong.

The Bible says a lot of things are wrong. It also describes how an abortion procedure should be performed, which most anti-abortion proponents ignore for some reason.

Regardless though, the Bible isn't the Constitution nor do all people accept the Bible as a guide. Unless you are proposing turning our nation into a theocracy, I don't really understand why you are referencing the Bible.

Reactions: Syskatine
But religious people also want the right to be able to say they disagree with that lifestyle. That's not hate-speech.

Then say it. I don't see anyone stopping you from saying it on this thread or stopping certain "religious" people from saying it.

Some religious folk still claim interracial marriage is a sin. No one is stopping them.

They just can't force that hateful message on the rest of us by using the law. That is all.

Reactions: Been Jammin
The Bible says a lot of things are wrong. It also describes how an abortion procedure should be performed, which most anti-abortion proponents ignore for some reason.

Regardless though, the Bible isn't the Constitution nor do all people accept the Bible as a guide. Unless you are proposing turning our nation into a theocracy, I don't really understand why you are referencing the Bible.

Are you a freshman in high school?

They'll say that God has the prerogative to kill babies because he has such a good handle on right and wrong.

You think I'm kidding? Start a thread with numbers 5 and watch!

They'll say that God has the prerogative to kill babies because he has such a good handle on right and wrong.

You think I'm kidding? Start a thread with numbers 5 and watch!

Ah, Numbers 5. A man who truly knows his Bible!

The ordeal of the bitter water.

Reactions: Syskatine
Can you cite that passage? I'm bible ignorant but I've never heard of any reference to the bible describing how abortion procedures should be performed.

Can you cite that passage? I'm bible ignorant but I've never heard of any reference to the bible describing how abortion procedures should be performed.

Numbers 5.

Also, check out Exodus 21 and how the Bible treats the fetus as a property interest of the husband and not on the same "level" as the life of the woman.

Passages such as this can be understood in light of Genesis 2:7 and Ezekiel 37 (among others) which teach that breath is life.

Numbers chapter 5.

Doesn't seem like abortion to me, but who knows

Reactions: Medic007
Numbers 5.

Also, check out Exodus 21 and how the Bible treats the fetus as a property interest of the husband and not on the same "level" as the life of the woman.

Passages such as this can be understood in light of Genesis 2:7 and Ezekiel 37 (among others) which teach that breath is life.

You belong in a mental hospital.

Numbers chapter 5.

Doesn't seem like abortion to me, but who knows

It speaks of the ordeal of the bitter water. Sotah ("if she has strayed").

It was reserved for women who committed (or whose husband believed had committed) adultery. It was part of the priestly code. It is spoken of in more detail in the Talmud too. It was partly an abortifacient if the woman was pregnant. Some believe it could also lead to a uterine prolapse.

This passage doesn't get preached on very often (i.e. not at all) in most conservative Christian churches because it doesn't align with the anti-abortion political message. The passages that speak of breath being life also aren't preached nor are they taught anymore in the conservative Christian seminaries.

Numbers 5.

None of that is

It also describes how an abortion procedure should be performed, which most anti-abortion proponents ignore for some reason.

Numbers 5 discusses a test of infidelity according to what I just read. The references in the other passages have nothing to do with abortion procedures by my comprehension. I'm familiar with much of the BCE era scholarly text about abortion, but I've never once heard that there's any reference to abortion procedures in the bible.

Can you cite the exact passages that you believe are about abortion procedures?

The passages that speak of breath being life also aren't preached nor are they taught anymore in the conservative Christian seminaries.
In defense of the bible, they didn't have ultrasound when the bible was written. It's easy to understand why people in that era didn't understand fetal development very well.

Numbers 5 discusses a test of infidelity according to what I just read.

Yes, which resulted in an abortifacient if the woman was pregnant and could even lead to a uterine prolapse.

The references in the other passages have nothing to do with abortion procedures by my comprehension.

The other passages were cited to give a background to the basis for how Sotah could be seen as justifiable within the Old Testament worldview.

They were also cited to reference a well-known theological position within both the Jewish and Christian traditions. A position that has been downplayed (or outright ignored) by conservative Christians since 1973.

Abortion advocated in the bible?
Right, and silver will hit 100 bucks an ounce.

Your blasphemy is staggering.

It is tough (and shocking) when that political message you get preached every Sunday at church is challenged by using the Bible itself, isn't it?:D

Want to talk about David and Jonathan's special relationship . . . or would that be too much right now?

Reactions: Been Jammin
It is tough when that political message you get preached every Sunday at church is challenged by using the Bible itself, isn't it?:D

Want to talk about David and Jonathan's special relationship . . . or would that be too much right now?
No, I don't consort with myopic fools.

Reactions: 22LR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT